Confirmed with Link: Del Zotto waived

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
You would think if there were anything in the world that could turn melynk against Dorion it would be sending 8-9 million a year to Bellville.

What good is saving a few hundred k on Dorion's salary if he saddles you with the most expensive AHL team in the league?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Trading MDZ if we have to give up any sort of pick is just a cheap move. You have to replace him, so hypothetically if it’s with a player making 1 mil, you’re giving up a pick to save 1 mil when you are nowhere near the cap and very unlikely to get any sort of upgrade.

You’re better off just playing him and hoping he turns into a decent #6, which really shouldn’t be a tall order.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
You’re better off just playing him and hoping he turns into a decent #6, which really shouldn’t be a tall order.

We're going to have to eat money. That means paying him to play in the AHL, sit in the pressbox in the NHL, buying him out, or retaining salary on a trade.

If the Sens try and throw in draft picks or other assets instead of spending their way out of this f***up then you know what the real objective is here, and it isn't making the team better.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Trading MDZ if we have to give up any sort of pick is just a cheap move. You have to replace him, so hypothetically if it’s with a player making 1 mil, you’re giving up a pick to save 1 mil when you are nowhere near the cap and very unlikely to get any sort of upgrade.

He's already been replaced, we called up JBD and Hetherington. Trading him at the point is to get a discontent player out of the locker room.

It's pretty much the opposite of cheep, we could keep him as our #8 and never ice him but instead we sent him to the AHL and are paying someone else to be #8 and him.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
He's already been replaced, we called up JBD and Hetherington. Trading him at the point is to get a discontent player out of the locker room.

It's pretty much the opposite of cheep, we could keep him as our #8 and never ice him but instead we sent him to the AHL and are paying someone else to be #8 and him.
Mik, is it a tad more complicated than that? Is the 23 man roster hard and fast? as in you cannot carry more unless you can prove injury, thus placing a player on the injury list.

If that is the case, you have no choice but to send him down and try another #7 in his place. I will assume a #8 is available only if a 1-7 is injured. Otherwise, with carrying 8 D, you risk having only 13 forwards with only 1 spare.

Unless they added roaster because of covid? Which is possible, You would know better. Is the roster limit not what did Murray in? you start carrying a 3rd Goalie and you are down to 1 spare at each group.

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
lmao taking on a bad contract for MDZ is just another bonehead move

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Just another blunder in Dorions book

8.25 mil in Belleville as a budget team. Like that's gotta get somebody fired

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I would rather take on another short bad contract than give up a prospect or a pick to get rid of him
If it means we can use that money elsewhere I rather give up a pick

the sens don’t really need a ton of picks we need a GM who is willing to bring in quality players instead of wasting money on trash

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Signing MDZ to a 2 year deal was a mistake. Signing him at all was probably a mistake.
The roster decisions until recently on D have been bad... His hype for Zaitsev continues to be bad.
For a good stretch of games MDZ could quite easlily have come in for Mete, Brown, Zaitsev for their replacement level play.
MDZ obviously sees that. Unhappy, he is waived because his play did not meet their too high expectations.

Now they will look to move him and it will cost us more to move him.

Dorion blames the player.

Reactions: Deku

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

the sens don’t really need a ton of picks we need a GM who is willing to bring in quality players instead of wasting money on trash
So where do you think that money is going to go? It’s just going to go to the next gudbranson or the next stepan or the next del zotto. Having to take back a bad contract sort of takes the decision out of Dorion and the pro scouts hands. It has to be player x with the bad contract. I like those odds better than Dorion and Co having their pick of vets in the offseason.

sure a new GM but that’s not happening right now so let’s discuss things in the context of our current sitch lol

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
So where do you think that money is going to go? It’s just going to go to the next gudbranson or the next stepan or the next del zotto. Having to take back a bad contract sort of takes the decision out of Dorion and the pro scouts hands. It has to be player x with the bad contract. I like those odds better than Dorion and Co having their pick of vets in the offseason.

sure a new GM but that’s not happening right now so let’s discuss things in the context of our current sitch lol
hence why i said 'quality' player

we don't need more trash taking up roster space. I don't think Dorion should be making anymore decisions

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would rather take on another short bad contract than give up a prospect or a pick to get rid of him
Why do they have to do either they are way below the cap. Who cares if it costs Melnyk money dont make anymore dumb hockey decisions like wasting assets to get rid of bad contracts.

This team needs everything, dont kid yourself. The wasting of assets is part of the reason why they are still so bad.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
You would think if there were anything in the world that could turn melynk against Dorion it would be sending 8-9 million a year to Bellville.

What good is saving a few hundred k on Dorion's salary if he saddles you with the most expensive AHL team in the league?

Melnyk: Pierre I'm getting old, spend what you want, just build me a winner this year.

Dorion: You got it boss.

*4 months later*

Melnyk: Damnit Pierre, I meant spend what you want to build a winner at the NHL level.

Dorion: Oh.

Reactions: Xspyrit

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's got 5 pts in 19 games and is getting 11 mins a night when in the lineup, least ES TOI of any reg player...
Isn’t that what you expect from a 4th line centre ? What are your expectations ?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
An org talking up a player shocking. Anisimov had a great training camp.

4th in forward ice time on the PK. On the 4th best unit in the league thus far.

This isn't just lip service. They are using him in defensive roles and having success.

But yeah I'll ignore that because the guy who said the Hall-Larsson trade was a win for the Oilers thinks he knows better.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
4th in forward ice time on the PK. On the 4th best unit in the league thus far.

This isn't just lip service. They are using him in defensive roles and having success.

But yeah I'll ignore that because the guy who said the Hall-Larsson trade was a win for the Oilers thinks he knows better.
First, the Sharks rotate 6 forwards on the PK all averaging around 1:30 per game with Couture and Cogliano just slightly higher and second, anyone who thinks being a penalty killer means that player must play a sound defensive game doesn’t understand the defensive aspects of the game. PK is starts and stops with an active stick, that’s it

Way to mischaracterize my take on Hall-Larsson. I said Edmonton got better by making the trade. Larsson helped the team far more than Hall did. Sure Edmonton should have held out for a pick or something but they certainly didn’t lose the trade.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Oh, is that what you expect from trading a second pick? Certainly not what Dorion expected.
Once a player is acquired I only care about how they can best be used. I complain about the trade and blame Dorion but it’s two separate issues.

We got a garbage return for Mark Stone but that doesn’t mean Brannstrom is garbage.

It’s ridiculous that we traded a 2nd for Atepan, but I was still hoping we would have got a good vet 4th liner.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Once a player is acquired I only care about how they can best be used. I complain about the trade and blame Dorion but it’s two separate issues.

We got a garbage return for Mark Stone but that doesn’t mean Brannstrom is garbage.

It’s ridiculous that we traded a 2nd for Atepan, but I was still hoping we would have got a good vet 4th liner.
So then you must have no issues with Tierney as he's provided as much or more than Stepan has this year. Decent vet 4th liner, I right?

The main issues with Stepan, and likely why the OP was so critical, was the role he was being played in, the salary/caphit, and what we gave up for him. Also, the fact that he didn't really provide much of anything a callup couldn't come close to or exceed.

So if your bar is set at he's a decent 12/13th forward once you've removed any context, sure I guess.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad