Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Usually theyre not joining the team mid playoffs though. I dont think theres a single NHL team that sends their first round pick to the AHL with no time to practice and just throws them into the lineup for the first game of playoffs. Maybe some of them leaving the NCAA that are like 23 or 24 years old, but not a later first round pick that is 20. And not when Grand Rapids already has a pretty good blue line and a young player eating all the minutes Cholowski would likely excel in. Whose minutes does he take? Maybe Russo I guess, but hes not taking Hroneks minutes which means hes playing tougher defensive machups and not on the PP/offensive situations

Cal Foote has played 2 games in the AHL playoffs this year. Even younger than Cholowski is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cal Foote has played 2 games in the AHL playoffs this year. Even younger than Cholowski is.

Yeah and if Cholowski got 6 regular season games in plus all the time to practice with the team over the course of those 6 games he would probably get in the lineup as well. Big difference from 6 games plus practice time to just walking onto a team in the middle of playoffs with maybe one practice under your belt.

And what would that say to the defense that have played all year? That defense won a calder cup last year and have all played pretty well this year, you cant just throw someone into playoffs when hes spent no time with the team. It would likely piss a few players off as well

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah and if Cholowski got 6 regular season games in plus all the time to practice with the team over the course of those 6 games he would probably get in the lineup as well. Big difference from 6 games plus practice time to just walking onto a team in the middle of playoffs with maybe one practice under your belt.

And what would that say to the defense that have played all year? That defense won a calder cup last year and have all played pretty well this year, you cant just throw someone into playoffs when hes spent no time with the team. It would likely piss a few players off as well

Just pointing out other teams are doing some of these things.

Maybe it pisses people off. But who really cares if you piss Dan Renouf off? If anything, that's why you don't overload your rosters to begin with.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Maybe it pisses people off. But who cares if you piss Dan Renouf off? That's also why you just dont overload your rosters to begin with.

I would care about pissing Dan Renouf off. Grand Rapids is one of the best run AHL teams going. Renouf is a good player down there. You stop having good vets to mentor your young guys and you end up like Edmonton, except with even less skill. The Griffins are coming off a calder championship and its not like Cholowski is a top 5 pick getting sat for a bunch of players who have done nothing to deserve their playing time. But is Cholowski really going to play Renoufs minutes anyways? Hes a mean, physical guy that plays defensive situations, blocks shots etc.

And Grand Rapids has played young guys that get called up in the past. Hronek got into a few playoff games last year I believe and thats on a calder winning team. Difference was he actually got to practice and play with the team before playoffs started. Do you really think a player should just be thrown into the playoffs with no time with the team and no experience in pro hockey? Do people expect that to happen on a good hockey team?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Do you really think a player should just be thrown into the playoffs with no time with the team and no experience in pro hockey? Do people expect that to happen on a good hockey team?

If Cholowski is what we think he is, why not? He has been playing big minutes all year. He has developed physically a ton and is a great skater. Not like he is a skinny kid still or would be outmatched physically.

Personally I think he would be fine. I even think he could thrive or be an upgrade to some of the guys we have playing there now. I don't know why we look at these kids like they are fragile and can't handle pressure. The years of over-ripening doesn't mean we need to coddle all of our prospects.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If Cholowski is what we think he is, why not? He has been playing big minutes all year. He has developed physically a ton and is a great skater. Not like he is a skinny kid still or would be outmatched physically.

Personally I think he would be fine. I even think he could thrive or be an upgrade to some of the guys we have playing there now. I don't know why we look at these kids like they are fragile and can't handle pressure. The years of over-ripening doesn't mean we need to coddle all of our prospects.

Because its playoffs in the second or third best league in the world. Let him get a few practices in and maybe he'll get in the lineup. Its pro sports, not some junior B league where you pick up a random guy late in the season and will just chuck him in. Grand Rapids defense is good, I dont blame Nelson for not messing with it for a guy he has likely never seen play. Let him practice a bit and he probably will play some games.

We think Cholowski is a great prospect. Todd Nelson likely knows next to nothing about him and only cares about winning the Calder cup right now. I think he would be fine and probably an upgrade as well, but I think it was pretty obvious he wasnt going to play without spending some time with the team first so Nelson can get an idea of his game

Reactions: SirloinUB

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because its playoffs in the second or third best league in the world. Let him get a few practices in and maybe he'll get in the lineup. Its pro sports, not some junior B league where you pick up a random guy late in the season and will just chuck him in. Grand Rapids defense is good, I dont blame Nelson for not messing with it for a guy he has likely never seen play. Let him practice a bit and he probably will play some games.

We think Cholowski is a great prospect. Todd Nelson likely knows next to nothing about him and only cares about winning the Calder cup right now. I think he would be fine and probably an upgrade as well, but I think it was pretty obvious he wasnt going to play without spending some time with the team first so Nelson can get an idea of his game

That's fair. I do think what you said as far as timing is true, whereas if he was assigned closer to the end of the regular season he may be playing now. I just personally am not worried about throwing 6'2" 200+ lbs 1st round picks that have been playing top pairing minutes and skate very well into a high pressure situation at all. Not one bit. Hopefully he gets in soon, I think he will do well and give them a boost.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Ultimately it's up to Todd Nelson. I mean you can say we have too many veterans down there, but without some of those veterans GR is maybe not even in the playoffs and then there would actually be a zero % chance for Cholowski to play there (along with less development time for the other kids).

I don't think it's strange that a coach isn't jumping at the gun to insert a new guy in the playoffs.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's funny to see how quickly a guy like Russo can go from:
"Give the kid a chance in Detroit. He can't be worse than what we have and needs to develop"
to
"Why is this guy blocking the development of the kids in Grand Rapids, he's useless"

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
"Give the kid a chance in Detroit. He can't be worse than what we have and needs to develop"
to
"Why is this guy blocking the development of the kids in Grand Rapids, he's useless"
Joe Hicketts was called old in the other thread.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I haven't seen anyone yet note the fact that this is a Best of Five series and the first two games are on the road. You could argue that the stakes are too high to throw him in there on the road yet. If this was a best of seven series you might throw him out there because the first two games would have been in GR.

Maybe now we'll see him in Game Three or Four, but I think expecting to see him already was unrealistic.

Reactions: SirloinUB
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
to
Russo has plateaued quite badly. He looked like a guy who just needed to improve a bit more before he could play in the nhl. Just a little more offense.

And he still does.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Maybe it pisses people off. But who really cares if you piss Dan Renouf off? If anything, that's why you don't overload your rosters to begin with.

Awe come on now. Show Mr. Renouf some respect! This is the man's full time job now. How would you like it if you have been busting your ass all year on a project and are getting to the promised land but the company just hired some hot shot grad that came in and said step aside veteran Mr. Frk it I'll take it from here and then he gets all the glory? :)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
to

Pls show where someone said that.

I would think people said Russo should be given a chance up in detroit and if by now he can't cut it, then get rid of him.

But first, and again just to be clear so you don't misinterpret, get rid of others before russo.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
to

Russo was never any good. There's a reason the Islanders didn't even have any room for him on their AHL team

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I care more about him not playing because he is one of the six best options in my opinion. I disagree with sitting what amounts to probably our best d-man in Grand Rapids currently. That is my problem with it.

Hronek went through the same thing last season. There is nothing wrong with sitting Cholowski.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Might be a chance that Cholowski will be in the lineup for Game 3 on Wed. We lost 2 more forwards on Sunday (Holmstrom injury & Campbell suspension) which might create an opening. Mike Borkowski will fill in one of the forward spots. If Sadowy is not called up from Toledo to be the 12th forward, then Nelson could either go with 11 forwards and 7 d-man, or he can move Hicketts to play 4th line wing and bring in either Saarijarvi or Cholowski to fill in Hicketts d-man spot. Will see what transpires in the next day or two.

Update on Holmstrom:

Pete Wallner‏Verified account @petewallner

Axel Holmstrom did not practice for the Griffins on Tuesday, further thinning the already-thin center position. He'll be out at least a week, coach Todd Nelson said.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
to

I think the problem was that Russo wasn't given a chance this year to build off his stint in Detroit last season. He's 25. If he's not unseating Jensen and XO now, he's probably not going to unless they price themselves out of his way.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I care more about him not playing because he is one of the six best options in my opinion. I disagree with sitting what amounts to probably our best d-man in Grand Rapids currently. That is my problem with it.

They have to pay their dues and earn their chance. You know, by waiting for more injuries to pile up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad