Derick Brassard

IHeartZherdev*

I think we can officially call Brassard a bust. He's been completely invisible this year except for one shootout goal. Another feather in Dougie Mac's draft cap.

I know it's only been a few games but he was terrible last year, and hasn't been any good since he got in a fight with James Neal. That was years ago....but does anyone still think Brassard has any hope of being a "#1 center?"

Maybe I'm overreacting after last night's debacle, but I say he can be added to the list of players who stop being any good the second they signed their extension in Columbus, right alongside RJ :(

Last edited by a moderator:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't think he'll be a #1 center. However, the tools are there for a #2. However, I don't thin the mind is there for a top six center in this league on a playoff team. In other words, I think he would have a great career on the Islanders.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
A serviceable #2 center is not a bust.

Perception I guess. If your expectations where too high I could see that. I think the OP is off with the "bust". Bust is too often used for not meeting expectations.

IHeartZherdev*

He has been anything but serviceable. If he was a servicable #2, that wouldn't be a bust...but he creates no offense whatsoever

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He has been anything but serviceable. If he was a servicable #2, that wouldn't be a bust...but he creates no offense whatsoever

That sir is hyperbole and highly inaccurate. He produces at a sub 30 prod number, legit top six in this league. His assist totals illustrate he has play making abilities.

He's not, yet, what we hoped. But your analysis is deeply flawed.

IHeartZherdev*

That sir is hyperbole and highly inaccurate. He produces at a sub 30 prod number, legit top six in this league. His assist totals illustrate he has play making abilities.

He's basically been a 30 assist guy...that is not good for play maker

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Zherdev, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Filatov, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Brule, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Picard, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Leclaire, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust due to injury circumstances.

Brassard is still playing in the best league in the world, and putting up numbers. He may be a disappointment compared to what you expected, but he is in no way a bust.

IHeartZherdev*

Zherdev, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Filatov, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Brule, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Picard, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust
Leclaire, no longer in the NHL, is a Bust due to injury circumstances.

Brassard is still playing in the best league in the world, and putting up numbers. He may be a disappointment compared to what you expected, but he is in no way a bust.

I don't think using "at least he plays in the NHL" makes it better. If that's where the discussion goes, I think it's even more proof of a bust.

If he's a 40 point guy, not the #1 center we wanted, but he's still a valuable guy it's one thing - but he doesn't kill penalties, he's not that physical, and in my opinion, you rarely notice him on the ice.

Brass, RJ, Mason, and Tyutin are the only guys remaining from the Country Club and it might be time to send them packing

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I would categorize him as somewhat disappointing for a 6th overall pick; not close to a complete bust. The Blue Jackets specialize in early first round busts. Nikita Filatov, Gilbert Brule and Alexander Pickard were bonafide busts.

Brassard has been 3rd in Blue Jackets scoring for each of the past 2 years. Granted, the Blue Jackets are, well, the Blue Jackets, but he's still competing against NHLers.

On most teams, Brassard wouldn't be a top 6 player. He would be hard pressed to be on a 2nd PP unit as well. If I were a GM, I'd slot Brassard as an organizational depth player. Good enough to fill in at the NHL level, but no one I'd like to have on my roster full time. If Brassard were to receive the minutes that he'd get on a good team, he would be hard-pressed to crack the 30 point barrier. That type of production for his style of play makes him an NHL/AHL "tweener" in my book.

His contract expires after next year. If he doesn't show some improvement, he won't get a one-way contract of more than one year duration. Except, perhaps, from Scott Howson if he somehow survives to the end of 2013-14.

Last edited:

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
sorry...meant I agreed with Blah's post...thought i quoted...apparently did not...

No my apologies, my post was really meant to agree with you and blah.
Awkwardly phrased I guess.

As has been stated, a #2 center is not a bust. Now if one's expectations were for him to be more than that, then he may be disappointing. But there is a wide gulf between disappointing and bust.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

This.

He's certainly a #2 center even at this point. Watching the games, I don't think you can pin the blame on him very much. He has literally nothing on the wing to work with considering he's constantly matched with Umberger, Dorsett, a monkey with skates and a stick, etc.

He can't carry play himself but he can create chances, pass well, can shoot well, and can win face-offs. That's a #2 center.

Remember when people were getting flack for calling Umberger a "checking line forward?" Well guess what...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Thanks

He's certainly a #2 center even at this point. Watching the games, I don't think you can pin the blame on him very much. He has literally nothing on the wing to work with considering he's constantly matched with Umberger, Dorsett, a monkey with skates and a stick, etc.

However, let's not go that far. I can blame him for the mistakes that he is making. That makes him a #2 center on a poor team. This guy is not playing the game the right way, I don't care who is on his wing.

I'm not ready to start taking the excuses we used for Nash and start moving them off to other players. At some point you have to play the game the right way even if you are paired to Boll and DM. That might be an excuse to not produce, but it is not an excuse to take dumb penalties and cough up the puck in the neutral zone with that type of regularity.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
However, let's not go that far. I can blame him for the mistakes that he is making. That makes him a #2 center on a poor team. This guy is not playing the game the right way, I don't care who is on his wing.

I'm not ready to start taking the excuses we used for Nash and start moving them off to other players. At some point you have to play the game the right way even if you are paired to Boll and DM. That might be an excuse to not produce, but it is not an excuse to take dumb penalties and cough up the puck in the neutral zone with that type of regularity.

While that's true, I don't really take those things as hallmarks of a #2 center. Well... I mean they are but that's not what I'm getting at.

To me, his tangible attributes are there. He can shoot like a top-6 NHL'er, he can pass like a top-6 NHL'er, he can skate like a top-6 NHL'er. Brassard's cramps are mental ones but it's impossible for me to discern whether they're stemming from the team or him. Almost everyone on the team is creating horrible turnovers and taking bad penalties. So is it a system thing or a Brassard thing?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
On how many NHL teams would he be a 2nd line Center? At least one (Columbus) but not sure if it's more than 2-3 NHL teams would he be a 2nd line Center?
Guess again a few folks imply he's a 2nd line C - I disagree. For most NHL teams he's a 3rd line C.
Now that's not what you hope for with a #6 overall pick, but I still don't consider him a bust. He still has the potential to be a 2nd line C maybe?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
On how many NHL teams would he be a 2nd line Center? At least one (Columbus) but not sure if it's more than 2-3 NHL teams would he be a 2nd line Center?

Fairly certain he'd be at least the second line center:
Columbus,
Toronto,
Calgary,
Phoenix.

Possibly/Likely:
Edmonton (about equal to Gagner),
Islanders,
Montreal,
Nashville,
Florida.

I do think that the writing was on the wall when we drafted Johansen and proclaimed him to be "Nash's center" that Brassard wouldn't be a #1.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What? A team with no top lines focus on Brassard because he is our most dangerous player with the puck right now. Johansen and Atkinson are fast tracking, but there's a reason why he's not creating offense and its because they're keying on him. If he was on a good team with a good top line, and he got to play his more comfortable role as a #2 center he could put up 50 points easy. Was he worth the 6th overall pick? Don't think so, but he's not a bust.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
What? A team with no top lines focus on Brassard because he is our most dangerous player with the puck right now.

Oh dear lord. Yes, at the top of everyone's game plan is to stop Brassard. :scared:

Dangerous? Sure as dangerous as a great night sleep.

Ok, next.

IHeartZherdev*

Dubie has 0 points. At least you notice him hitting or crashing the net, trying to get something going.

Brass might have more skill than Foligno, yet I notice Foligno every shift trying to make something happen.

If Brass doesn't have what it takes to put up numbers, that's fine, but then he should at least attempt to produce in other ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->