Sportsnet: Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher - Available for Sweetners in Trade

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
According to Sportsnet 650 the Canucks have made the following players available for trade as additions or sweetners to be attched with bad contracts.

Apparently Benning isnt willing to add draft picks as sweetners right now to move some of the bad contracts.

Background:

Demko- Potential #1 Goalie, along with Bill Foley they both currently own the Vegas Golden Knights

Virtanen- 24 yrs old- RFA- robust, speed and physical tools. 18 goals this shortened year. Change of scenery from his hometown is probably much needed. Big Reward for little risk

Gaudette- Centre, Right Shot, Ooozes offence. Needs work defensively. Playing behind Pettersson and Horvat. Former Hobey Baker Winer. Has a potential to be a 25/25 guys imo

Stecher- RFA- 26 yrs old Right underzied mobile right shot Dman. Probably best suited for #4-6 spot. High end motor and effort. Lacks offence and size. Good skater and puck mover. Muffin of a slapshot.

BAD CONTRACTS:

Loui Eriksson - 2more yrs. 6mil aav- 2.5 mil per year in actual money left owed.

Brandon Sutter- 3/4 C- Right shot. 1 more year at 4.3 mil AAV

Jay Beagle- 3/4 C .. stanley Cup veteran. 2 more years at 3mil aav

Antoinne Roussel- 30 yrs old- ultimate pest. can play on 3rd or 4th line. 2 more years at 3mil aav

Sven Baertschi- 27 yrs old. 1 more year 3.3 mil AAV. Can play top 6 or 9 role for non contender. skilled player

I wonder if there's a combination of sweetnet and bad contracts that can be made for a team to take on?

Side note: Benning has made it clear that he loves Demko and that he is the goalie of the future so im guessing a trade involving Demko would have to involve Eriksson AND blow them out of the water.
I think part of ther eason Markstrom isnt signed yet is the Canucks are playing hardball on term and insisting on notincluding a no movement caluse for Markstrom so that they can ensure they can protect Demko from Seattle.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I could see Virtanen being a viable option for moving someone with 1 year of term remaining.
Me too. Virtanen isn’t fetching a 1st or a good prospect. Maybe a late 2. But in a package deal for a one year bad contract, sure I could see an Ottawa or Detroit try that. Return to Vancouver is a conditional 7th rounder. But it’s also available cap space.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
For the -$1million cap savings? Is this a real question?
I’m not saying it’s just those 2 for 1. That’s why I said around that.

leafs would want demko and roussel as a pest, and if you’re trading demko you’re signing markstrom and you can run Freddie - Markstrom for a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad