Player Discussion Derick Brassard

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Dat clapper, ****ing elite shot. The first one versus Detroit is ****ing nasty.

Not sure why he isn't at the top of the circle on the PP. wish he was RH like our other "#1C" who is useless on the PP.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, I agree, Brassard should finish on our PP, but is he consitence enough - that`s my question about D. Brassard?
You can`t really compare him with MSL in the old days, or Alex Ovechkin with 29 goals this season - if u think he has an elite shot - why does he pass that often instead of finishing plays?

And the Rangers suffer on PP due management issues in my opinion - some guys on TV thinks Zuci has a great shot on PP like Sam - while others believe in Stepan for instance.
So at the moment we`ve no clear roles on our PP which confuse many of the players and we suffer for it without any doubts. Because we don`t have an Alex Ovechkin to finish our plays, but perhaps Brassard should finish more often on our PP.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
No one but the caps have an alex ovechkin on their PP but with Brassard it wouldn't just be beating goalies clean every time. With the velocity of his shot he could create secondary rebound chances. Or if people start respecting the shot too much, he can make a slap pass.

Him being designated a shooter on the PP would give it a new look and maybe, you know, suck less. He obviously won't be the LH version of Stankos or OV on the PP...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Brassard uses his slap shot like once a month and always scores on it.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, Miller have 19.30% shooting percentage now and have highest of all Rangers - he is on the second PP unit though - maybe change him with Stepan.
Then you have two assist guys like Zuci & stepan on both PP units - since AV use two PP lines usually and change every 1 min.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Stepan should be off the PP all together.

Brassard not shooting enough is something thats 'plagued' him his entire career.

Hard to complain seeing as how he may break 30 goals this year, but you'd still like to see him utilize that clapper more.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
The issue is it takes really long to get it off. Mostly, there's just not enough time and space for a slap shot if you're a forward. It also gives defenders much more time to get in the way than just firing a wrister.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That goal he scored last night was ****ing awesome! Skating, accelerating while turning and then the "Frolov-like" wraparound (But Brassard actually scored).

Brassard now has 19 goals and 23 assists for 42 points with 26 games to go.

His career highs are 19 goals and 41 assists for 60 points (last season)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I seriously thought for a second Zucc and Brass would pass the puck back to each other with the open net, wanting to give the other guy the goal

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I seriously thought for a second Zucc and Brass would pass the puck back to each other with the open net, wanting to give the other guy the goal

It's funny because Raspewtin just asked me like two days ago "if Zuccarello and Brassard come down 2-0 on an empty net who scores?"

My response: "Jesper Fast"

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's funny because Raspewtin just asked me like two days ago "if Zuccarello and Brassard come down 2-0 on an empty net who scores?"

My response: "Jesper Fast"

:laugh: :handclap:

Brassard now has 7 goals and 7 assists in the last 10 games.

money-stacks.jpg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What you've really seen from Brassard since to the Rangers, especially the last two seasons, are the skills that made him a high draft pick in 2006. The difference the past two seasons is the higher level of consistency he's been able to work into his game. That was usually the knock on Brassard, even going back to his junior days - the skills were never in question.

The Rangers have quite a bit of talent on their roster - they just haven't been able to get it all firing at the same time.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What you've really seen from Brassard since to the Rangers, especially the last two seasons, are the skills that made him a high draft pick in 2006. The difference the past two seasons is the higher level of consistency he's been able to work into his game. That was usually the knock on Brassard, even going back to his junior days - the skills were never in question.

The Rangers have quite a bit of talent on their roster - they just haven't been able to get it all firing at the same time.

Yup consistency. When he came over to us his biggest knock was consistency but he's been awfully consistent with us.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Dat clapper, ****ing elite shot. The first one versus Detroit is ****ing nasty.

Not sure why he isn't at the top of the circle on the PP. wish he was RH like our other "#1C" who is useless on the PP.

I've been saying he should be the shooting option on the power play for several years. The downside is that he is much much more effective from the circles than he is from up by the blueline, so he's not quite a blueline bomber replacement. But he is the only one on the team with a slapshot that can be used to consistently score goals.

The other issue is that he's a lefty and teams seem like they want to set up righty's for one timers from the circle more than lefty's.

Yeah, I agree, Brassard should finish on our PP, but is he consitence enough - that`s my question about D. Brassard?
You can`t really compare him with MSL in the old days, or Alex Ovechkin with 29 goals this season - if u think he has an elite shot - why does he pass that often instead of finishing plays?

And the Rangers suffer on PP due management issues in my opinion - some guys on TV thinks Zuci has a great shot on PP like Sam - while others believe in Stepan for instance.
So at the moment we`ve no clear roles on our PP which confuse many of the players and we suffer for it without any doubts. Because we don`t have an Alex Ovechkin to finish our plays, but perhaps Brassard should finish more often on our PP.

I don't think his shot is elite but it is a very good and dangerous slapshot from that position. Any time you can consistently blow it past goaltenders unscreened from the circles then you know it's a very good shot (and by consistently I mean we've seen him do it fairly often, not like every time he takes one it's a goal). But as you say, he has been wired to be more of a passer and that's a big reason why he hasn't been used as a trigger man before...you want his play making abilities and he has been more likely to pass, it's really only in the past few years it feels like he's trying to shoot more.

Stepan is used because he's like the only right handed shot on the team that's a forward who has some offensive skill.

The issue is it takes really long to get it off. Mostly, there's just not enough time and space for a slap shot if you're a forward. It also gives defenders much more time to get in the way than just firing a wrister.

Brassard often seems to wind up for it and wait an extra second to throw off goalies or get defensemen to commit to a shot blocking position, but that makes it generally more useful on the power play and not as much 5 on 5

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brass is a #1C, despite what the critics might say.

He is 14th in points this season of centers, he was 24th in points last season of centers, and he was 6th in PPG of centers in the playoffs last playoffs. I don't know what more he has to do to be a 1C.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

They were last year. I did an analysis at the end of the year. Only Brassard and Kreider shot below their career average ES sh%.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
He's got one hell of a shot. I love having him on this team. Great trade. One of the best in Ranger history IMHO.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

Very well said. You are correct. :handclap:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm so proud of the guy for hitting 20 goals. He came into the league with all the expectations in the world and it was a long road but he's finally a star player.

He seems to love this team and I like to think that helped turn him around. Just a perfect match for team and player and it gives me the feels.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I'm so proud of the guy for hitting 20 goals. He came into the league with all the expectations in the world and it was a long road but he's finally a star player.

He seems to love this team and I like to think that helped turn him around. Just a perfect match for team and player and it gives me the feels.

Yeah, he and Zuccarello are such an under-appreciated combo (around the league) both in skill level, but also for how far they've come and the way they've both contributed so much to one another's progress. I'm almost ashamed to admit I was worried about giving Brassard that 5 year 5 million contract. He's earned it all already and really blossomed into the #1 playmaking center Columbus wanted and we've been clamoring over for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad