Sportsnet: Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher - Available for Sweetners in Trade

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
It doesn't matter what you believe, it's reality. We would get lowballed or not get a full return because every single team knows that we'd lose one of Blackwood or Demko. If we didn't, we'd be paying a 1st to Seattle to not take one and that's something we're not in a position to do. There's no reason to go after Demko for us.
Ok perhaps I responded to the wrong op and the other person was the one i shouldve directed my comment at .
Your right blackwood is the one .

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I think this move only happens if Markstrom re-signs.

Of course. . . I’m not saying dipietro comes in this year . . I’m saying they have faith that he can be that guy for the future instead of Demko. . Moot point tho cuz I don’t think they move Demko as a sweetener

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
The issue is if you have 2 good or better goalies you have to expose one to Seattle, trade the other goalie or pay Seattle to take someone else. If markstrom re-signs with Vancouver, that leaves Vancouver with a serious problem.
I think if you trade one of your #1 goalies to a team that doesn't have one and expose your ahl goalie that would work.
At the last ED I think we protected markstrom and exposed Bachman on Utica and Ryan millar was ufa.
The point of keeping both and trading one is getting an asset for one instead of nothing.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
So the Canucks are trying to clear salary and you think they’d want to add their best trade able asset along with a cap dump for a player they have 0 need for whom takes up more cap than the dump?

The player coming your way isn’t a cap dump.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Last year JB said he was only interested in trading for top 6 and top 4 dmen since then he has added Millar , Pearson and Toffoli .
I dont believe hes interested in trading his goalie of the future for a player who would not crack our top six.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
He’s of no use to the Canucks. I never said he was a dump I said a player with higher cap than the dump (baerstchi). Honestly I’m sure if baerstchi got that ice time he would have put up similar stats in the nhl last season

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think if you trade one of your #1 goalies to a team that doesn't have one and expose your ahl goalie that would work.
At the last ED I think we protected markstrom and exposed Bachman on Utica and Ryan millar was ufa.
The point of keeping both and trading one is getting an asset for one instead of nothing.

That's what i was suggesting regarding Vancouver no way they'll have both markstrom (if he re-signs) and Demko at the deadline when the team needs to submit its expose list.

Reactions: Teflon Jim

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The troubling part with these two is they both are likely to get arbitration awards that are 1-1.5 million too high.

And that is the problem with them being "sweeteners" teams trading for them would not want them at their arbitration contract values. With there being a very good chance Vancouver does not qualify either of them due to arbitration they have zero value as a sweetener. Teams will wait until they are released into the UFA sea along with others.

Demko is the only sweetener he really has and I am not so sure Vancouver really wants to lose him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
No, what? Guadette has shown way more than Jost. Like its not even close to a comparable.
Gaudette just hung a 0 goal and 0 assist playoff run over ten games. You could score 0 goals and 0 assists in 10 playoff games.

Let’s just say guys like Jost and Gaudette are not some unique rare talents. They are dime a dozen bottom six forwards. Gaudette also being two years older than Jost too. He’ll be 24 before next season starts.

as stated before, this guy isn’t bursting with trade value.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Gaudette just hung a 0 goal and 0 assist playoff run over ten games. You could score 0 goals and 0 assists in 10 playoff games.

Let’s just say guys like Jost and Gaudette are not some unique rare talents. They are dime a dozen bottom six forwards. Gaudette also being two years older than Jost too. He’ll be 24 before next season starts.

as stated before, this guy isn’t bursting with trade value.

Kailer hung up 0 points too.

I'm not gonna react to a small sample size, especially to a young forwards first playoff run, under weird circumstances.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Kailer hung up 0 points too.

I'm not gonna react to a small sample size, especially to a young forwards first playoff run, under weird circumstances.
Ok. Well then he’s got a total of 17 goals in 120 games. And 0 in 10 playoff games. So 17 goals in 130 games that matter. He’s a 0.13 goals per game player entering his age 24 season. Sounds like a bottom six forward to me. Hence, little trade value.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ok. Well then he’s got a total of 17 goals in 120 games. And 0 in 10 playoff games. So 17 goals in 130 games that matter. He’s a 0.13 goals per game player entering his age 24 season. Sounds like a bottom six forward to me. Hence, little trade value.

Making it sound like he's old.

Gaudette is pretty skilled, and his wrist shot is just deadly, To pretend he's going to be a 0.13 GPG forward onward is just laughably naive.

There are other things to criticize about Gaudette, his goal scoring isn't one of them.

Like he definitely isn't good enough overall to be a Centre in the NHL, as a winger imo he will pot 25 goals.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think JB said he's not interested in adding sweeteners so I'll accept that will be the solution because not signing our 30 year old ufas and keeping our youth is an option.

he already said he's not adding sweetneers to move Ericksson although that was on Ericksson, either way I doubt he is going to add those players as sweetners. sportsnet650 just getting desperate.

Reactions: Teflon Jim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad