Sportsnet: Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher - Available for Sweetners in Trade

lawrence

May 19, 2012
No, what? Guadette has shown way more than Jost. Like its not even close to a comparable.

He’s just using this opportunity to dump on our players. Best way to avoid violation is to actually do it in a proposal thread. He gets to highlite how bad a player is on a team he hates.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Gaudette,Virtanen and Demko for your choice of Ritchie’s , Cam Hughes ( Quinn’s brother) and Tuukka Rask

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Other than demko there’s no one there with a sliver of interest for me and theres no way i take two years of eriksson for demko even with as good as he looked hes still a question mark . He doesnt want to but hes gonna have to cough up a 1st or bury the player in the minors

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I'm a Canuck homer, so there is a good chance my values are off, but here are a couple talking points.

1 - Sutter ($1.375 retained) to Avs for Future Considerations - Sutter's cap hit is $4.375 but actual dollars is $3.5
2 - Roussel to Montreal for Kulak - AR cap hit is $3, actual dollars is $2.5 and $1.9
3 - Virtanen + Baertschi to New Jersey for 2nd, 2021 (Maybe Wood instead of the pick, Beagle/Sutter also an option I see Devils were not good in the faceoff circle)
4 - Virtanen + Beagle to Detroit for 2nd
5 - Roussel or Beagle + 2021 2nd round pick to Anyone for a 3rd or 4th round pick (small retention potentially if no salary comes back to Van)
6 - Sutter to Edmonton for Chaisson
7 - Beagle to Edmonton for Chaisson
8 - Sutter or Beagle to Buffalo for 7th (small retention potentially if no salary comes back to Van).

Between buy outs and being able to bury $1.25 of a contract in the AHL, I can't see the Canucks willing to retain a lot for any 1 player. I have not included any Eriksson proposals because I think his deal is untradeable. I also don't want to see Demko moved. I think Vancouver is better to let Marky walk and use the cap space to improve other areas of the team. So all my proposals have this thought process in mind.
I agree if we can't afford one or any of our ufas then we can move on and not get caught up in this sell or sweeten at the expense of our young cost controlled players.
We can just sign ufa we can afford and keep our youth core.
We are not expected to be serious Stanley cup contenders next year so let's take our finger off the panic button and remember EP andQH will not start declining for at least a decade.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
We dont need to sweeten deals.

Sutter (1.375 retained) and Virtanen for futures

Let Tanev walk and were good to sign Markstrom Toffoli Gaudette and Stecher.

Let some kids play and re evaluate at the deadline.

31yr old held together with duck tape Tanev for 4 or 5 yrs. No thanks

and we could keep Virtanen instead of Leivo if a fair price in trade is not available. I just think they aren't interested in an arbitration case with Jake. I would keep him

Last edited:

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Demko could probably get Loui moved, Guadette could get Roussell moved and Sutter at 50% is a movable contract.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
@Forge

We could always see who plays best and flip the other for assets prior to the draft
We would never get much value for them because teams would know we have to leave one exposed. It makes no sense for us to target a valuable back-up or potential #1 goalie this year. Wait until after the expansion draft.

Reactions: Forge

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I know people always think Eriksson when Ottawa is brought up, but if I'm Dorion I'd be open to the idea of Baertschi + Virtanen/Gaudette/Stetcher for a pick.

Reactions: Levch

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why is Demko available? I thought he was a cornerstone of their future

can someone fill me in?

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
We would never get much value for them because teams would know we have to leave one exposed. It makes no sense for us to target a valuable back-up or potential #1 goalie this year. Wait until after the expansion draft.
I dont believe that because there's not 32 #1 goalies in the league perhaps 15 so not everyone has a starter they would protect over demko if they traded for him just prior to the expansion draft.
The extra year would give demko a chance to show hes for real and if a team wants a goalie they trade for them and don't hope for ED pressure to cheapen his value.
I would expect a horvat like return for him in a high draft choice at least.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I’m not saying it’s just those 2 for 1. That’s why I said around that.

leafs would want demko and roussel as a pest, and if you’re trading demko you’re signing markstrom and you can run Freddie - Markstrom for a season.
Van would be looking to shed salary, and a fair amount if Demko is going. Cap space isn’t something the leafs will be taking on so this isn’t going to go anywhere

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I dont believe that because there's not 32 #1 goalies in the league perhaps 15 so not everyone has a starter they would protect over demko if they traded for him just prior to the expansion draft.
The extra year would give demko a chance to show hes for real and if a team wants a goalie they trade for them and don't hope for ED pressure to cheapen his value.

The issue is if you have 2 good or better goalies you have to expose one to Seattle, trade the other goalie or pay Seattle to take someone else. If markstrom re-signs with Vancouver, that leaves Vancouver with a serious problem.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
It doesn't matter what you believe, it's reality. We would get lowballed or not get a full return because every single team knows that we'd lose one of Blackwood or Demko. If we didn't, we'd be paying a 1st to Seattle to not take one and that's something we're not in a position to do. There's no reason to go after Demko for us.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I think JB said he's not interested in adding sweeteners so I'll accept that will be the solution because not signing our 30 year old ufas and keeping our youth is an option.

Reactions: sting101

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
It's the off season and people are bored. However Benning is known for making some ass backward decisions no logical reason Demko should be a sweetener.

If the Canucks are willing to move Demko for a sweetener, which I doubt they are, it would say a lot about what they think of dipietro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad