Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What i mean is lets say the toronto marlies need a vet D in their AHL system. We would trade them XO (to the NHL)(for a conditional pick - i.e. nothing)
and they would put XO on waivers to send him to the AHL.

Ah, I get ya. I'm still wondering if there is some freedom in assigning him, though, if we can find a club that fits. I can't find a definitive answer on it. Most sites just take it for a given that a guy would be assigned to an affiliated club, while a couple made it sound like something could be worked out with a number of clubs.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dennis Cholowski and the preparation for a training camp...

Mark Bultman Article from The Athletic.

082718-AMF-097-side-by-side.jpg

Draft day picture on left and present picture on right.

Those pictures are just phenomenal. Total maturing in 2 years.

This was also main reason why Cholowski was a "hated" pick. He was much lower in draft rankings on the 2016 draft, because of his physical immaturity. For the same season he was also skipped totally in CHL draft. He was something like 5'5 there at 16-year-old.

But Red Wings took a bet and drafted him because of his skill and potential. And maybe he grows. And he did grow. Already nearer 6'2 than 6'1.

Cholowski is our hidden gem at the moment. Everything has gone better than expected. Nobody just knows him. At frist, he was hidden in College. WHL season told more and his coach really liked him. his great transition skating was easily seen in WHL highlights.

I'm quite sure Cholowski and Rasmussen will the biggest surprises when the training camp starts. There has been hype for others, but not much for them. Especially Cholowski.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yeah I could see cholo pushing for a spot. Have to think Hronek gets the first look though, considering he has a season of pro experience

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah I could see cholo pushing for a spot. Have to think Hronek gets the first look though, considering he has a season of pro experience

Yep. I could see Hronek getting the calls first (Hronek also has 8 months age advantage), but for career potential, Cholowski will be higher.

From old Athletic article, analyzes from two coaches about Cholowski...

Portland coach Mike Johnston:
“He’s even played better than I thought he would,” Johnston told The Athletic. “I knew he was good at jumping up into the play. I knew he had good speed, but I also thought that — I really felt that his defensive game, I didn’t really notice as much before, was way better than I had thought at that time.”

As Johnston spoke, he was more describing a type of player:
“He’s versatile. He’s all around. He moves the puck, jumps into the play, has a good stick defensively. He’s more of that type of defenseman.”

His game for me really translates well to the NHL type of defenseman everybody’s looking for right now,” Johnston said. “And I think he’s going to be a very good player.

Dominique Duharme, Team Canada WJC coach:

“He’s a really good skater. He’s a good transition guy. He’s a guy that — that new kind of defenseman, 2018 defenseman,” Ducharme told The Athletic. “Guys that are skating to transition. So he’s a guy that can [perform] well on both sides but has an offensive edge.”

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
D-man Cholowski grows into new role with Cougars

In this article the explanation for that to happen was just his late-growing.

“I’m a pretty offensive defenceman, just asserting myself and taking control and you’ve got to be sound defensively as well and I’ve been working on that and I think I’ve gotten much better,” said Cholowski.

“Hockey always came naturally, I just didn’t really grow at the right time at the bantam draft.

There were 125 reasons why Dennis Cholowski was still available 10 rounds into the 2013 Western Hockey League bantam draft.

That was his weight in pounds as a skinny five-foot-five defenceman while he was playing for the Langley Eagles bantam Tier 1 team when the Prince George Cougars called his name.

So he was 5'5-5'6 then, now 6'1 or even possibly 6'2.

More in here:

Hockey-addicted Cholowski grows as a player for SCSU

"The big growth spurt started in my last year of midgets before I went to junior hockey," he said. "By the time I was in my second year of juniors, I was the size I am today.
"It was about a span of a year and a half that I sprouted up. I went from 5-foot-6, 125 pounds to 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds. I think I'm honestly closer to 6-2 now."

I kind of used the motivation of not being drafted very high in the WHL Draft because I was small," said Cholowski, who was taken in the 10th round (200th overall) of the 2013 WHL Draft by Prince George. "I was hoping that I would grow, eventually.
"I went to one camp with them the year I was drafted," he said of Prince George. "All the guys that they drafted that year were way bigger than me. I was small, the little guy on defense who could skate."

About the Weight side:

Red Wings prospect Dennis Cholowski has gotten bigger, stronger in last year

Cholowski began preparing for the 2017-18 campaign at this year's Red Wings development camp. One of the things Cholowski said he wanted to do last year was get bigger and stronger and he's taken a step in that direction during the past year after weighing in at 196 pounds in Traverse City.

"We drafted him and he was 170 pounds," said Tyler Wright, the Red Wings director of amateur scouting. "Some of it's just physically getting mature and growing into becoming a man but a lot of that also is the work that nobody sees and he's putting time and the effort in.

All are articles from last summer or older.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Since footage of him is a little on the slim side, I'll steal/re-share these two GIFs from the development camp. Small clips that show off some of the talents he has and what kind of player he could be.

KZjrw8.gif

2vmkLA.gif

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He looked damn good in development camp. Head up, never panics, always makes good decisions. Jumps up offensively at the right times.

Can't wait to see how he holds up against tougher competition.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I really hope Cholowski works out and don't want to rush the kid if he's not ready, but the PR spin against Chychrun in some of these threads is getting a little ridiculous.

Can I ask what you are referring to?
The only knock on Chychrun that I have read has been the injury history, which was the knock going into the draft as well.

No accusing you of lying, I'm just curious what people are saying.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Can I ask what you are referring to?
The only knock on Chychrun that I have read has been the injury history, which was the knock going into the draft as well.

No accusing you of lying, I'm just curious what people are saying.

A lot of them were in a thread that got derailed and turned into the Cholo/Chychrun debate. It looks like they've since been deleted, I'm assuming since they were off-topic.

But there were things being said like Chychrun is only playing in the NHL because he's a giant. He's 6'2" and now 210 lbs. Good size but hardly giant, especially since it sounds like Cholowski is approaching that size.

Now the injury history has become injury prone. Which, maybe he'll turn out to be. Or maybe he had a couple incidents in a short time. Who knows. Remember the start of Kronwall's career?

Comments about how far he fell in the draft, which is especially funny given how the Wings benefited from that just this draft. That maybe they "knew something." How he's only playing as the 5th defenseman on the Yotes (at 20 years old).

But in his first season on a bad Coyotes team, Chychrun also put up 20 points in 68 games. That gave him more points than any Dman on the Wings not named Mike Green.

The reality is that Chychrun is only 20 years old. He's more of a known quantity because he's been playing in the NHL but is still very young for a defenseman. It just seems like some people go out of their way to trash Chychrun and pump up Cholowski to justify Holland's decision that draft and it has very little to do with the actual players involved. It very much remains to be seen what kind of players they'll become.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
A lot of them were in a thread that got derailed and turned into the Cholo/Chychrun debate. It looks like they've since been deleted, I'm assuming since they were off-topic.

But there were things being said like Chychrun is only playing in the NHL because he's a giant. He's 6'2" and now 210 lbs. Good size but hardly giant, especially since it sounds like Cholowski is approaching that size.

Now the injury history has become injury prone. Which, maybe he'll turn out to be. Or maybe he had a couple incidents in a short time. Who knows. Remember the start of Kronwall's career?

Comments about how far he fell in the draft, which is especially funny given how the Wings benefited from that just this draft. That maybe they "knew something." How he's only playing as the 5th defenseman on the Yotes (at 20 years old).

But in his first season on a bad Coyotes team, Chychrun also put up 20 points in 68 games. That gave him more points than any Dman on the Wings not named Mike Green.

The reality is that Chychrun is only 20 years old. He's more of a known quantity because he's been playing in the NHL but is still very young for a defenseman. It just seems like some people go out of their way to trash Chychrun and pump up Cholowski to justify Holland's decision that draft and it has very little to do with the actual players involved. It very much remains to be seen what kind of players they'll become.

Ok, I see.

Agreed that Chychrun is a very good D-man, saying otherwise sounds more like someone trying to convince themselves that we easily won the trade. The only knock I really take seriously is the injury history. I do personally think we won that trade, but not because I think Chychrun is a bad player, and if Hronek wasnt involved, I wouldnt think that.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ok, I see.

Agreed that Chychrun is a very good D-man, saying otherwise sounds more like someone trying to convince themselves that we easily won the trade. The only knock I really take seriously is the injury history. I do personally think we won that trade, but not because I think Chychrun is a bad player, and if Hronek wasnt involved, I wouldnt think that.

I was one of those guys involved in the "PR spin" against Chychrun. Watching people on here still cry about not picking him is old to me when he hasnt done a whole lot to say hes anything special. Hes had a very meh start to his career and people act like the wings gave up on a top 4 dman straight out of his draft. Hes playing as a 5th dman on a bad defense, people need to let it play out before they spin that trade into something negative. Especially considering Hronek was also involved in that deal.

Thats without even mentioning his injury issues. Hes missed at least ten games a year since his first year of junior, a couple of those years 30 or more.

Its not a PR spin to say hes not some amazing young player and that we should let it play out before saying hes better than Cholowski long term, or that hes better than having Cholowski and Hronek

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I was one of those guys involved in the "PR spin" against Chychrun. Watching people on here still cry about not picking him is old to me when he hasnt done a whole lot to say hes anything special. Hes had a very meh start to his career and people act like the wings gave up on a top 4 dman straight out of his draft. Hes playing as a 5th dman on a bad defense, people need to let it play out before they spin that trade into something negative. Especially considering Hronek was also involved in that deal.

Thats without even mentioning his injury issues. Hes missed at least ten games a year since his first year of junior, a couple of those years 30 or more.

Its not a PR spin to say hes not some amazing young player and that we should let it play out before saying hes better than Cholowski long term, or that hes better than having Cholowski and Hronek

This makes it seem like they couldn't have Hronek and Chychrun, which isn't just a flat out falsehood, its a disingenuous argument. They could have easily picked him at 46th.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It seems that my comments are those which seems to be that "PR spin". Oh dear... :huh:

Just have to ask, what a heck is wrong when trying to write something positive about our own prospects? This is mostly a prospects board, for "hockey's future".

This "everything must be bad" -mentality is just disgusting. Why do some people hate every single slice of positivity? [mod] Most positive and reasonable writers in here seems to be europeans. Is it easier for us to be far away from Detroit?

I just couldn't be any happier, than see our management making right decisions, that trade-down for two picks was as smart move as any when collecting extra picks. I don't care is it Holland or Mark Hunter, they are executing it right now, period. And I can't be any happier, if both of those picks (Cholowski and Hronek) are gonna pan out. I'm f***ing gonna celebrate. I celebrate like I'm celebrating that Mantha-trade-down, which got us Bertuzzi. We are on a right way, when our new management since 2013 started making good decisions. Many in here were against both moves on those, or wrong guy was drafted, and it's just fun to see, when the REALITY hits, that these guys are doing well, and our management knew better, than some freak-out fans.

I understand if the negativity comes from the current team or past contracts, but that's the way to get high draft picks. Let the bad contracts be. They will work in our favor. On times when the team is crap, I want to celebrate about something. I want to celebrate when our draft picks are doing well. I've been a Red Wings fan for 23 years and I'm gonna be that for another 23 years. With positivity.

Nobody is gonna take that fun away from me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Just have to ask, what a heck is wrong when trying to write something positive about our own prospects? This is mostly a prospects board, for "hockey's future".

This "everything must be bad" -mentality is just disgusting. Why do some people hate every single slice of positivity?

The trolling and negativity was never curbed, so this is the result. Positivity around here is out the window so it creates little motivation to have meaningful discussions.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Great point Henkka.. I will always look forward to seeing new red wings play, and watching our team develop... I have never done that before. Red Wings were always good since i have watched. I find pondering how we are rebuilding and watching what moves we make just as fun.

Also... These past 2 drafts, just great for us. Prepare to have a better team yall.

Reactions: kliq

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I'm not sure you were one of those guys but I agree with what you're saying, especially the part I bolded.

To him being the 5th D-man, while true he's doing that playing 20 minutes a night. It's not like he's generational but a 20 year old d-man handling those minutes is a good sign of his potential.
It seems that my comments are those which seems to be that "PR spin". Oh dear... :huh:

This "everything must be bad" -mentality is just disgusting. Why do some people hate every single slice of positivity? Is it Trump, or something happening in America? Most positive and reasonable writers in here seems to be europeans. Is it easier for us to be far away from Detroit?

I just couldn't be any happier, than see our management making right decisions, that trade-down for two picks was as smart move as any when collecting extra picks. I don't care is it Holland or Mark Hunter, they are executing it right now, period. And I can't be any happier, if both of those picks (Cholowski and Hronek) are gonna pan out. I'm ****ing gonna celebrate. I celebrate like I'm celebrating that Mantha-trade-down, which got us Bertuzzi. We are on a right way, when our new management since 2013 started making good decisions. Many in here were against both moves on those, or wrong guy was drafted, and it's just fun to see, when the REALITY hits, that these guys are doing well, and our management knew better, than some freak-out fans.

I understand if the negativity comes from the current team or past contracts, but that's the way to get high draft picks. Let the bad contracts be. They will work in our favor. On times when the team is crap, I want to celebrate about something. I want to celebrate when our draft picks are doing well. I've been a Red Wings fan for 23 years and I'm gonna be that for another 23 years. With positivity.

Nobody is gonna take that fun away from me.

My post didn't make any reference to having a problem with saying something positive about a Wings player, so I have no idea what you're on about ( I actually started the original post with "I hope Cholowski works out...").

I was referring to being negative about Chychrun for dubious reasons. The ultimate point being it's way too early to know for sure about either of these guys.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure you were one of those guys but I agree with what you're saying, especially the part I bolded.

To him being the 5th D-man, while true he's doing that playing 20 minutes a night. It's not like he's generational but a 20 year old d-man handling those minutes is a good sign of his potential.

My post didn't make any reference to having a problem with saying something positive about a Wings player, so I have no idea what you're on about ( I actually started the original post with "I hope Cholowski works out...").

I was referring to being negative about Chychrun for dubious reasons. The ultimate point being it's way too early to know for sure about either of these guys.

And that's behind OEL, Goligovski, Hjalmarasson, and Demers. That team has had some injury issues up and down their blueline the past couple of years, but those four guys aren't exactly Lilja level guys. If anything, I think working Chychrun in with those guys is a good development move for them. If they could stay healthy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And that's behind OEL, Goligovski, Hjalmarasson, and Demers. That team has had some injury issues up and down their blueline the past couple of years, but those four guys aren't exactly Lilja level guys. If anything, I think working Chychrun in with those guys is a good development move for them. If they could stay healthy.

Jason Demers is a bad hockey player, he is one of those analytic crowd players that stinks whenever I watch him. Chychrun reminds me a lot of Brad Stuart. Just people figured out Stuart didn't have as much offensive upside after his draft year, Chychrun had that concern brought up during his draft season driving him down the board.

Good #4 D-man on a winning team at somepoint. I like that we went with a guy I believe has a higher upside. We beg for them to do that I think this actually is an example of that.

Reactions: Ezekial

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I'm much more concerned with his game and happy it's coming along, but ha, wouldn't that be something if Cholo ended up being Chychrun's size or perhaps even larger?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Jason Demers is a bad hockey player, he is one of those analytic crowd players that stinks whenever I watch him. Chychrun reminds me a lot of Brad Stuart. Just people figured out Stuart didn't have as much offensive upside after his draft year, Chychrun had that concern brought up during his draft season driving him down the board.

Good #4 D-man on a winning team at somepoint. I like that we went with a guy I believe has a higher upside. We beg for them to do that I think this actually is an example of that.

While true, Chychrun has already done something no Red Wings defensive draft pick has done in 20 years, that is score 20 or more points. I really hope Holland made the right decision with that move. I think we find that out within the next 2-3 years.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's not like he's generational but a 20 year old d-man handling those minutes is a good sign of his potential.
While he has made a decent impact early on, what I look for in a young player is often a forward progress. Chychrun in this regard is not impressive.

d-1: 0.79PPG (OHL)
d+0: 0.79PPG (OHL)
d+1: 0.29PPG (NHL)
d+2: 0.29PPG (NHL)

He has lived up to his billing as a guaranteed NHLer, but there's not much of an upwards trajectory. That makes me question potential.

While true, Chychrun has already done something no Red Wings defensive draft pick has done in 20 years, that is score 20 or more points. I really hope Holland made the right decision with that move. I think we find that out within the next 2-3 years.
Quincey was 2003, Kronwall 2000. Those are both in the last 20 years. Brendan Smith did have 19 in 71 games, and Kindl 19 in 66 games. Pretty close. Anyway we're not looking for D that can score 20 points. We're looking for those who can have 40+, 50+, 60+. Who can log 25 minutes a night and look good.

Last edited:
Reactions: lomekian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad