Player Discussion Derick Brassard

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
Derick Brassard is a #1 center in the NHL. Just a real good hockey player and clutch

Great trade by Slats!

Stepan is the Number #2

Very good #1 and #2 center depth

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Who would have thought out of all the players we got from Columbus he would be the best one!!! Definitely one of my favorite Rangers. Tough and clutch

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who would have thought out of all the players we got from Columbus he would be the best one!!! Definitely one of my favorite Rangers. Tough and clutch

I am probably one of the biggest Brassard fans in the world, but Nash is better

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Since the start of last season.

Player A: 153 GP, 46 Goals, 117 Points
Player B: 154 GP, 53 Goals, 116 Points
Player C: 155 GP, 52 Goals, 118 Points

Player A is our own Derick Brassard. Player B is Jonathan Toews. Player C is Patrice Bergeron. I don't think it's very often that a player plays BETTER after signing his largest contract. Brassard is a legitimate #1 Center, as there are only around 10 names that are clearly better. Can't overstate how important this guy is for our team.

EDIT: And just to bring playoff numbers into the mix, Brassard has .74 PPG there to Toews' .80 PPG, over the last 3 postseasons. You can make a legitimate claim that Brassard is as good as Toews. Good grief.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Since the start of last season.

Player A: 153 GP, 46 Goals, 117 Points
Player B: 154 GP, 53 Goals, 116 Points
Player C: 155 GP, 52 Goals, 118 Points

Player A is our own Derick Brassard. Player B is Jonathan Toews. Player C is Patrice Bergeron. I don't think it's very often that a player plays BETTER after signing his largest contract. Brassard is a legitimate #1 Center, as there are only around 10 names that are clearly better. Can't overstate how important this guy is for our team.

EDIT: And just to bring playoff numbers into the mix, Brassard has .74 PPG there to Toews' .80 PPG, over the last 3 postseasons. You can make a legitimate claim that Brassard is as good as Toews. Good grief.

Offensively yes but Toews is a beast defensively.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Offensively yes but Toews is a beast defensively.

That's definitely true, but he also has way more firepower around him on both sides of the puck (with our team having the advantage in net). The only way to really tell who's truly better is if we made a one-for-one trade and saw what each guy looked like on the other team. I think Toews is decidedly better, I was just making the point that it's probably way closer than most people realize. I was stunned by the names around Brassard when I went to look up where he was among centers the last two years.

Brass is miles ahead of Toews as an investment when you compare their contracts, though, and that's what is most important for our team heading forward.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Brassard's emerged as a legit number one center.

Maybe not the franchise's star player, but a legit number one center in the NHL.

At this point I'd dare say he's seriously underrated.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In fairness, this was the season was the season where I used a pen to write first line center rather than a pencil.

He played liked a first line center in 2014-15 and I wanted to see him do it again, which he clearly has this season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If Brassard was better defensively, he wouldn't be underrated. Right now, he's just pretty great, but a lot of people don't consider him a 1C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad