Sportsnet: Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher - Available for Sweetners in Trade

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Trading Demko feels like it would be a big mistake.

I see markstrom walking than Vancouver somehow being able to convince him to take what they are offering. Vancouver needs cap space to have any chance to re-sign him. But Vancouver can not depend on him being great in an entire season. They need another good goalie if markstrom walks.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Brandon Sutter + Jordie Benn (50% retained) for Brendan Smith - NYR can use a C (I think?) and Smith looks utterly redundant.

Canucks immediately buy out Smith.

Canucks save $2.567M this year, lose 783k next year.

Rangers add just over 1M this year, sufficiently replace Smith and add an option at C.

Less/no retention on Benn is better of course.

Doesn't save Vancouver a *ton* of money but enough to re-sign an RFA like Stecher maybe.
With the comment about retention it appears you are a Canuck fan, with the proposal it comes across like you hate the Canucks.
1 - from a player perspective I would rather have Sutter and/or Benn than Smith
2 - the difference in cap hit between Smith and Sutter is $25000.00
3 - retaining on Benn when A. there's no need B. it adds additional cap to Vancouver - so retention on Benn is rediculous
4 - If the Canucks are buying out Smith, just buy out Sutter, it's a lower cap hit next year than the Smith buy out by $600k

Bad, bad, bad deal for the Canucks.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Trading Demko feels like it would be a big mistake.

I get the recency bias.

Demko was a monster vs Vegas and as much as I love Demko and think he can be a #1 goalie there is no gurantee.

He was mediocre during regular season when Markstrom went down.

One thing is for sure tho, if the Canucks go with Demko and walk away from Markstrom then their goaltending got worse for the immidiate futre. Demko is not as good as Markstrom today, probably not even close. Not to say he wont surpass him in a couple of years but thats still all potential.

Going with Demko and walking away from Markstrom can be the difference between giving the young core a chance for more playoff experience over the next two year or missing out on the playoffs completely. Thats how huge and good Markstrom has been for the Canucks over the last few years

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
okay listening to that Sportsnet 650 segment and it was just the person speculation that Vancouver could attach demko as part of a Eriksson trade in order to get Eriksson off the books. He suggest that Vancouver will more likely eat cap than offer a player as part of a sweetener

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I get the recency bias.

Demko was a monster vs Vegas and as much as I love Demko and think he can be a #1 goalie there is no gurantee.

He was mediocre during regular season when Markstrom went down.

One thing is for sure tho, if the Canucks go with Demko and walk away from Markstrom then their goaltending got worse for the immidiate futre. Demko is not as good as Markstrom today, probably not even close. Not to say he wont surpass him in a couple of years but thats still all potential.

Going with Demko and walking away from Markstrom can be the difference between giving the young core a chance for more playoff experience over the next two year or missing out on the playoffs completely. Thats how huge and good Markstrom has been for the Canucks over the last few years

Agreed. Vancouver needs to replace Markstrom if he walks. If they do then you risk losing one or the other to Seattle in next years expansion draft. I don't see Vancouver making the playoffs if they let markstrom walk and do nothing to actually replace him either via trades or via FA.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
With the comment about retention it appears you are a Canuck fan, with the proposal it comes across like you hate the Canucks.
1 - from a player perspective I would rather have Sutter and/or Benn than Smith
2 - the difference in cap hit between Smith and Sutter is $25000.00
3 - retaining on Benn when A. there's no need B. it adds additional cap to Vancouver - so retention on Benn is rediculous
4 - If the Canucks are buying out Smith, just buy out Sutter, it's a lower cap hit next year than the Smith buy out by $600k

Bad, bad, bad deal for the Canucks.

Retention on Benn probably isn't neccessary but the Rangers probably aren't inclined to just do Vancouver a favor, and despite moving Staal don't have a ton of cap room. If no/less retention, sure, sounds great. That's if the Rangers even would want Benn in this hypothetical trade.

Smith buyout costs less next year when EP/Hughes new deals are needed. Sutter saves more this year so you're definitely right on that one but it's a bit of a wash. Its 800k roughly more savings this year but 400k more owing next year. So yeah, maybe a straight up buyout of Sutter is better. But have to think about the cap next year too.

It's not the greatest move Vancouver could make to save cap, but it would save some. Ideally all of our problem contracts could be traded for no retention and no contracts coming back. Or Eriksson could walk away.

The problem isn't the players neccessarily. I'd agree that I'd rather have Sutter than Smith. Smith is not good.

But I'd much rather trade Sutter for cap room (as much as allowable) and have room to re-sign others such as Stecher, than have Sutter.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
No we wouldn't because we can't protect him and we'd have to pay Seattle to not take one of Demko/Blackwood.

No matter what happens if Vancouver keep markstrom and move demko or let Markstrom walk some other team is going to be stuck in a who to protect at goalie and who to expose or pay Seattle to not take such and such goalie. There are going to be 3 teams that will lose a goalie to Seattle.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Retention on Benn probably isn't neccessary but the Rangers probably aren't inclined to just do Vancouver a favor, and despite moving Staal don't have a ton of cap room. If no/less retention, sure, sounds great.

Smith buyout costs less next year when EP/Hughes new deals are needed. Sutter saves more this year so you're definitely right on that one but it's a bit of a wash. Its 800k roughly more savings this year but 400k more owing next year.

It's not the greatest move Vancouver could make to save cap, but it would save some. Ideally all of our problem contracts could be traded for no retention and no contracts coming back. Or Eriksson could walk away.

The problem isn't the players neccessarily. I'd agree that I'd rather have Sutter than Smith. Smith is not good.

But I'd much rather trade Sutter for cap room (as much as allowable) and have room to re-sign others such as Stecher, than have Sutter.
The combined buy-out for Sutter is $3.208 spread over 2 years ($2.041 and $1.167) the combined buy-out for Smith is $3.566 spread over 2 years ($2.783 and $783K) you don't trade a decent yet over paid C with another player (Benn) to get Smith and buy him out at a bigger cap hit overall. If that $384k difference in the Sutter and Smith buy-out next year is the difference between the Canucks re-signing Hughes and Petersson and not, we are in trouble. I also think Benn could get a small return on his own, but I would rather keep him as insurance.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
No matter what happens if Vancouver keep markstrom and move demko or let Markstrom walk some other team is going to be stuck in a who to protect at goalie and who to expose or pay Seattle to not take such and such goalie. There are going to be 3 teams that will lose a goalie to Seattle.
Yes, that is how expansion drafts work, I know. Thanks.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Virtanen 20 goals loads of untapped potential....

Stetcher 4-5 tweener and right hand shot...

What am I missing?
That Virtanen was also just a healthy scratch and pretty much irrelevant in the bubble. That his career arch is unimpressive.

that stretcher is a RFA that’s 26 and arbitration eligible. That cap space is fleeting league wide.

you missed those things. Hence, why you missed they are not particularly valuable. Unless trading one for a single mid round pick is considered “valuable”.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That Virtanen was also just a healthy scratch and pretty much irrelevant in the bubble. That his career arch is unimpressive.

that stretcher is a RFA that’s 26 and arbitration eligible. That cap space is fleeting league wide.

you missed those things. Hence, why you missed they are not particularly valuable. Unless trading one for a single mid round pick is considered “valuable”.

thats your opinion. This doesn’t mean other gms don’t see the value in virtanen. He lead our team in hits during the playoffs, fought hagg who nailed Petey from behind.

it’s sooooo easy to dump on a player as a armchair on hfboards. I can easily do the same for any 3rd line player or lower on any Canadian team who didn’t make it further then the Canucks. Either way if you or the (gm) that’s not interested in Jake he will simply not give benning a call.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I’d rather have the other rookie named Dipietro over Demko with a FA stop gap goalie for a year or two if Markstrom leaves.

I’m a Nicks fan too not just Bruins

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Demko value is fairly small since he’s proved nothing at this level.

Cory Schneider V2.0

which is a totally fair opinion, a lot of Canuck fans are aware of this and despite they most of them don’t want him traded even the ones that want markstrom back also wants to keep demko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad