Confirmed with Link: Del Zotto waived

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We're going to have to eat money. That means paying him to play in the AHL, sit in the pressbox in the NHL, buying him out, or retaining salary on a trade.

If the Sens try and throw in draft picks or other assets instead of spending their way out of this f***up then you know what the real objective is here, and it isn't making the team better.

Yes. The real objective is to get rid of MDZ and his salary cost. Giving up a draft pick to do so is a low cost way to achieve that and does not make the team better.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes. The real objective is to get rid of MDZ and his salary cost. Giving up a draft pick to do so is a low cost way to achieve that and does not make the team better.
Why on earth do the sens need to spend assets to get rid of him when they are currently playing with a 48 million dollar payroll. Makes absolutely no sense. Most expensive possible cost in a redundant scenario.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why on earth do the sens need to spend assets to get rid of him when they are currently playing with a 48 million dollar payroll. Makes absolutely no sense.

To reduce salary costs and improve the bottom line is the only reason.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They don't spend cap space.
So why do you cas about Del Zottos 2 million?...They didn't spend Dadonovs money when they traded him...

In this scenario we're now in a season they can't make the playoffs. So you give up assets to get rid of him why? So you can spend more assets on another redundant player to pay 2 million?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
MDZ is fine spending the rest of the season in Belleville. If Dorion can trade him for something like a 3rd round pick, all the better. Until then, let's enjoy the luxury of being able to bury some crap contracts in the AHL for a little while. He's a sunk cost, but there's no need to sink further.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
MDZ is fine spending the rest of the season in Belleville. If Dorion can trade him for something like a 3rd round pick, all the better. Until then, let's enjoy the luxury of being able to bury some crap contracts in the AHL for a little while. He's a sunk cost, but there's no need to sink further.
I think you mean we trade MDZ WITH a 3rd rounder

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
So why do you cas about Del Zottos 2 million?...They didn't spend Dadonovs money when they traded him...

In this scenario we're now in a season they can't make the playoffs. So you give up assets to get rid of him why? So you can spend more assets on another redundant player to pay 2 million?

I don’t think Cosmix cares, the Sens do though. Garrioch reported they would be looking to move him and mentioned giving up a pick as a possibility.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
how stupid would the sens look trading a pick with MDZ right after he signs here

The sens just keep shooting themselves in the foot. Dadanov is already traded, Murray is in the minors and now MDZ is in the minors. If players already didn't want to come here they sens sure aren't helping themselves

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So then you must have no issues with Tierney as he's provided as much or more than Stepan has this year. Decent vet 4th liner, I right?

The main issues with Stepan, and likely why the OP was so critical, was the role he was being played in, the salary/caphit, and what we gave up for him. Also, the fact that he didn't really provide much of anything a callup couldn't come close to or exceed.

So if your bar is set at he's a decent 12/13th forward once you've removed any context, sure I guess.
I have no issues with Tierney this year. Placeholder who is gone after this season. The players I have problems with have term, make way more than their value or generally suck.

1. Murray
2. Zaitsev
3. Del Zotto
4. White

I don’t care about any pending FA as this is another lost season.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
how stupid would the sens look trading a pick with MDZ right after he signs here

The sens just keep shooting themselves in the foot. Dadanov is already traded, Murray is in the minors and now MDZ is in the minors. If players already didn't want to come here they sens sure aren't helping themselves

That's what happens when you have emotionally immature people at the helm

Reactions: HSF

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think Cosmix cares, the Sens do though. Garrioch reported they would be looking to move him and mentioned giving up a pick as a possibility.
Why this is deemed acceptable is beyond me. This is the type of thing the media should be going no holds barred after the organization. Its one thing to give out a bad contract, its another to sewer the future to get rid of it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

That's what happens when you have emotionally immature people at the helm

There seems to be a double standard here, if the vets are not playing up to their expected potential the fans are screaming to get them out of there. Finally the org responds & sends the vets through waivers & down into the minors for not playing better & the media & fans turn on the org for treating the players poorly.

If the NHL would have had a taxi squad again this yr then those guys could have sat in the press box, but if they want them to somehow improve & play again, they need to play to improve their play. Not sure what the answer is, damned if you do & damned if you don't. Definitely on the GM who brought them here in the first place & whoever helped him with that decision.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
There seems to be a double standard here, if the vets are not playing up to their expected potential the fans are screaming to get them out of there. Finally the org responds & sends the vets through waivers & down into the minors for not playing better & the media & fans turn on the org for treating the players poorly.

If the NHL would have had a taxi squad again this yr then those guys could have sat in the press box, but if they want them to somehow improve & play again, they need to play to improve their play. Not sure what the answer is, damned if you do & damned if you don't. Definitely on the GM who brought them here in the first place & whoever helped him with that decision.

I'm of 2 minds on this. I'm glad they're willing to admit their mistakes early and move on, on the other hand MDZ was what he was when they signed him. He's the kind of player you bring in on a camp invite (i know he had other offers, in that case just move on to the next target). The pro scouting got them in trouble again

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Is 10 games enough to determine someone is so bad they can’t be a part of your top 8? I’m sure they did this because MDZ wasn’t happy with his playing time, but there’s a legit argument too that maybe the Sens should be more patient. He seemed to be serviceable in Columbus.

It’s just bad optics. We can’t attract FAs as it is and everytime we do it ends badly.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is 10 games enough to determine someone is so bad they can’t be a part of your top 8? I’m sure they did this because MDZ wasn’t happy with his playing time, but there’s a legit argument too that maybe the Sens should be more patient. He seemed to be serviceable in Columbus.

It’s just bad optics. We can’t attract FAs as it is and everytime we do it ends badly.
Agreed, it may not be all his fault playing on a team that has been pretty bad defensively for the last two yrs. Every team has a guy on defence that is slow & not that great. Luke Schenn is still in the league for God's sake & they are able to give these guys just enough minutes to not hurt the team. With Ottawa we have too many weak defencemen & sometimes they end up playing more than they should & stuck in situations they can't handle.

Again, it goes back to the GM & the number of players he has brought in that have not helped & there are too many for the team to hide. It might not be all their fault, IMO there are just too many of them on the team at one time for them to be successful. They need more better players than the six or seven AHL players that were in the lineup so often this yr. I think they are slowly getting there, but it has been a slow & painful to watch.

Reactions: PlayOn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

They need to not sign trash players

that is what it comes down to. If you are signing MDZ for 2 years you are telling me he is a 3rd pairing guy on your team who you are committed to for atleast a year and a half

The problem is everyone could see that the sens have a young player in Brannstrom who is almost ready for prime time in the nhl. It just doesn't make sense. I mean MDZ is probably okay as a bottom pairing guy but once Sanderson and bran come in this year he is kinda just there. Now that we are out of it and the fans are demanding that young guys play the sens have no option but to move him down

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't see a double standard. Del Zotto was signed and expected to be something he wasn't. Murray was signed when he was trying to revamp his style .. he made some improvements last year and didn't get the results this year. In both cases they were sent down as reactions to their inability to live up to expectations. Some might reasonably say the expectations were too high or unrealistic. I tend to be less critical of the player in these cases because they are what they are.. Belleville might do Murray some good because he has more time to work with a goalie coach he's worked with before. Maybe he can find his game but I don't know why the same could not be accomplished staying with the team in Ottawa. Del Zotto is never going to be what he was expected to be and was signed to be.

Dorion / Pro Scouting misidentified Del Zotto to be a top 4 D. Further Dorion signed him to a 2 year deal with that expectation. That's on him , no one else.. and not on the player.

Murray is still in the progress of trying to find his game. This was known when he was signed. What he was signed to $ and term is on Dorion. Him not bouncing back to Stanley cup form as quickly as Dorion expected is also on Dorion and not the player.

When players do not perform ... fans are critical of their play. Look at Colin White. A serviceable player..Can play C or RW. An upgrade on most of the bottom 6 if not all of it, and how many lineups is he penciled in for next year? Some fans want him gone in favor of let's say Sokolov.. Is that a double standard? I don't think so just fans being fans.

The biggest issues are the dead weight Dorion is bringing in. If those were decent vets .. there would be less complaints.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'm not sure it's a double standard, the outcry with Murray was about how the demotion was handled not that they demoted him, and with MDZ it's media commenting on whether it will impact future UFA signings. I don't think many complained about how Dadonov was handled for example, because from the outside looking in, the perception is he was treated respectfully even though things didn't work out.

Maybe I'm wrong, truth be told I haven't really been following how people and media have reacted to MDZ being demoted.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They need to not sign trash players

that is what it comes down to. If you are signing MDZ for 2 years you are telling me he is a 3rd pairing guy on your team who you are committed to for atleast a year and a half

The problem is everyone could see that the sens have a young player in Brannstrom who is almost ready for prime time in the nhl. It just doesn't make sense. I mean MDZ is probably okay as a bottom pairing guy but once Sanderson and bran come in this year he is kinda just there. Now that we are out of it and the fans are demanding that young guys play the sens have no option but to move him down
Again this comes down to the GM & whoever is making these decisions to bring in these players. Maybe the pro scouting, maybe the owner has some say or maybe they can't get better players to come here to a bottom of the league team.

I'm not sure that Brann is NHL ready, defencemen have to play defensively a lot more often than they do to carry it out. I'm not sure he is up to playing good defensively for long periods of time over the long haul of a season. I have a different opinion on him than most, I prefer Sanderson, Thomson, JBD & Heatherington, I think they can take the physical play for a longer time.

UFAs that sign here seem to be looking for one last contract or are not good enough to get a contract elsewhere. It's easy to say sign better players, but maybe they are trying & they can't find the right guys yet to come here. Even in trades there are probably plenty of guys who don't have Ottawa on their destination lists or teams want too much for the players Ottawa wants. We don't know really what the situation is, but I think we are all quite sure that money has something to do with it. Money could be too tight to mention.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see a double standard. Del Zotto was signed and expected to be something he wasn't. Murray was signed when he was trying to revamp his style .. he made some improvements last year and didn't get the results this year. In both cases they were sent down as reactions to their inability to live up to expectations. Some might reasonably say the expectations were too high or unrealistic. I tend to be less critical of the player in these cases because they are what they are.. Belleville might do Murray some good because he has more time to work with a goalie coach he's worked with before. Maybe he can find his game but I don't know why the same could not be accomplished staying with the team in Ottawa. Del Zotto is never going to be what he was expected to be and was signed to be.

Dorion / Pro Scouting misidentified Del Zotto to be a top 4 D. Further Dorion signed him to a 2 year deal with that expectation. That's on him , no one else.. and not on the player.

Murray is still in the progress of trying to find his game. This was known when he was signed. What he was signed to $ and term is on Dorion. Him not bouncing back to Stanley cup form as quickly as Dorion expected is also on Dorion and not the player.

When players do not perform ... fans are critical of their play. Look at Colin White. A serviceable player..Can play C or RW. An upgrade on most of the bottom 6 if not all of it, and how many lineups is he penciled in for next year? Some fans want him gone in favor of let's say Sokolov.. Is that a double standard? I don't think so just fans being fans.

The biggest issues are the dead weight Dorion is bringing in. If those were decent vets .. there would be less complaints.

I agree with you, what I meant by a double standard is that fans complained about the vets playing poorly & then they complained about them being waived & sent to the AHL. I also agree that most of this or all of it is on Dorion & from our perspective without any inside information on how it was handled internally. And whoever made the call that these were the guys to target in the off season also did a piss poor job. Although maybe the list of UFA defencemen who wanted to come here was not that long. Easy to say to get better players, but what we don't know is what it will cost to bring them here?

I'm not sure it's a double standard, the outcry with Murray was about how the demotion was handled not that they demoted him, and with MDZ it's media commenting on whether it will impact future UFA signings. I don't think many complained about how Dadonov was handled for example, because from the outside looking in, the perception is he was treated respectfully even though things didn't work out.

Maybe I'm wrong, truth be told I haven't really been following how people and media have reacted to MDZ being demoted.

Well Dadonov was traded & they got a return from it while these two were clearly & publicly demoted. As I said above this is all on Dorion & whoever made the decision to go after these players made a huge mistake in hindsight. How the situation was handled is more difficult since we don't really know what was said internally by who to who. I think there was more talk regarding how Murray was handled than MDZ too.

The other thing that keeps gnawing at me is which UFA defencemen were available that actually wanted to come here & maybe that list was not very long. Maybe the only way to get MDZ to come here was to offer a 2 yr deal, but clearly they thought he had more to give than he has shown. Dadonov looks better with a better team than he did here, maybe with a better team MDZ might not look as bad either.

That might have a lot to do with this as well that the team as a whole has been worse than they thought it would be especially the defence & goaltending again. Sometimes they look great as they did on Saturday & other times nothing seems to work & everything ends up in the back of the net. Not sure what the answer is except patience for the future which can't come fast enough.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why this is deemed acceptable is beyond me. This is the type of thing the media should be going no holds barred after the organization. Its one thing to give out a bad contract, its another to sewer the future to get rid of it.
Welcome to our poorly managed cheap ass team.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It seems to me that Murray and Del Zotto were sent down for different reasons.

Dorion obviously realized last year he made a mistake on Murray and prayed he would be taken in the expansion draft or on waivers. Since he didn’t get claimed they are now hoping he finds his game because it’s in the teams best interest with the money invested.

it seems apparent Del Zotto was sent down due to the incidents on social media. There is no finding his game and being a healthy scratch here would be fine, other than his teammates are probably pissed at him. What he did goes against everything a supportive teammate should do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad