Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Looks like Cholowski will replace Hicketts on defense and Hicketts will move over to the 4th line to play wing. Borkowski will be inserted in the lineup to replace Holmstrom for the remainder of the first round.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
It is possible that Nelson might be forced to play 11 forwards and 7 d-man, but with tonight's game with Campbell suspended for the game, the Griffins have only 11 healthy/available forwards with Borkowski included. Nelson prefer to roll 4 lines and for that to happen tonight, he would slide Hicketts to the 4th line wing to do that. Hicketts has played a few games earlier in the season at wing and he has been on the 2nd PP unit as a net front guy as well. Plus he would like to see what Cholowski can do if he is partnered with someone instead of rotating around if you have 7 d-man in your lineup. Will see when the lineups come out later this afternoon if that is the case or not.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Are you sure? It sounds like they are just going with 7 D.

Griffins have no choice tonight in going with 11 forwards and 7 d-men. Griffins only have 11 available/healthy forwards for tonight's game (Street, Tangradi, Puempel, Svechnikov, Elson, Esposito, Elkins, Nastasiuk, Ford, Shine, & Borkowski).

I would not be surprised during tonight's game that Hicketts will get some time playing on wing on the 4th line to get 4 lines rollingand be on the 2nd PP unit. I would also not be surprised to see Manitoba go after Svechnikov and Shine to get one or both of them off their game to get them to fight or make them take penalties to disrupt our forward line combinations.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I assume correctly that if he dosent win this year it must mean he dosent doesn't now what he is doing?

No, what I'm saying is he knows how to win at the AHL level. He has three Calder Cups: one as a player, assistant coach and head coach. We shouldn't be questioning his lineup decisions.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No, what I'm saying is he knows how to win at the AHL level. He has three Calder Cups: one as a player, assistant coach and head coach. We shouldn't be questioning his lineup decisions.

He's a seasoned vet, captaining ships for 20 years, and we shouldn't question his decisions. If anyone is going to get this ship across the Atlantic, it's him.

If only appealing to authority was always unquestionably right.

Reactions: Max Simon

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The difference in potential value of a 1st rounder vs 3rd rounder.

I remember Saarijärvi said three years ago, that he is gonna take all the possible years to develop at lower levels, before even thinking NHL.

It was kind of odd but understandable comment, kind of exact opposite what players usually say. They usually say that of course they want up as fast as possible. But what comes to Vili, I think he just knows his own realities. It will take years for him to build the muscle and when he doesn't play for Griffins, he can hit the gym. Energy saved as a healthy scratch can be left to gym. And if the power-play spots are next year locked for other guys, he can go to Toledo, where he can be the main 1st PP guy.

Saarijärvi will be waiver-free until 2021, so there's still years of time to wait. If he ever pans out, it's a great story, but the percetages are still low for an NHL career. Cholowski and Hronek are looking so nice at the moment, so I think Vili currently only as a bonus or a trade bait. Also this 2018 draft could lower his possibilities in team hierarchy, if we draft a TOP defenceman with our 1st rounder this year.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think Russo needs to do what he can to get dealt this summer. The guy should have been given a shot after last season's call-up, and while it would be nice if stuff like that doesn't affect a guy I don't see how it couldn't. And now he doesn't just have Xo/Jensen/etc. to compete with, but guys like Hronek and Cholo (and maybe Dahlin, we can dream) who are just better players out of the gate.

My comment about the injuries was a bit tongue in cheek, considering how guys tended to get their chances in Detroit, but I think it is an issue that's just wrong. If Cholowski can show up, and is better than this or that guy playing, we should be playing Cholowski. I don't like some aspects of our system, haven't for a bit. I'm not expecting much of a battle in camp. Part of the system is the team saying doing well in training camp is just part of the process in eventually getting into the lineup. I'm expecting us to go out and at least try to sign another UFA or to re-sign Green, and for Hicketts to dislodge XO as the depth D.
I agree with hating how we bring guys up. We shouldn't be afraid to send a guy down despite his contract. Management needs to accept that some of our contracts are sunk costs.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree with hating how we bring guys up. We shouldn't be afraid to send a guy down despite his contract. Management needs to accept that some of our contracts are sunk costs.

At some point we shouldn't even bother sending them down, we need to move them out of the organization. Looking at next season, if we send XO down and he clears, and it pushes Saarijarvi to Toledo again, limits minutes for Hronek and whoever else we have in GR, etc., it's not helping us just moving XO down. It's nice we have guys willing to throw word salad at reporters about doing what they need to do and whatever else, but playing either fewer minutes or minutes against inferior competition isn't going to push their games any. They have to play to get better.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Had a decent game. Not much ice time and definitely nervous at the beginning.

Once he settled in he showcased his transition capabilities and composure with the puck. Head is always up, scanning the ice.

It's pretty amazing how quickly he's filled out.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
At some point we shouldn't even bother sending them down, we need to move them out of the organization. Looking at next season, if we send XO down and he clears, and it pushes Saarijarvi to Toledo again, limits minutes for Hronek and whoever else we have in GR, etc., it's not helping us just moving XO down. It's nice we have guys willing to throw word salad at reporters about doing what they need to do and whatever else, but playing either fewer minutes or minutes against inferior competition isn't going to push their games any. They have to play to get better.

How do you get rid of him if nobody takes him for free? Take on some other useless asset?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
How do you get rid of him if nobody takes him for free? Take on some other useless asset?

It's hard to imagine someone won't need a 7/8D at some point in the season.

Otherwise, buy him out. At just over $200k for this year and next year, it's a better to free up development spots.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think its clear XO is currently being shopped for an opportunity elsewhere. there were articles last year about this. Moving him is a favor for XO. He no longer has any future with Detroit.

So from his point of view his best options are:

1) trade to new team (NHL)
2) due to our many D prospects.. trade to a new team (AHL)
3) demotion to AHL while being on the block to any other AHL team.
4) Buyout // Retire.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think its clear XO is currently being shopped for an opportunity elsewhere. there were articles last year about this. Moving him is a favor for XO. He no longer has any future with Detroit.

So from his point of view his best options are:

1) trade to new team (NHL)
2) due to our many D prospects.. trade to a new team (AHL)
3) demotion to AHL while being on the block to any other AHL team.
4) Buyout // Retire.

Is there an unaffiliated AHL team the Wings could work a deal with to just assign him there? Do the wings have to be affiliated with a club to send players to it without a trade?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Is there an unaffiliated AHL team the Wings could work a deal with to just assign him there? Do the wings have to be affiliated with a club to send players to it without a trade?

What i mean is lets say the toronto marlies need a vet D in their AHL system. We would trade them XO (to the NHL)(for a conditional pick - i.e. nothing)
and they would put XO on waivers to send him to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->