Derick Brassard

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Brassard has not looked good so far this season but there are several others that the same could be said....

The team including the bench bosses has not looked good in the last two games; Brass is only a part of the problem... JD may have the hardest job in the NHL starring him in the face... I doubt he will tolerate being outscored 9-1 in two losing games much longer..

Paisano*

Brassard has not looked good so far this season but there are several others that the same could be said....

The team including the bench bosses has not looked good in the last two games; Brass is only a part of the problem... JD may have the hardest job in the NHL starring him in the face... I doubt he will tolerate being outscored 9-1 in two losing games much longer..
Not a whole lot he can do at this point, other than start a shuttle back and forth to Springfield.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
ashleymbhs6.edublogs.org,%20Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

*Sees panic tread*

Nothing to see here...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Wow man you really are all on my nutsack, like constantly. Not sure your obsession with me but oh well. Btw, Irdgaf if you think my posting style is annoying, I'm not going to change it bc you disapprove. Theres an ignore list. .

Oh it's not you. I've done it to others that take what is being said and twist it to their own ends with either an intentional or unintentional misrepresentation of what is being said. Remember in the other thread, it was actually you that started it jumping on my ass for a "lipstick on a pig" comment. If you look back over that and give it a rational analysis, you would realize that you were beating me up over nothing. You mostly agreed with me. Don't pretend you are being impartial and fair with me and you are up on some higher moral ground. I know you don't care if I don't like your posting style. We've pretty much established we don't think much of either others posting styles nor do we care if the other cares.

The "ignore button" comment is weak. Playing the "Blahblah is a big meany" card? You know you'll get some sympathy for it.

Oh and for the record, if you actually read the thread you would realize I am one of those that was supporting (most of) your views. I think the OP is the only person on here calling him a bust. I already conceded the threads origination was because of the two game losing streak. Oh check that out, I'm not trying to change your opinion and I don't even disagree with you on the points of your post(s) but one.

The issue I had, and of course you never actually addressed it, was that NO ONE WAS BLAMING BRASSARD FOR THE TWO GAME LOSING STREAK. Quit trying to play the martyr for something that only exists in your mind. If you had just said, "He's not a bust, this thread is crap.", you wouldn't have heard jack from me.

I will continue to call you out when you invent stuff. Don't invent stuff and, for the most part, we'll be fine. Oh sure, I'll continue to call Brassard out if he doesn't get his act together. I don't care if you disagree and I don't care if you disagree with me. However, I will call you out if you try and diminish his recent stupidity on the ice. I don't expect it to change your mind, actually in this case there is no reason to. All you doing is minimizing his brain cramps. You aren't actually disagreeing, you are just saying "others are a bigger problem". I don't necessarily disagree with that, however that doesn't mean we should put our heads in the ground and pretend this isn't an issue.

So in conclusion, remember dude I was either the fist or second person THAT CALLED OUT THE OP. Unlike some around here, I can see both sides and try to be fair in my analysis.

Last edited:

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Some of you think this is a panic thread.

Some of us, however, have been consistent in our dislike of certain players and decisions which the start of another season has once again reinforced.

FTR: For me this includes...
1. Failure to procure a dependable goalie in 09.
2. Failure to procure a dependable goalie 10.
3. Failure to procure a dependable goalie 11.
4. Failure to procure a dependable goalie 12.
5. Failure to procure and Keep dependable goal scorers.
6. Failure to procure both a GM and coach with good NHL experience (post Hitch)

I have never liked Brass' game. He lacks physicality and disappears.
And didn't like him as a draft pick for the same reason.
This season and past seasons have proven me right.
When Nash disappeared you could count on him to reappear, bang some bodies, get double teamed, and get 30 goals. This is what I expect from my top draft picks. Brass plays like a third liner but cost us a #1 pick and too much money. More importantly, we've waited for him to become what we really needed two years ago, and he hasn't become it. Mgmt should have seen it coming like some of US did.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

And this is exactly what we are looking for from him. This shortened season will tell him a lot about the current group of players that we have.

As I mentioned in another thread, we looked good the first two games when every other team was rusty. We would see how we looked when they all got their legs back under them. Well teams are getting back up to speed, and quite frankly, are making us look bad. The Avs and Yotes are not western conference power houses. As a matter of fact many have the Avs finishing just ahead of us in 14th place. Both those teams made us look pathetic.

We were not supposed to be out-worked in any game, yet what excuse are we already hearing? "We didn't play 60 minutes of hockey". samo, samo!

As for Brass, he always seems to play well when there is no pressure. Once we are eliminated from play-off contention, he somehow plays better. You have to be able to thrive in this league under pressure. Brass doesn't imho.

Wouldn't bother me in the least to see him packaged up in a trade.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
ashleymbhs6.edublogs.org,%20Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

*Sees panic tread*

Nothing to see here...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

on Topic:
I've never liked Brass' game (to weak on the Puck and irresponsible passing, bad in the faceoff circle), but the biggest problem is that with Johansen and Anisimov on the team he is the third best center, and he doesn't fit a third line center role. Personally, I'd trade him for wing scoring (easier said I know) and Go Anisimov, Johansen, Dubinsky down the middle.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Wow man you really are all on my nutsack, like constantly. Not sure your obsession with me but oh well. Btw, Irdgaf if you think my posting style is annoying, I'm not going to change it bc you disapprove. Theres an ignore list.

As for this thread, I'm making a pretty safe assumption its because we lost 2 straight games. Theres two pages of people supporting my opinion, I really didnt think I needed to add to it. Quite frankly its not worth my time and neither are you.

First of all, you know what happens when you assume. Secondly, does it matter why the thread started? It's a legitimate talking point. Is Brass a bust because when given top line minutes he has yet to crack 50 points during a full season? Or is he not a bust because he is still a somewhat serviceable top 6 player on a talentless team? Add that to his wholly unremarkable play this year and you have a perfectly reasonable discussion. Thirdly you've yet to tell us why you think Brass is or isnt a bust (you know, what this thread is actually about). Thirdly, if expressing/explaining your opinion is not worth your time, why have you posted multliple times in this thread....why do you post at all really?

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I've been disappointed in his play for a years now. Its well documented that Brass has always seemed to march to the beat of his own drum, while being skilled, he's never been able to or capable of playing within a successful pro system for a extended period of time. Hell, one could argue Brassard's lack of continued development was among the chief factors in Hitchcock's dismissal. With what he's capable of, by just buying into the team game, he could easily justify what he's being paid now, and I doubt 47 points would be his career high.

I don't care who drafted him or what that guy said about Brass. Every publication had him pegged as an offensive machine from the blue line in. You don't want to call him a bust? Fine to say we got what we drafted is severely overvaluing him.

No other player in this organization has had so many apologists justifying why we drafted a top line center for the next decade, seen him go to "#1 center for a decade" to "He has top line talent" to "He's a second line option in the middle" to "He's a servicable option on the second line." And maybe its just because, outside of Nash, he's been here the longest among first rounders, but anybody that was here when he was drafted till right this minute, I challege you to honestly say you're not disappointed in what Brassard has become.

Someone needs to wake him up and remind him he's not lacing them up everynight in the freewheeling Quebec League, its not 2007, its 2013 and you're now being counted on to step up professionally.

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
First of all, you know what happens when you assume. Secondly, does it matter why the thread started? It's a legitimate talking point. Is Brass a bust because when given top line minutes he has yet to crack 50 points during a full season? Or is he not a bust because he is still a somewhat serviceable top 6 player on a talentless team? Add that to his wholly unremarkable play this year and you have a perfectly reasonable discussion. Thirdly you've yet to tell us why you think Brass is or isnt a bust (you know, what this thread is actually about). Thirdly, if expressing/explaining your opinion is not worth your time, why have you posted multliple times in this thread....why do you post at all really?

Explaining to everyone why this thread is huge overreaction is a waste of time. I've defended Brass multiple times there's no point. It really isn't your place to try tell me why I should or shouldn't post. I said this thread is a waste of time not my opinion.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I was opposed to trading Brass last year. Never been a huge fan of his game but I thought he was one of the few offensively capable guys left on the roster. I thought that would be needed.

I know it's only 4 games, but I feel like I've seen this before. And I just don't care about his ability. I'm just not in the mood to put up with him anymore as a fan.

Get something useful for him and move on.

He isn't a bust. But I will shed no tears when he's no longer a Blue Jacket.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Zherdev, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Filatov, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Brule, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Picard, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Leclaire, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust due to injury circumstances.

Brassard is still playing in the best league in the world, and putting up numbers. He may be a disappointment compared to what you expected, but he is in no way a bust.

Zherdev could still play in the NHL if he really wanted to. See his last season for the Flyers.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Oh it's not you. I've done it to others that take what is being said and twist it to their own ends with either an intentional or unintentional misrepresentation of what is being said. Remember in the other thread, it was actually you that started it jumping on my ass for a "lipstick on a pig" comment. If you look back over that and give it a rational analysis, you would realize that you were beating me up over nothing. You mostly agreed with me. Don't pretend you are being impartial and fair with me and you are up on some higher moral ground. I know you don't care if I don't like your posting style. We've pretty much established we don't think much of either others posting styles nor do we care if the other cares.

The "ignore button" comment is weak. Playing the "Blahblah is a big meany" card? You know you'll get some sympathy for it.

Oh and for the record, if you actually read the thread you would realize I am one of those that was supporting (most of) your views. I think the OP is the only person on here calling him a bust. I already conceded the threads origination was because of the two game losing streak. Oh check that out, I'm not trying to change your opinion and I don't even disagree with you on the points of your post(s) but one.

The issue I had, and of course you never actually addressed it, was that NO ONE WAS BLAMING BRASSARD FOR THE TWO GAME LOSING STREAK. Quit trying to play the martyr for something that only exists in your mind. If you had just said, "He's not a bust, this thread is crap.", you wouldn't have heard jack from me.

I will continue to call you out when you invent stuff. Don't invent stuff and, for the most part, we'll be fine. Oh sure, I'll continue to call Brassard out if he doesn't get his act together. I don't care if you disagree and I don't care if you disagree with me. However, I will call you out if you try and diminish his recent stupidity on the ice. I don't expect it to change your mind, actually in this case there is no reason to. All you doing is minimizing his brain cramps. You aren't actually disagreeing, you are just saying "others are a bigger problem". I don't necessarily disagree with that, however that doesn't mean we should put our heads in the ground and pretend this isn't an issue.

So in conclusion, remember dude I was either the fist or second person THAT CALLED OUT THE OP. Unlike some around here, I can see both sides and try to be fair in my analysis.

I called this thread over reactionary from the start. I know this thread was about a two game losing streak therefore I chose not to give a real opinion. It didn't deserve one, plenty of people put an end to a very easy solvable argument. In attempt to not look like a homer, I didn't actually give an in depth response. Notice sore loser did the same thing with his chicken little picture. It's just a stupid thread it you didn't like that. You had to tell me how ridiculous I was for not giving OP an in depth analysis, when it didn't need one. And btw, the comment about it being all Brass' fault was pure sarcasm. Reread it.

IHeartZherdev*

I called this thread over reactionary from the start. I know this thread was about a two game losing streak therefore I chose not to give a real opinion.

It's not about a 2 game losing streak. After 2 straight disappointing seasons, with Johansen and Jenner both working hard and coming to claim center positions, you'd think Brass would shape up and come into this year with something to prove.

Instead it's same old Brass, the same invisible player who doesn't make a difference that we've seen for a couple years. I think he's a bust and think he is exactly the type of player this organization can't put up with anymore. Ship him to Montreal.

IHeartZherdev*

Looking at the effort guys like Calvert and Cam put in, away from the puck, makes me even more disgusted with Brass.

If JD is really serious about "not being outworked" than Brass is certainly going to be moved.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
It's not about a 2 game losing streak. After 2 straight disappointing seasons, with Johansen and Jenner both working hard and coming to claim center positions, you'd think Brass would shape up and come into this year with something to prove.

Instead it's same old Brass, the same invisible player who doesn't make a difference that we've seen for a couple years. I think he's a bust and think he is exactly the type of player this organization can't put up with anymore. Ship him to Montreal.

Cmon man he hasnt been invisible year after year. You are just generalizing now, never makes a difference? I hope he does something tonight.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Hardly an overreaction when the dude was drafted almost 7 years ago.
Six plus years is more than enough to determine if he is a bust. Not really sure how you can see it as 'panic'? Unless you're trying to hide the fact that Brass sucks

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Cmon man he hasnt been invisible year after year. You are just generalizing now, never makes a difference? I hope he does something tonight.

47 points in 74 games a few seasons ago certainly proves he hasn't been "invisible", so to speak, year after year, but at the same time, he routinely has disappeared for weeks and sometimes, a few months at a time during seasons and thats not counting the shoulder injury that took him out after 30 games when he fought James Neal several years ago.

I think Brassard's tenure makes it easier for some to "pile on", but anybody thats watched him throughout his time here has to be more than a little disappointed with the effort he gives on a whole, as he's been relatively healthy since that injury shortened season ( 79, 74 and 74 games played in successive seasons)

As far as your hope for tonight, according to the stats i'm seeing, Brass has 13 points in 21 games against Chicago, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get on the score sheet, but that really doesn't change what I look at when addressing not just from the standpoint of the last 4 games, but what I see as yet another swoon in a pretty unremarkable career thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad