Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

SpartyOn

May 3, 2011
Michigan
I haven't seen anyone yet note the fact that this is a Best of Five series and the first two games are on the road. You could argue that the stakes are too high to throw him in there on the road yet. If this was a best of seven series you might throw him out there because the first two games would have been in GR.

Maybe now we'll see him in Game Three or Four, but I think expecting to see him already was unrealistic.

I feel like I read something along the lines of this ...that the stakes are too high in a best of 5 series. I think if it was best of 7, like the rest of the playoffs are, maybe Cholo does get in the lineup..but you can't afford to put him in, on the road, in this situation. We'll see what happens, but I'm okay with him watching and learning right this second. Let's see what happens as the playoffs keep going.

Reactions: SirloinUB

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hronek went through the same thing last season. There is nothing wrong with sitting Cholowski.

Hronek isn't as good as Cholowski and was a slight offensive d-man with serious defensive issues. That doesn't fit with Cholowski. There is no reason at all that I can think of to keep him out, not a single one. It is just wrong in my opinion. I don't care who comes out, but somebody should he is better than all of them in my opinion including Hronek.

Before someone poses it no Hronek shouldn't really be one of the guys that sits. For me Russo or Renouf is who I would sit down to get Cholo into the lineup.

I do think he will get in eventually. But Nelson didn't play his best lineup against Manitoba this round.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hronek isn't as good as Cholowski and was a slight offensive d-man with serious defensive issues. That doesn't fit with Cholowski. There is no reason at all that I can think of to keep him out, not a single one. It is just wrong in my opinion. I don't care who comes out, but somebody should he is better than all of them in my opinion including Hronek.

Before someone poses it no Hronek shouldn't really be one of the guys that sits. For me Russo or Renouf is who I would sit down to get Cholo into the lineup.

I do think he will get in eventually. But Nelson didn't play his best lineup against Manitoba this round.

100% agree.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
100% agree.

What are you boycotting the like button...:laugh:

giphy.gif

Just kidding around Frk It.

Cholowski not being in the lineup really does irritate me though. Seriously we just delivered an end of season assessment where we talking about changing things and....

Interestingly the Athletic had an assessment on the men that surround Holland. It was pointed out that Martin is the most conservative, you can see that in some of the Griffins decisions. I know people will point out this is Todd Nelson's call. Okay well cancel that guy off the list of names people trot out to replace Blashill because that doesn't impress me at all with his understanding of young talent. Really the point used to champion him an awful lot around here because that stinks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm just glad someone else sees him as the superior prospect.

Not sure I like him better than Hronek, but he’s a more well rounded player for sure. Certainly ahead of where Hronek was last year when he got plugged into the playoffs, which I think is what TZE was speaking to.

What are you boycotting the like button...:laugh:

giphy.gif

Just kidding around Frk It.

Cholowski not being in the lineup really does irritate me though. Seriously we just delivered an end of season assessment where we talking about changing things and....

Interestingly the Athletic had an assessment on the men that surround Holland. It was pointed out that Martin is the most conservative, you can see that in some of the Griffins decisions. I know people will point out this is Todd Nelson's call. Okay well cancel that guy off the list of names people trot out to replace Blashill because that doesn't impress me at all with his understanding of young talent. Really the point used to champion him an awful lot around here because that stinks.

I got you :) ... forget about that sometimes!

Yeah, I just don’t think it’s justified. I think they are sitting a player who’s better than half their D core. He has come a long way in the last year.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Not sure I like him better than Hronek, but he’s a more well rounded player for sure. Certainly ahead of where Hronek was last year when he got plugged into the playoffs, which I think is what TZE was speaking to.

I got you :) ... forget about that sometimes!

Yeah, I just don’t think it’s justified. I think they are sitting a player who’s better than half their D core. He has come a long way in the last year.
I mean, maybe Cholowski isn't better in terms of pure defensive zone play, but he'll improve their transition game a lot. He's even better than Hronek at that, and Hronek is significantly better than everybody else right now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
TZE specifically said
I don't care who comes out, but somebody should he is better than all of them in my opinion including Hronek.

And I agree.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
TZE specifically said

And I agree.

Ah gotcha. That’s a tough one for me. Hronek has a ways to go still physically. Hard to know what he will look like as a finished product. I love everything about his offensive game though.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think the problem was that Russo wasn't given a chance this year to build off his stint in Detroit last season. He's 25. If he's not unseating Jensen and XO now, he's probably not going to unless they price themselves out of his way.

Russo regressed this season is because he gives little effort on the defensive side of his game. Still gets his points, but defensively, he has dropped considerably from last season. If Russo does not get his act together by next season, he will not be around long. Too bad as he looked good here until he got his shot in Detroit last season and since that time, it got to his head that he did not have to play hard and that was going to be the first d-man call up this season and the Wings chose Hicketts instead. Should be a real good battle in training camp next season for d-men.

If I was coach in GR and had to decide who to sit out on d, it would be Russo. The fans here in GR knows that and we watched game and game of his lack of effort on the defensive part of his game.

Cholowski has to go through the same process as Hronek did last season when he came late into the season and into the playoffs. Hronek came in to replace Lashoff for a couple of games in the playoffs due to an injury. That is how Hronek entered in the playoffs last season. Cholowski & Saarijarvi will most likely have to wait their turn as well and if an injury or two occurs on the Griffins blue line, they will be ready to fill in.

Cholowski and Saarijarvi will get their playing time in GR for next season as they both will most likely be penciled in the Griffins roster. I do not even know who will end up coaching the Griffins for next season. Could be a lot of new changes here in GR as well as Detroit for next season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Russo regressed this season is because he gives little effort on the defensive side of his game. Still gets his points, but defensively, he has dropped considerably from last season. If Russo does not get his act together by next season, he will not be around long. Too bad as he looked good here until he got his shot in Detroit last season and since that time, it got to his head that he did not have to play hard and that was going to be the first d-man call up this season and the Wings chose Hicketts instead. Should be a real good battle in training camp next season for d-men.

If I was coach in GR and had to decide who to sit out on d, it would be Russo. The fans here in GR knows that and we watched game and game of his lack of effort on the defensive part of his game.

Cholowski has to go through the same process as Hronek did last season when he came late into the season and into the playoffs. Hronek came in to replace Lashoff for a couple of games in the playoffs due to an injury. That is how Hronek entered in the playoffs last season. Cholowski & Saarijarvi will most likely have to wait their turn as well and if an injury or two occurs on the Griffins blue line, they will be ready to fill in.

Cholowski and Saarijarvi will get their playing time in GR for next season as they both will most likely be penciled in the Griffins roster. I do not even know who will end up coaching the Griffins for next season. Could be a lot of new changes here in GR as well as Detroit for next season.

I think Russo needs to do what he can to get dealt this summer. The guy should have been given a shot after last season's call-up, and while it would be nice if stuff like that doesn't affect a guy I don't see how it couldn't. And now he doesn't just have Xo/Jensen/etc. to compete with, but guys like Hronek and Cholo (and maybe Dahlin, we can dream) who are just better players out of the gate.

My comment about the injuries was a bit tongue in cheek, considering how guys tended to get their chances in Detroit, but I think it is an issue that's just wrong. If Cholowski can show up, and is better than this or that guy playing, we should be playing Cholowski. I don't like some aspects of our system, haven't for a bit. I'm not expecting much of a battle in camp. Part of the system is the team saying doing well in training camp is just part of the process in eventually getting into the lineup. I'm expecting us to go out and at least try to sign another UFA or to re-sign Green, and for Hicketts to dislodge XO as the depth D.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Ah gotcha. That’s a tough one for me. Hronek has a ways to go still physically. Hard to know what he will look like as a finished product. I love everything about his offensive game though.
I agree, I just see Cholo as the more well rounded hockey player right now.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think the coach who just won the Calder Cup last season knows what he's doing.

He is playing a less than optimal lineup where his most talented D-man is out of the lineup. He does know a lot, thankfully we have had Manitoba's number all year. But he better find a way to fix this in the second round because it is stupid. Unless this lineup carries him to back to back championships it is going to be wrong. That is pretty pure talent assessment. If Rasmussen gets knocked out he better go straight in, I don't need the practice angle or injury on that either. Now he has said that, but his hiccup with Cholowski scares me there too.

I get that coaches got to do what they got to do. But this one is absurd and I am going to call bs on it. There is just no way you can tell me with a straight face that Cholowski isn't a better option than some of these guys. He is advanced defensively so that cannot be the hold up. I have heard the five game series angle, I am just not buying what they are selling. It is probably very apparent in practice as well that he is ready and better than some of these guys. They don't skate like him, they don't have his passing ability or closing ability on offensive threats in the D-zone. It isn't a mistake, the guy is a first round NHL talent, he is more gifted than what is on hand.

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I actually get excited occasionally at the thought of them as a pairing. I think we usually split them, but they might wind up being very effective together.

Reactions: Winger98

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Just glad Cholo is now being hyped and people are excited for him to play. Big change from when he was drafted.

we probably won't hear much about him until 2020 at the earliest.
An utterly underwhelming pick. Would've wanted Rubstov.
I can't wait until he's 26 or 27 and still being mentioned as a player who could play for the winged wheel
etc.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Just glad Cholo is now being hyped and people are excited for him to play. Big change from when he was drafted.

etc.

that first one still looks pretty reasonable to be honest

he probably hits the lineup at some point next year because he'll be in the AHL but if he had stayed on the college route instead of switching to juniors 2020 probably would have been pretty much spot on

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
that first one still looks pretty reasonable to be honest

he probably hits the lineup at some point next year because he'll be in the AHL but if he had stayed on the college route instead of switching to juniors 2020 probably would have been pretty much spot on
Yep, totally agree. He was originally in college so there were good odds he'd be there for 3 years. He'll likely be in GR the full year next season and will likely start getting ice time in Detroit at some point in the 2019-20 season.

Hopefully he can get some ice time during this playoff run. I've always been confident Nelson would help his development. Blashill's D while coaching in GR never developed. Not a shock if you've seen his D in Detroit.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
He is playing a less than optimal lineup where his most talented D-man is out of the lineup. He does know a lot, thankfully we have had Manitoba's number all year. But he better find a way to fix this in the second round because it is stupid. Unless this lineup carries him to back to back championships it is going to be wrong. That is pretty pure talent assessment. If Rasmussen gets knocked out he better go straight in, I don't need the practice angle or injury on that either. Now he has said that, but his hiccup with Cholowski scares me there too.

I get that coaches got to do what they got to do. But this one is absurd and I am going to call bs on it. There is just no way you can tell me with a straight face that Cholowski isn't a better option than some of these guys. He is advanced defensively so that cannot be the hold up. I have heard the five game series angle, I am just not buying what they are selling. It is probably very apparent in practice as well that he is ready and better than some of these guys. They don't skate like him, they don't have his passing ability or closing ability on offensive threats in the D-zone. It isn't a mistake, the guy is a first round NHL talent, he is more gifted than what is on hand.

Here you go TZE!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad