Derick Brassard

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...s-devils-out-to-prove-last-year-no-fluke.html

I'm not going to pretend I understand most of what Friedeman is saying here, but he does say Brassard's name is coming up.

I took it to mean 4 things.
-Team would like Ryan O'Reilly but he's unsure if Colorado will deal him or sign him.
-Brassard is available.
-It'd take a hell of a player for the Jackets to move their own picks
-The other 2 first round picks have a lot of value because of this draft.

But I agree, very awkwardly written.

Now a package centered around Brassard for O'Reilly (which it can be argued he suggests)? That's intriguing. But I don't want to (nor do I think the team wants to) move one of those 1st round picks in a trade for O'Reilly. That's probably an immediate deal killer.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Now a package centered around Brassard for O'Reilly (which it can be argued he suggests)? That's intriguing. But I don't want to (nor do I think the team wants to) move one of those 1st round picks in a trade for O'Reilly. That's probably an immediate deal killer.
Concur. Trading a 1st along with Brass would be a significant mistake IMO.

Right now T&R discussions have been pretty much exclusively around big scoring right wingers and picks. (A MTL fan and I seem to have agreed on Brass for Erik Cole with $1m salary retained and a mid-round 2nd (they've got three), for example. There was also a straight-up suggestion for Drew Stafford.)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I am pretty sure he was just mentioning who/what might be available. I don't think any of them have anything to do with each other. For example, I don't think he was saying that Columbus was looking to trade for Ryan O'Reilly.

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007
Trade... until he has a good value. We have Johansen and Letestu is more ideal the third line center.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trade... until he has a good value. We have Johansen and Letestu is more ideal the third line center.

Are you serious? Brassard is the only forward on the team who sniffs offensive instincts minus Atkinson. You really think Johansen is better than Brassard right now? And you're kidding me if you think Letestu is better, sure he's had a great start and he's a good player to have, but Brassard is so much better offensively than Test Tube. I know you're going to pull out the stats this year, but it's the truth.

Why is Brassard always the first person we try to trade? He's like, one of 3 forwards who have any value. Why don't we, you know, keep him unless we have an abundance of top 6 centers and need to fill a hole elsewhere? (See Marc Methot for Nick Foligno)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Are you serious? Brassard is the only forward on the team who sniffs offensive instincts minus Atkinson. You really think Johansen is better than Brassard right now? And you're kidding me if you think Letestu is better, sure he's had a great start and he's a good player to have, but Brassard is so much better offensively than Test Tube. I know you're going to pull out the stats this year, but it's the truth.

Why is Brassard always the first person we try to trade? He's like, one of 3 forwards who have any value. Why don't we, you know, keep him unless we have an abundance of top 6 centers and need to fill a hole elsewhere? (See Marc Methot for Nick Foligno)
In theory, because we might be able to get somebody who's an upgrade on offense if not necessarily so in contract or age.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In theory, because we might be able to get somebody who's an upgrade on offense if not necessarily so in contract or age.

Im all for improving the team. I dont feel like anyone should be untouchable on our team. But if we're just trading Brassard so we can free up a spot for someone, instead of that person earning it, that doesn't sit right with me. He hasn't done anything wrong.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Unless its a situation of changing places make both players better I don't see us getting a lot for Brass or any of our guys. At best we trade even. When I look at these proposed deals I always think of if Brass (or whomever) was playing for another team what would I give to have him on the Jackets. The answer usually is not much. And if it is a lot usually the other team isn't going to want to trade their guy.

Maybe a situation arises where say Edmonton needs one more D to round out their team and they are willing to give up one of their young forwards to get a pretty good one. A trade like that could work our for both sides but it would have to be quality for quality.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I'm guessing it is because his consistency is about nil. I'm also guess that despite that awesome offensive skill, it rarely lasts for more then a period at a time. Oh wait... consistency. How about his 5 on 5 play isn't all that great? He is certainly an asset, for the last few games on the PP, but that really doesn't make make for his less than stellar 5 on 5 play. There is a reason that 5 of his 7 points are on the PP and he is a -6 and -46 for his career. He best +/- number was play with Jake in a limited role when they were both on fire. When Brassard is faced with an important role, 5 on 5, he doesn't rise to the occasion for any length of time.

Brassard is a tempting target because he is an asset that can be moved and those making the suggestion have no faith than he can put it all together when the games mean something and for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Can he put it all together? Who knows. But I don't want to sign him to an extension at this moment in time and I'm not even sure I want to spend another season finding out.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Why is Brassard always the first person we try to trade? He's like, one of 3 forwards who have any value.

I think you may just have answered your own question.

I'm guessing it is because his consistency is about nil. I'm also guess that despite that awesome offensive skill, it rarely lasts for more then a period at a time. Oh wait... consistency. How about his 5 on 5 play isn't all that great? He is certainly an asset, for the last few games on the PP, but that really doesn't make make for his less than stellar 5 on 5 play. There is a reason that 5 of his 7 points are on the PP and he is a -6 and -46 for his career. He best +/- number was play with Jake in a limited role when they were both on fire. When Brassard is faced with an important role, 5 on 5, he doesn't rise to the occasion for any length of time.

Brassard is a tempting target because he is an asset that can be moved and those making the suggestion have no faith than he can put it all together when the games mean something and for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Can he put it all together? Who knows. But I don't want to sign him to an extension at this moment in time and I'm not even sure I want to spend another season finding out.

All of this. Plus, I think Brassard is one of the weakest players in the NHL, he is physically dominated, every game. He's capable of making a nice pass when in the open, but he loses any contested battles and is knocked off the puck much too easily.

Nice kid, I'm sure, but I just don't like his game. That's certainly not an informed, mature, fact-based position to hold; but, since I'm only a fan, I feel quite comfortable admitting it.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I think you may just have answered your own question.

All of this. Plus, I think Brassard is one of the weakest players in the NHL, he is physically dominated, every game. He's capable of making a nice pass when in the open, but he loses any contested battles and is knocked off the puck much too easily.

Nice kid, I'm sure, but I just don't like his game. That's certainly not an informed, mature, fact-based position to hold; but, since I'm only a fan, I feel quite comfortable admitting it.

You're certainly not the only one. Derick Brassard exists in two forms: BJN and AJN. That's for Before James Neal and After James Neal.

It would have taken a lot for me to be convinced to trade Brassard BJN. Right now, I think Brassard AJN getting traded is inevitable. A team with talent making a run could use a nice complementary piece like Brassard to shore up their 2nd or 3rd line with some playmaking acumen.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
He hasn't done anything wrong.

I hate to pick one thing about your comment, but you say he hasn't done anything wrong, but he really hasn't done anything right. We're talking about a guy who was drafted in the top ten of the first round of his draft class. Granted that does not necessarily equate to an elite talent, but Brassard is what he is.

He's not going to magically become an elite top line centerman....ever. He a 2/3 line centerman with better than average skill that will likely put up around 40-45 points (except one year with 47). He hasn't proven otherwise. The organization has been holding out hope that he will progress, but he hasn't and I think Jackets management would be silly not to look into moving a piece that is not going to be a significant part of the future.

Teams will want Brassard. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good. He is a good guy, a good teammate, but things have not clicked for him ever since he got hurt. If this team is in rebuild mode, he has to be considered as potential trade bait. Like many have said, if he returns a young player and a pick, it has to be considered.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe a situation arises where say Edmonton needs one more D to round out their team and they are willing to give up one of their young forwards to get a pretty good one. A trade like that could work our for both sides but it would have to be quality for quality.

Judging from my experiences with the Oil fans who hang out on T&R, the "young forward" in question had better be MPS or Sam Gagner. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad