Sportsnet: Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher - Available for Sweetners in Trade

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
why is every proposal theres rententions.. van has money from spooner/luongo recapture penalty why in the world would they retain a part of the player they are trading makes no sense. just trade for example sutter to edmonton or whomever for a pick. with no rentention. the point is to have cap space. not trade and eat half.. of their contracts. if your trading sutter or beagle and retain half. might as well just keep them. because i think its ridiculous to even eat half their money when you've dealt them to their new teams.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
For people mentioning Demko in the regular season being average.
His first few games sure, but after he settled down, he learned a ton and played way better.
Stat's don't always tell the whole story.

This guy has been developed perfectly, guy is a future star

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
According to Sportsnet 650 the Canucks have made the following players available for trade as additions or sweetners to be attched with bad contracts.

Apparently Benning isnt willing to add draft picks as sweetners right now to move some of the bad contracts.

Background:

Demko- Potential #1 Goalie, along with Bill Foley they both currently own the Vegas Golden Knights

Virtanen- 24 yrs old- RFA- robust, speed and physical tools. 18 goals this shortened year. Change of scenery from his hometown is probably much needed. Big Reward for little risk

Gaudette- Centre, Right Shot, Ooozes offence. Needs work defensively. Playing behind Pettersson and Horvat. Former Hobey Baker Winer. Has a potential to be a 25/25 guys imo

Stecher- RFA- 26 yrs old Right underzied mobile right shot Dman. Probably best suited for #4-6 spot. High end motor and effort. Lacks offence and size. Good skater and puck mover. Muffin of a slapshot.

BAD CONTRACTS:

Loui Eriksson - 2more yrs. 6mil aav- 2.5 mil per year in actual money left owed.

Brandon Sutter- 3/4 C- Right shot. 1 more year at 4.3 mil AAV

Jay Beagle- 3/4 C .. stanley Cup veteran. 2 more years at 3mil aav

Antoinne Roussel- 30 yrs old- ultimate pest. can play on 3rd or 4th line. 2 more years at 3mil aav

Sven Baertschi- 27 yrs old. 1 more year 3.3 mil AAV. Can play top 6 or 9 role for non contender. skilled player

I wonder if there's a combination of sweetnet and bad contracts that can be made for a team to take on?

Side note: Benning has made it clear that he loves Demko and that he is the goalie of the future so im guessing a trade involving Demko would have to involve Eriksson AND blow them out of the water.
I think part of ther eason Markstrom isnt signed yet is the Canucks are playing hardball on term and insisting on notincluding a no movement caluse for Markstrom so that they can ensure they can protect Demko from Seattle.
Demko is the only worthy piece to take on a bad contract without picks. The other guys are solid bottom 6 pieces. JV could become top 6 but he’s on that Benoit Pouliot status from 2011-2014.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
So let's add Gaudette as a sweetener so we can trade Sutter, leaving Jay Beagle as our #3 center? Then let's sign Cody Eakin to a $4 million deal contract. Sounds like something Benning would do.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Actually can't wait to trade Demko in order to get some of Benning's bad contracts off the books so Benning can sign a 29 year old UFA to a 6 year high value contract with a NMC.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Benoit Pouliot status from 2011-2014.

what a terrible comparison. not even similar type of players.

edit - I wouldn't mind if he posted those numbers playing 12 minutes of ice time actually. not bad at all since he was projected to be a lot worst when he was drafted.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
he already said he's not adding sweetneers to move Ericksson although that was on Ericksson, either way I doubt he is going to add those players as sweetners. sportsnet650 just getting desperate.
He never said he won’t add a “sweetner”... what he said was he’s not interested in adding a 1st or 2nd round pick. Which leaves the door open to attach a player, prospect and/or 3rd + (perhaps it’s a combo of all the above or even Canucks take back salary to, which seems the most reasonable).

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Jake ain't much of a sweatner

When did a player who scored 18 goals playing bottom 6 minutes all of a sudden become chop liver...Virtanen is not living up to where he was drafted, a change of scenery is probably what the guy needs. Maybe he will get it after traded where he can get a fresh slate with the coaches.

Jake has never been used properly in Vancouver, but they don't gift players top 6 minutes if they don't put the effort in...Jake could be a decent complimentary top 6 forward but he can't be the guy on his own line like the Canucks have tried to do putting him in the bottom 6. Jake would be best utilized to have him hard on the forecheck using his speed to wreck havoc on the opposition D. For whatever reason he rarely does that and seems to play softer every season...What a waste of a #6 overall pick.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I wonder if, given Covid circumstances the Canucks can ask for relief on the recapture penalty? Especially since it seems like no other team had to pay one for their bad contract.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
For those griping about Virtanen... sure he might be a bit of work in progress but he will get you 20 goals (maybe even more). Middle 6 winger with speed that occasionally uses it. Is still a very worthwhile player in this league. In all honesty I change of scenery (away from home) will do this guy some good. Bugs me a little as I know once we trade him his value will instantly increase.

As for Gaudette, don’t use him as a C if you’re that worried. He too could be a solid winger and/or fill in at centre when need be. The guy can also score. Personally I hope the Canucks keep him but understand if he has to be used to rid ourselves of some horse $@!& contract, sadly!

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Its really annoying that we have to give up young talent like this all because Benning had to go and make some really dumb signings that made no sense at the time and we are paying for it now. Bennings only saving grace is that he has turned around our drafting success. Its stupid that we will be losing a young stud goalie that was lights out in the playoffs or a youngish power forward that had a solid season, giving up those assets for free just to dump a bad contract that shouldn’t have been given out in the first place is how you set the team back.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Does this mean you expect Markstrom to walk?
I think he does and it's probably for the best. He's a great goalie but he's on wrong side of 30 and will get big dollars from someone. We have Demko that has developed nicely and proved in playoffs he deserves a shot. He's more in line with our core age group as well. If we weren't in a cap pickle I could see keeping Markstrom but with the cap and looming expansion draft we should give way to Demko.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
When did a player who scored 18 goals playing bottom 6 minutes all of a sudden become chop liver...Virtanen is not living up to where he was drafted, a change of scenery is probably what the guy needs. Maybe he will get it after traded where he can get a fresh slate with the coaches.

Jake has never been used properly in Vancouver, but they don't gift players top 6 minutes if they don't put the effort in...Jake could be a decent complimentary top 6 forward but he can't be the guy on his own line like the Canucks have tried to do putting him in the bottom 6. Jake would be best utilized to have him hard on the forecheck using his speed to wreck havoc on the opposition D. For whatever reason he rarely does that and seems to play softer every season...What a waste of a #6 overall pick.

Lets ask NON canuck fans about Jake and whether or not ANYONE would have gotten those goals. Do not look at who assisted on the goals but who was ON THE ICE when he scored them--that tells an interesting story

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
What about a base of Demko / Eriksson for Ben Bishop? Dallas would probably need to add picks and/or prospects, but would allow for some certainty in goal if Markstrom walks? Assuming both players waive. Dallas would look to re-sign Dobby and run a platoon with Demko.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
What about a base of Demko / Eriksson for Ben Bishop? Dallas would probably need to add picks and/or prospects, but would allow for some certainty in goal if Markstrom walks? Assuming both players waive. Dallas would look to re-sign Dobby and run a platoon with Demko.

Nucks will let Markstrom walk, keep Demko and run a Demko/Dobby platoon themselves ;)

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Lets ask NON canuck fans about Jake and whether or not ANYONE would have gotten those goals. Do not look at who assisted on the goals but who was ON THE ICE when he scored them--that tells an interesting story

Dont forget to look at game winning goals or when he scored them...

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
What is Gaudette looking for on his next deal?
Gaudette will be on a 2-3 year bridge deal at 2-2.5 million I would assume. Of all the guys on this OP's list, I think Gaudette is the least likely to be dealt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad