Dermott Vs Carlo

• Dermott

• Carlo

Results are only viewable after voting.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Thats fair. He is stocky. But when its all said and done, Carlo will probably be heavier, he is still lanky, but he won't when he is a 28 year old man.

I think people misinterpreted me when I said he is smaller. Overall he is not small, just smaller than Carlo. Probably should have worded that differently.
Nice backpedaling.. You also called him an offensive d man? ... but I’m sure that was just misinterpreted, too.

:laugh:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
how is this even a poll, Carlo no question.

now Dermott does have higher upside mainly due to his superior offensive skill, but as of right now you could probably get 2 or 3 dermotts for the price of carlo.
eh no you couldn't
the only thing that isn't close is their offense

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
how is this even a poll, Carlo no question.

now Dermott does have higher upside mainly due to his superior offensive skill, but as of right now you could probably get 2 or 3 dermotts for the price of carlo.

usually the "how is this even a poll" comments are reserved for landslide wins, not when your guy is losing.

I wouldnt trade 1 dermott for carlo by the way, and it looks like 57% of people wouldnt either.
to say carlo is 2-3x what dermott is is beyond silly.

Dermott>Carlo. no doubt

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Nice backpedaling.. You also called him an offensive d man? ... but I’m sure that was just misinterpreted, too.

It wasn't back peddling. It was admitting a mistake/and pointing out a mistake in my wording. Chill out.

And what do you think he is? Shutdown defense. Not from what I've seen

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Carlo got overrated from last season. He's a decent young D who I think will round out as a decent 3/4, but I don't see anything beyond that. Dermott has more upside and I see him as a good #2, or even a 1B in certain situations. Dermott is also a possession driver while Carlo is not.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

shhh. he has a whopping 0g/5a this year. thats offensive enough. has never had more than 27pt in a season including juniors lol. Nice to see all the folks blasting the leafs for not taking Carlo with that dermott pick quiet as a mouse!

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
yup comparing a top 4 d on the top defensive team in the league (Boston/Carlo) to a 7th D (on an average defensive Team TOR/Dermott)

# LeafLogic

Carlo look pretty great shutting down Gaudreau last night

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
There's this misconception that Carlo is automatically a bad skater because he's 6"5 when in fact it's the opposite.

Carlo's skating IS one of his best assets. (extremely rare for a player over 6"3)

but there are some who confuse agility(ex: Krug) with speed (ex: Carlo, McAvoy)

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Will require an extra year to make a proper comparison.

Carlo was more impressive last year, playing 20+ min a game and being great defensively for his age. But seems to be having a stereotypical sophomore year.

While Dermott is averaging 16:30 min a game and has only played 18 games so far. So who knows, he might cool down/struggle with more responsibility or excel. Too early to tell. At this point however I'm gonna give Carlo the benefit of the doubt and go with him untill Dermott proves otherwise.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I can't really comment on Dermott since he's barely played in the NHL... not good
He was easily one of their 6 best this year but waivers, age, and the LH/RH thing had him in the AHL to start.

.... so he went down and was the best d man in the league, forcing a call up.

The Leafs are quite content to over ripen their prospects now that they’ve stocked the pipeline.

You should do some research on the all star and even Norris calibre d men who began their pro career in the minors. You must be new to the game, but it’s far from uncommon.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
He was easily one of their 6 best this year but waivers, age, and the LH/RH thing had him in the AHL to start.

.... so he went down and was the best d man in the league, forcing a call up.

The Leafs are quite content to over ripen their prospects now that they’ve stocked the pipeline.

You should do some research on the all star and even Norris calibre d men who began their pro career in the minors. You must be new to the game, but it’s far from uncommon.

my comment was more geared towards the Leaf poster who said the exact same thing about Carlo(i forgot to quote him).

FYI i have been watching the NHL casually since the mid 90's and religiously since 2000-2001 season... i know how it works.

What Carlo has been able to do as an 18yrs old (1st pairing minutes, 1st pk unit, shut down role in his 1st season) is phenomenal and extremely rare.

Carlo is already a solidified top 4 D while Dermott "may" only end up being a 3rd pairing D (he has proven nothing yet 18 games is not enough).

the Bruins are also extremely deep in D prospects.

but the Leaf posters claiming "easily" Dermott is ridiculous

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
yup comparing a top 4 d on the top defensive team in the league (Boston/Carlo) to a 7th D (on an average defensive Team TOR/Dermott)

# LeafLogic

Carlo look pretty great shutting down Gaudreau last night
Dermott is #5 right now. If he shot right he'd be on the 2nd pairing and possibly the 1st.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
my comment was more geared towards the Leaf poster who said the exact same thing about Carlo(i forgot to quote him).

FYI i have been watching the NHL casually since the mid 90's and religiously since 2000-2001 season... i know how it works.

What Carlo has been able to do as an 18yrs old (1st pairing minutes, 1st pk unit, shut down role in his 1st season) is phenomenal and extremely rare.

Carlo is already a solidified top 4 D while Dermott "may" only end up being a 3rd pairing D (he has proven nothing yet 18 games is not enough).

the Bruins are also extremely deep in D prospects.
Someone said they can’t comment on Carlo because he’s barely played in the NHL?

The sample size is always a funny argument, especially when you read some of what was written about Charlie McAvoy after 1 playoff series.

Sometimes, you just know.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Carlo and it's not even close. Dermott has a long road ahead before he even enters the same realm as Carlo.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Someone said they can’t comment on Carlo because he’s barely played in the NHL?

The sample size is always a funny argument, especially when you read some of what was written about Charlie McAvoy after 1 playoff series.

Sometimes, you just know.

yes i agree sometimes "you just know"

Carlo is an extremely rare type of D, a Defense first 6"5 player who skates extremely well that can handle 1st pairing minutes as a rookie.

I "ignored" the poster who said something about Carlo but my reply was aimed towards his stupid comment(forgot to quote, but it's on the first page if you want to bother looking)

Dermott is somewhat more comparable to Matt Grzelcyk(Bruins #5). although Grzelcyk is smaller and a 3 years older they have had "similar" path's this season.

most if not all HF'er have probably not heard of Grzelcyk because he's a Bruin player.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Both righties on one pair?

good point it will most likely be URHO VAAKANAINEN(sorry for caps i copy/pasted), Jakub Zboril, Linus Arnesson, Ryan Lindgren or "maybe" Rob O'Gara as potential partners for McAvoy

edit: the last 2-3 years the Bruins have concentrated their drafting towards D (somewhat over drafted imo), but it was their weakest prospect pool at the time. They also got lucky with Carlo and Grzelcyk as no one expected them to become good full time NHL players last/this year.

Honestly they're more likely to trade one or two D prospects away. Hopefully they won't trade a future star (fingers crossed)

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
yes i agree sometimes "you just know"

Carlo is an extremely rare type of D, a Defense first 6"5 player who skates extremely well that can handle 1st pairing minutes as a rookie.

I "ignored" the poster who said something about Carlo but my reply was aimed towards his stupid comment(forgot to quote, but it's on the first page if you want to bother looking)

Dermott is somewhat more comparable to Matt Grzelcyk(Bruins #5). although Grzelcyk is smaller and a 3 years older they have had "similar" path's this season.

most if not all HF'er have probably not heard of Grzelcyk because he's a Bruin player
Please elaborate.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
good point it will most likely be URHO VAAKANAINEN(sorry for caps i copy/pasted), Jakub Zboril, Linus Arnesson, Ryan Lindgren or "maybe" Rob O'Gara as potential partners for McAvoy
Wow, the Bruins are lucky to have so many future top pair d to choose from.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Dermott is 6th on the Leafs in ice time for D. One is being sheltered and one is succeeding as an important piece for 2 years now.

Seems like an easy choice at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad