Confirmed with Link: Del Zotto waived

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Mendes said yesterday that basically it was extremely uncommon for a team to sign a guy to more than one year, over 1 million range, and waive him 10 games into his contract with 6 points. I would have to agree. Maybe there is more to it.

Reactions: Yak

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Mendes said yesterday that basically it was extremely uncommon for a team to sign a guy to more than one year, over 1 million range, and waive him 10 games into his contract with 6 points. I would have to agree. Maybe there is more to it.

I mean, if they decided ‘f*** it, from now that on all the kids are getting a chance to play on D, then so be it. If there was a request for a trade, which makes sense, maybe they didn’t want the distraction around the team, and maybe they want to give the guy a shot at some game time so that he can actually be traded if someone picks up the phone.

Definitely a 180, but hey, kids are playing, and the D looks pretty decent right now. Branstrom will be back as well and get a nice long look as well.

It has to suck for these vets to find themselves to e odd guys out, but at least they’re getting well compensated to ride the bus, and the team messaging to the media has been positive on both players. Hopefully a new home can be found.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean, if they decided ‘f*** it, from now that on all the kids are getting a chance to play on D, then so be it. If there was a request for a trade, which makes sense, maybe they didn’t want the distraction around the team, and maybe they want to give the guy a shot at some game time so that he can actually be traded if someone picks up the phone.

Definitely a 180, but hey, kids are playing, and the D looks pretty decent right now. Branstrom will be back as well and get a nice long look as well.

It has to suck for these vets to find themselves to e odd guys out, but at least they’re getting well compensated to ride the bus, and the team messaging to the media has been positive on both players. Hopefully a new home can be found.
I mean, Heatherington isn't a kid really, certainly not a long term piece. We could have easily sent him down and not created this bizzare situation.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I mean, Heatherington isn't a kid really, certainly not a long term piece. We could have easily sent him down and not created this bizzare situation.

Exactly, which is why it’s bizzare. I think the know that Heatherington can come in and out of the line up as they prepare JBD for a stretch of games, maybe they felt that MDZ wasn’t the guy to do that.

Maybe stuff was said, who knows, but you’re absolutely right, MDZ could have filled that role, if he was willing, or the team was willing.

Having said that, people have been riding MDZ when he plays, and no one has really said much about Heatherington, so maybe he’s been better than MDZ?

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Exactly, which is why it’s bizzare. I think the know that Heatherington can come in and out of the line up as they prepare JBD for a stretch of games, maybe they felt that MDZ wasn’t the guy to do that.

Maybe stuff was said, who knows, but you’re absolutely right, MDZ could have filled that role, if he was willing, or the team was willing.

Having said that, people have been riding MDZ when he plays, and no one has really said much about Heatherington, so maybe he’s been better than MDZ?

Heatherington has had the benefit of coming in when we're playing a bit better and in a role he's suited to (bottom pair, 13 mins).

MDZ was used in a bigger role, sometimes top 4, getting 17+ mins.

Is Heatherington better, idk, but he certainly is better suited for the role he was asked to play than MDZ was for the role he was playing.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Gonna go with piss poor attitude as a large reason as to why MDZ isn't here.

It struck me as odd when he mentioned on overdrive that he was working on his real estate license during the covid shutdown. I’d get it in his last year but a bit odd when the team was on such a poor stretch.

At least don’t mention it publicly.

I’m surprised you’re ok with this direction, I thought you were on the “the NHL isn’t a development league” wagon.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It struck me as odd when he mentioned on overdrive that he was working on his real estate license during the covid shutdown. I’d get it in his last year but a bit odd when the team was on such a poor stretch.

At least don’t mention it publicly.

I’m surprised you’re ok with this direction, I thought you were on the “the NHL isn’t a development league” wagon.

I think development, and development league are two different things.

Personally I think that there are skills that you hone in the NHL and some that you have to learn elsewhere otherwise you get overly exposed.

The kids we bring in to get playing time in the NHL have all paid dues or have star powered skills already. We haven’t been bringing in guys who aren’t read and kept them up to learn, in fact we have done the opposite to a degree that some find upsetting.

COVID gave some guys opportunity, and I suspect given the positive returns on Lassi coming up and Stu at centre, along with a lot of losses, kind of changed the focus to seeing why each kids has for a small stretch. They will get a chance to show what they have, learn a bit from being around pros, and then further develop back in the AHL with more ammunition to use.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
No one is defending MDZ's attitude. What if his attitude was so bad and knowing we are stuck with him PD decided to use a temporary demotion as a way to get him to fall in line. There could be every intent of bringing him back up after a message is sent. MDZ and the SENS are stuck with each other, maybe he needed to be reminded of that in order to smarten up and park his attitude. Just a theory.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
No one is defending MDZ's attitude. What if his attitude was so bad and knowing we are stuck with him PD decided to use a temporary demotion as a way to get him to fall in line. There could be every intent of bringing him back up after a message is sent. MDZ and the SENS are stuck with each other, maybe he needed to be reminded of that in order to smarten up and park his attitude. Just a theory.

Good theory

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Just another horrible signing from Dorion

Shame. 8.25 mil in the minors babyy

Still gotta buy out White and move Tierney too, another useless 9 mil

Reactions: DJB

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Screenshot_20220210-174440.png

Ad