Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I wonder if they were not happy with the program he was in at St. Cloud and think he would be better developed in Grand Rapids? Can't really say I know much about about college hockey, but it seems odd that they would sign him now.

Would he even be able to play in the AHL? Or would he have to go to the CHL/ some other minor league? Not sure how that works here.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
that's unexpected and strange

means he's for sure leaving college next year since the ELC makes him ineligible correct?

I wonder if they were not happy with the program he was in at St. Cloud and think he would be better developed in Grand Rapids? Can't really say I know much about about college hockey, but it seems odd that they would sign him now.

Would he even be able to play in the AHL? Or would he have to go to the CHL/ some other minor league? Not sure how that works here.

he could go to the AHL,the 20 year old thing is only a CHL thing that exists because the CHL negotiated it with the NHL

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I can't understand this. He had top 4 minutes all year and the Wings know what we do...since Jensen was ours. Kid is not ready for the Pros. Just makes no sense.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, seems very odd to give the kid who is described as having the "body of a 16 year old" an ELC contract when they have plenty of time to spare.

I'm wondering if there is more to the story. But congrats Cholowski. I know in that same article they said he is a rink rat. So keep working kid.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Definitely unexpected, maybe he didn't like homework and reading as much as he said he did.

I'm down though let's see what this kid can do in our program.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Well hopefully hes a gym rat over the summer and then is ready to go for GRG/DET next year. I suspect our awful D situation means they expect he might be playing in NHL next year. Giving him the incentive to work his butt off in the off-season rather than cruise his way through 4 years of college.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can't understand this. He had top 4 minutes all year and the Wings know what we do...since Jensen was ours. Kid is not ready for the Pros. Just makes no sense.

It is a little surprising. But perhaps that wasn't what they were promised and they disagree while following him why he wasn't given more opportunity. I didn't think he was being misused the couple of times I watched, but we don't know what the Wings and Cholo told SCSU either at various points. They could well have been told this was an end game and when they ignored it this happened... Total speculation, but our guys do talk to their coaches a lot.

Excited for him as he is a terrific skater. Cholo and Hronek playing pro next year might be really good for us long-term.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wasn't expecting that for another year? Is he reporting to GR?

Can't go back to school. Either has to play AHL or NHL hockey, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Forgot he's still 19, so he could go CHL for a year.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way again I think this speaks to how high of regard the Wings have for Cholowski. They were pretty over the moon when they drafted him and now are turning him pro without hesitation. Some decision makers and scouts within our organization are clearly very high on him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
By the way again I think this speaks to how high of regard the Wings have for Cholowski. They were pretty over the moon when they drafted him and now are turning him pro without hesitation. Some decision makers and scouts within our organization are clearly very high on him.

Seems like quite a departure from the overripening philosophy, if true. Seems like an odd prospect to do this with. As weak as Larkin looks like on the puck some nights, I think he is miles ahead of Cholowski. Larkin also had a monster, even historically good freshman season. Where Cholowski had an OK freshman season.

Also holy crap we are going to have a logjam in Grand Rapids next year

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Seems like quite a departure from the overripening philosophy, if true. Seems like an odd prospect to do this with. As weak as Larkin looks like on the puck some nights, I think he is miles ahead of Cholowski. Larkin also had a monster, even historically good freshman season. Where Cholowski had an OK freshman season.

Also holy crap we are going to have a logjam in Grand Rapids next year

Griffins have already a logjam in the forwards and veterans right now. Might as well have one for the D-men group as well. Everybody else is coming to GR right now, whats one more player.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I'd be surprised if he went pro. I'm guessing he's going to Prince George.

The Wings didn't have to sign him for him to go to the WHL...could've just left college and reported next season...also makes me wonder if they know de Han isn't coming

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Strange.

Was playing 2nd/3rd pairing minutes and is physically immature.

Good luck to the kid.

Playing hockey is a lot more fun than studying, perhaps he now knows this.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Strange.

Was playing 2nd/3rd pairing minutes and is physically immature.

Good luck to the kid.

Playing hockey is a lot more fun than studying, perhaps he now knows this.

I can confirm this. Finals around the corner, pls help :cry::cry:

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
The Wings didn't have to sign him for him to go to the WHL...could've just left college and reported next season...also makes me wonder if they know de Han isn't coming

They don't have to sign him so he can play in the WHL, but they're going to sign him because he's our top pick from the last draft. I think there's a good chance he goes to the WHL, the AHL is not gonna be ideal for a 19 year old lacking strength/size.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'd be surprised if he went pro. I'm guessing he's going to Prince George.

I too think he lands back at Prince George. If he had complaints about ice time (no idea if that is the case, but it isn't an uncommon complaint) as an 18-year-old freshmen at SCSU, I don't see why you would expect the situation to get any better in the AHL.

I am just going to trust Dennis and the organization on this one. They know his situation and desires better than anyone.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Given his stature and age, it makes a ton more sense to have him in the CHL playing big minutes against young/smaller bodies than playing fewer minutes and games against mostly 20-22 year olds.

With the way he talked about wanting to go to SCSU so badly post-draft, and enjoying school, I wouldn't be surprised if the ELC was the bargaining chip to get him to go to the CHL.

But I'm pretty excited. Can't remember when I was last pumped about an almost guaranteed-to-sign prospect actually signing his ELC. To me, this signals they're really on top of this kid's development.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Given his stature and age, it makes a ton more sense to have him in the CHL playing big minutes against young/smaller bodies than playing fewer minutes and games against mostly 20-22 year olds.

With the way he talked about wanting to go to SCSU so badly post-draft, and enjoying school, I wouldn't be surprised if the ELC was the bargaining chip to get him to go to the CHL.

But I'm pretty excited. Can't remember when I was last pumped about an almost guaranteed-to-sign prospect actually signing his ELC. To me, this signals they're really on top of this kid's development.

I am not sure I am following the logic of your first paragraph. Is your point that it will be easier for him to gain significant ice time because he will have fewer physical limitations at that level? If it isn't, I don't get how intentionally playing against younger competition makes you more prepared for playing against the bigger stronger players you will face in pro hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->