Derick Brassard

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Hardly an overreaction when the dude was drafted almost 7 years ago.
Six plus years is more than enough to determine if he is a bust. Not really sure how you can see it as 'panic'? Unless you're trying to hide the fact that Brass sucks

Yea and its a pretty easy thing to determine that he ISNT a bust. If you cant see that well, idk what to tell you.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Yea and its a pretty easy thing to determine that he ISNT a bust. If you cant see that well, idk what to tell you.

Drafting in the top 10 should produce 1st line, All Star type players.
If I tell you ahead of time that a 6th overall pick will struggle for 7 years and not produce any offense, what would you tell me??
Same goes for RyJo, not producing offense yet.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
If I tell you ahead of time that a 6th overall pick will struggle for 7 years and not produce any offense, what would you tell me??
Same goes for RyJo, not producing offense yet.

Brass wasnt exactly developed well. Hes struggled with injuries and has been all over the lineup. He should be a lot better than he is but he isnt a bust. Way too early for Ryjo guy is finally using his body to create chances. They'll start going in.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Very nice. Now, are you willing to go through the last ten or fifteen years of the draft, pick out every single forward drafted in the top-10 by every NHL team, evaluate whether or not they are "1st line, All Star type players", and thereby double-check whether or not this assertion has any basis in reality whatsoever?

I mean, I've done that before, and I think this is the height of hyperbolic bat**** insanity, but nobody listens to me on such things because I'm the "blind optimist".

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Very nice. Now, are you willing to go through the last ten or fifteen years of the draft, pick out every single forward drafted in the top-10 by every NHL team, evaluate whether or not they are "1st line, All Star type players", and thereby double-check whether or not this assertion has any basis in reality whatsoever?

I mean, I've done that before, and I think this is the height of hyperbolic bat**** insanity, but nobody listens to me on such things because I'm the "blind optimist".

OK, I played. Went back and looked at forwards drafted in the top 10 2003-2008. Without doing a Mayoral analysis, I came up with 4 categories- The All-Star types, the gee I wish we had those guys who will probably be all stars soon, the at least I've heard of those guys and the who?(not the rock guys). I put Brass in category 3.

Cat 1 -12 guys
Car 2 - 7
Cat 3 -13
Cat 4- 6

Also interesting to note that most of the Cat 1 guys were drafted before we picked. On the other hand there were guys picked after us in many years who would have been 1's or 2's.

3 of the 6 guys in cat 4 are Jackets- Picard,Brule & Filatov and many would argue that Zherdev belongs there also but I put him in 3.

So I agree with Viqsi ( i think this is time 2 :laugh:)

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't understand why people even start threads like this. Perhaps just to be catty or annoying.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Also interesting to note that most of the Cat 1 guys were drafted before we picked. On the other hand there were guys picked after us in many years who would have been 1's or 2's.

Most of those guys were probably picked in the top 2 or 3. You'll get the occasional Skinner.

The original premise by TW is deeply flawed. All-Star players are rare enough, never mind adding 10 per season to the mix. If that was the case, most rosters would be full of 30 goal scoring all-stars.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Pissed at what? Honestly, there are times when these guys who are "pissed" should use their own toilet bowl rather than this board as the target for the release of their own urine.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Brass wasnt exactly developed well. Hes struggled with injuries and has been all over the lineup. He should be a lot better than he is but he isnt a bust. Way too early for Ryjo guy is finally using his body to create chances. They'll start going in.

Developed better than most, given an extra year in the Q (where I think he got hurt a few weeks in) and then given a full season in Syracuse in the AHL, If I remember right.

I look at it this way. Would Derick Brassard's resume be good enough to continue throwing him out there fairly consistently on the top two lines each night with any other team in the league for the last 4 years? I doubt it. Which is what makes developing Johansen, Audy-Marchessault, Jenner, and Chaput very critical.

And I don't want to hear about "mismangement" of Brass by playing him in the bottom six, as I mentioned earlier, Brass's skill set is set for a top six role, its a just a shame that he can't justify it with his play and effort consistently. This is a guy thats been given, essentially, every chance. Penciled in on the top line after playing all of 4 games in Germany (Or whereever he was playing) before going AWOL.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Developed better than most, given an extra year in the Q (where I think he got hurt a few weeks in) and then given a full season in Syracuse in the AHL, If I remember right.

I look at it this way. Would Derick Brassard's resume be good enough to continue throwing him out there fairly consistently on the top two lines each night with any other team in the league for the last 4 years? I doubt it. Which is what makes developing Johansen, Audy-Marchessault, Jenner, and Chaput very critical.

And I don't want to hear about "mismangement" of Brass by playing him in the bottom six, as I mentioned earlier, Brass's skill set is set for a top six role, its a just a shame that he can't justify it with his play and effort consistently. This is a guy thats been given, essentially, every chance. Penciled in on the top line after playing all of 4 games in Germany (Or whereever he was playing) before going AWOL.

Austria. (close, though)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Pissed at what? Honestly, there are times when these guys who are "pissed" should use their own toilet bowl rather than this board as the target for the release of their own urine.

At the last two road games. Should be pretty obvious. Not saying it's the right thing to do, just saying there is no mystery in it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Brassard has struggled with injuries? After his contract extension in 2009 he has missed 11 games due to hand injury.

I don't see injuries since 2009 being an issue for him.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

It's not the height of insanity, but know that my opinion on the matter is tempered because it's me making the statement.

The idea of simply making a sweeping judgment across the level of where a player is picked without any consideration for other factors, that is insane.

Just for the hell of it, 6th overall picks since 1995:
Steve Kelly, Boyd Devereaux, Dan Tkaczuk, Rico Fata, Brian Finley, Scott Hartnell, Mikko Koivu, Scottie Upshall, Milan Michalek, Al Montoya, Gilbert Brule, Sam Gagner, Nikita Filatov, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Brett Connolly, Mika Zibanejad, Hampus Lindholm.

That list is so bad that it takes all of 10 seconds to brand Ekman-Larsson, who's just now beginning his third season, as easily among the four best 6th overall picks in the last 18 drafts.

And Hartnell needed until his 8th season (and more ice time than ever) to hit 50 points at all.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...s-devils-out-to-prove-last-year-no-fluke.html

Who is available? Well, a few teams would love Ryan O'Reilly, but God knows how that ends. Once again, Derick Brassard's name is coming up. That's been an uneasy marriage, to say the least. The Columbus Blue Jackets have three first-round picks next year -- their own and one each from the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers. I can't imagine they'd trade their own for anything less than a superstud, but the other two are strong commodities in a deep draft.

I'm not going to pretend I understand most of what Friedeman is saying here, but he does say Brassard's name is coming up.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not going to pretend I understand most of what Friedeman is saying here, but he does say Brassard's name is coming up.

I don't expect any of our 3 first round picks being in play for a roster player. Brassard? Well the Jackets front office has seem really patient with Brassard and Mason in the past. I have no idea what they are going to do. There is plenty of time for the season to be effectively over and Brassard to get hot during that time frame.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...s-devils-out-to-prove-last-year-no-fluke.html

Am I missing something? Isn't he just saying Brassard is available (again, hence the "uneasy marriage" part), as might be the Rags/LA picks? For that matter, does he not also imply that our first could be had for a "superstud," whatever that might be? Not saying I buy all that, but Friedman is one of the best insiders in the sport and always eminently readable. What part is confusing to you, DSL?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Am I missing something? Isn't he just saying Brassard is available (again, hence the "uneasy marriage" part), as might be the Rags/LA picks? For that matter, does he not also imply that our first could be had for a "superstud," whatever that might be? Not saying I buy all that, but Friedman is one of the best insiders in the sport and always eminently readable. What part is confusing to you, DSL?

Was reading it wrong (as though he were trying to decide if the CBJ would trade one of its first-rounders for Brassard). You've - as usual -straightened me out, pete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->