Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] Anthony Mantha signs extension (4 years, $5.7M AAV)

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yzerman signings vs. evolving-hockey.com estimations.

- Tyler Bertuzzi, 1-year 3.5M (estimation 4.182M) - 16.3% bargain
- Vlad Namestnikov, 2-years 2.0M (estimation 3.238M) - 38.2% bargain
- Troy Stecher, 2 years, 1.7M (estimation 1.96M) - 13.3% bargain
- Jon Merrill, 1-year 925k (estimation 1.802M) - 48.3% bargain
- Bobby Ryan, 1-year 1M (estimation 1.139M) - 12.2% bargain
- Sam Gagner, 1-year 850k (estimation 1.044M) - 18.6% bargain
- Anthony Mantha, 4-year 5.7M (estimation 6.536M) - 12.8% bargain

All "summer" signings TOTAL:
- 15.675M

Estimated TOTAL:
- 19.901M

Savings 21,24%
Wonder how the rest of the UFA signings fared.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Wonder how the rest of the UFA signings fared.

Yzerman did damn good and I mean really good. Only thing I’d have wanted to see different as a wings fan (generally speaking as I’m not one) would have been a longer term on Bertuzzi.

Holland did very well too. Outside of retaining Smith I like all the moves and cap hits.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Great deal for Detroit. Gotta feel for Mantha, though. If he hadn't had his season de-railed between injuries and COVID, he was probably looking at a long term, $7.5M to $8M deal.

If he got 7.5-8m I'd be very very worried as a Red Wings fan. This contract is right around where he is worth - which also makes it a good signing given players generally get more than they are worth nowadays. The guy has an injury history and is also very streaky even when healthy.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
If he got 7.5-8m I'd be very very worried as a Red Wings fan. This contract is right around where he is worth - which also makes it a good signing given players generally get more than they are worth nowadays. The guy has an injury history and is also very streaky even when healthy.

If (big if) he stays healthy; he’s easily worth 8M+. His injuries have been very unlucky too. As it stands right now, if you’re somebody who just looks at the raw stats, the wings are paying 5.7M for a 50Pt scorer who’s very capable of putting 70-80 throughout a 82 game season which in my eyes is a solid bargain.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If (big if) he stays healthy; he’s easily worth 8M+. His injuries have been very unlucky too. As it stands right now, if you’re somebody who just looks at the raw stats, the wings are paying 5.7M for a 50Pt scorer who’s very capable of putting 70-80 throughout a 82 game season which in my eyes is a solid bargain.

I just spit my drink out of my nose. Thanks!

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I just spit my drink out of my nose. Thanks!

No doubt, to date Mantha has done nothing to accomplish getting 8 million. 48 pts is his career high and you don't get paid because you pace as a 30-40 goal guy at times. Wings fans are still waiting for the year he doesn't get hurt and maintains the good paces he has had! May never happen, but we hope it will!

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
No doubt, to date Mantha has done nothing to accomplish getting 8 million. 48 pts is his career high and you don't get paid because you pace as a 30-40 goal guy at times. Wings fans are still waiting for the year he doesn't get hurt and maintains the good paces he has had! May never happen, but we hope it will!

This ^Certainly a risk for sub 50 pt (i get that hes paced for more) player to this point. Talent and goal scoring prowess could make it a value contract but some of the promise needs to be realized

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
This ^Certainly a risk for sub 50 pt (i get that hes paced for more) player to this point. Talent and goal scoring prowess could make it a value contract but some of the promise needs to be realized
Mantha isn’t just his stats he makes every single player he plays with better. It’s a rare winger that can drive a line like Mantha can.

Reactions: gbdet

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You really want to contest it over one being one year away and the other being two?

... 4 years compared to 7 is a far better argument, but OK.

It change everything. if Habs didn't give Anderson 7 years he was signing 1 year and he would test the FA market next year and we would lose him for nothing

If Mantha signed a 1 year contract Detroit would still have the control on him. Look in 4 years when Mantha will be FA his contract will be way higher.

It well know that a player that enter the FA market will signed a bigger contract than a RFA.

That being said I was here first to congrats the Wings for that really nice contract

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It change everything. if Habs didn't give Anderson 7 years he was signing 1 year and he would test the FA market next year and we would lose him for nothing

If Mantha signed a 1 year contract Detroit would still have the control on him. Look in 4 years when Mantha will be FA his contract will be way higher.

It well know that a player that enter the FA market will signed a bigger contract than a RFA.

That being said I was here first to congrats the Wings for that really nice contract

It really doesn't though...

Detroit would've been stupid to sign Mantha to a one year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This deal makes sense for both the player and the team. Arguing otherwise is just stupidity.

1. Attendance at LCA was really, really low due to a historically bad team. The Wings didn't make much, if any money this year. Then covid hits. With the way the deal is structured he's paid less up front than on the back end of the contract when we're expecting to be better and put more butts in seats in the arena again.

2. It's only 4 years. This puts him out to 30 and still in his prime. If he wants to walk from the Wings at 30 to a true contender he'll have that option and it's no hard feelings and thanks for putting up with us while we were bad. If the Wings are still truly awful in 3 years time his contract allows for him to be easily traded for valuable assets.

3. If he plays to his expected level of 30 goals, 70ish points or overperforms in the last year or two of his contract then Mantha lines himself up for an even bigger 4-5 year deal at 30 as a UFA when the cap will go up in the 90+ million dollar range. If he underperforms and is either injured a lot or only gets 50-55ish points a season then he'll only get a similar UFA deal.

4. A 4 year deal is not an anchor around a team's neck. We are suffering from the Abdelkader deal and were forced to buy that scrub out. We're still suffering from the Nielsen deal. A 4 year contract that expires when we will have several prospects either taking a bridge deal or their next big contract also works well for the team. Zadina, Veleno, and Seider are all going to be full timers by 21-22, and Raymond probably makes his debut in either 21-22 or 22-23.
Raymond, Zadina, Veleno and Seider are all likely going to be demanding 4+ million per year when their ELCs expire if everything goes well with their development.

Anyone who doesn't see how this is a really great deal for both the player and team is completely lacking in any business knowledge.

Reactions: decaguard

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This deal makes sense for both the player and the team. Arguing otherwise is just stupidity.

1. Attendance at LCA was really, really low due to a historically bad team. The Wings didn't make much, if any money this year. Then covid hits. With the way the deal is structured he's paid less up front than on the back end of the contract when we're expecting to be better and put more butts in seats in the arena again.
Meh the team is worth like 600 million dollars more now than it was 10 years ago, I'm sure they're doing quite fine. If you look around the league, almost every deal signed longer than 2 years was back loaded.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Which probably/may very well happen. I just would have thought with the Wings having the flexibility to do so, they could/should have paid more to lock up extra years like on a 6 or 7 year deal so he can continue to be a guaranteed part of the core

Saving capspace is always a good thing, but its not like a need for the team in the immediate future

I wish they would have

Seems like some don’t see him as part of our future after so many years

Reactions: Menzinger

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

2. It's only 4 years. This puts him out to 30 and still in his prime. If he wants to walk from the Wings at 30 to a true contender he'll have that option and it's no hard feelings and thanks for putting up with us while we were bad. If the Wings are still truly awful in 3 years time his contract allows for him to be easily traded for valuable assets.

3. If he plays to his expected level of 30 goals, 70ish points or overperforms in the last year or two of his contract then Mantha lines himself up for an even bigger 4-5 year deal at 30 as a UFA when the cap will go up in the 90+ million dollar range. If he underperforms and is either injured a lot or only gets 50-55ish points a season then he'll only get a similar UFA deal.

4. A 4 year deal is not an anchor around a team's neck. We are suffering from the Abdelkader deal and were forced to buy that scrub out. We're still suffering from the Nielsen deal. A 4 year contract that expires when we will have several prospects either taking a bridge deal or their next big contract also works well for the team. Zadina, Veleno, and Seider are all going to be full timers by 21-22, and Raymond probably makes his debut in either 21-22 or 22-23.
Raymond, Zadina, Veleno and Seider are all likely going to be demanding 4+ million per year when their ELCs expire if everything goes well with their development.

Anyone who doesn't see how this is a really great deal for both the player and team is completely lacking in any business knowledge.
The back end money probably has more to do with the hopes of escrow being less in a couple of years.

Reactions: BStinson

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
If I was the Wings, I'd tank a few more seasons. Picking up Johnson and Killorn hurts you chances at more top 3 picks.
See, that's where this would make a ton of sense. Take on Killorn and Johnson, they score more points than they have in their careers because they'll get a lot more minutes and both have modified no trade clauses after June 15th 2021. After they have career years, increasing their value and trade them for picks after the season.

EDIT: Yes, I know I'm reaching.. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad