LeBrun: DeBrincat will most likely be traded, agent has submitted list of preferred destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Pagnotta was on the NHL Network a couple days back and said there are two legit trade offers on the table for Debrincat. It would be funny if Cat is where Lou draws the line when it comes to long-ass contracts.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Pagnotta was on the NHL Network a couple days back and said there are two legit trade offers on the table for Debrincat. It would be funny if Cat is where Lou draws the line when it comes to long-ass contracts.
For Lou i'd imagine its more the caphit rather than term given how little cap space they have left

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
\

Oh I can totally see it. Fully guaranteed millions in a sport with injuries galore...

But if it's his goal to maximize income, going for shorter terms would maximize that no?
John Klingberg turned down a long term contract offered by the Dallas Stars and where has that led him? To signing 1 year contracts because no team is willing to commit to him with a long term deal.

They can gamble and hopefully win big or possibly lose big too. Any signs of perceived decline or a big injury is all it takes to destroy a player's value.

Reactions: Laphroaig

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
John Klingberg turned down a long term contract offered by the Dallas Stars and where has that led him? To signing 1 year contracts because no team is willing to commit to him with a long term deal.

They can gamble and hopefully win big or possibly lose big too. Any signs of perceived decline or a big injury is all it takes to destroy a player's value.
Klindgnerg signed that contract with Anaheim but played like utter shit. 7mil for dog crap. That's why he didn't a multi year contract.

Reactions: DatsDeking

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't think it's that - Yzerman doesn't seem to be a fan of 8 year deals. He negotiated with Larkin for half a season before giving in on it.
I never got the sense that term was an issue there as much as trying to arrive at a good cap hit. I don’t think term will be an issue with Seider either. He just doesn’t hand out that term to non-core pieces.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The Sens traded A+B+C assets for Chychrun, swapped Motte for Julien Gauthier & a 7th, and traded a 6th for Patrick Brown. Politely, what the f*** are you talking about?
Trading your 1st rdp, 2nd rdp, and 2nd rdp next year, with a Debrincat trade in the summer was going for it and trying to make the playoffs.

I guess I don't know what the "F" you are talking about back. Traded what? 5 picks at a TDL plus a summer move for Debrincat. An... it's ok to miss the playoffs cause... Senators weren't trying hard to make it? Idk I disagree. '22-23 off-season from the draft on Ottawa purged themselves of multiple picks in an attempt to make a playoff roster.

I'd be pissed if my GM traded away 2 1st round picks and 3 2nd round picks, plus other moves, to only get a WCW/WWF moment with the Red Wings bench. lol.

Ottawa tried to make the playoffs and failed. Red Wings sold at the TDL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Trading your 1st rdp, 2nd rdp, and 2nd rdp next year, with a Debrincat trade in the summer was going for it and trying to make the playoffs.

I guess I don't know what the "F" you are talking about back. Traded what? 5 picks at a TDL plus a summer move for Debrincat. An... it's ok to miss the playoffs cause... Senators weren't trying hard to make it? Idk I disagree. '22-23 off-season from the draft on Ottawa purged themselves of multiple picks in an attempt to make a playoff roster.

I'd be pissed if my GM traded away 2 1st round picks and 3 2nd round picks, plus other moves, to only get a WCW/WWF moment with the Red Wings bench. lol.

Ottawa tried to make the playoffs and failed. Red Wings sold at the TDL.
Sens traded picks for a 24 year old top pair D signed for another few years.

Traded away Tyler Motte, the better player, for a younger reclamation project (that they let walk), and a pick.

They traded a 6th rounder for Brown in a questionable trade.

They really gave up absolutely nothing at the deadline for a playoff push. They traded a pretty good package for a signed 24 year old though.

DBC trade, as dumb as it was, was also done with the plan of signing long term.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Sens traded picks for a 24 year old top pair D signed for another few years.

Traded away Tyler Motte, the better player, for a younger reclamation project (that they let walk), and a pick.

They traded a 6th rounder for Brown in a questionable trade.

They really gave up absolutely nothing at the deadline for a playoff push. They traded a pretty good package for a signed 24 year old though.

DBC trade, as dumb as it was, was also done with the plan of signing long term
Your break down doesn't suggest Ottawa wasn't trying to make the playoffs.

The trades themselves good bad, or in-different isn't relative to this particular argument. It's just the one poster basically said he doesn't see how Ottawa tried hard and I see it differently, Clearly, they tried. (IMO). Senators have moved all their top picks for players in this draft, the previous draft and next draft. Idk how you can say they're not trying hard to make the playoffs when a team's giving up assets like that.

I didn't even think it was hyperbolic to suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Your break down doesn't suggest Ottawa wasn't trying to make the playoffs.

The trades themselves good bad, or in-different isn't relative to this particular argument. It's just the one poster basically said he doesn't see how Ottawa tried hard and I see it differently, Clearly, they tried. (IMO).
But they never tried hard to make the playoffs at the deadline…

They were trying to trade for Chychrun for the past year and a half, they were finally able to make it happen, in a trade that was not meant for playoff push whatsoever at the deadline.

They Turned a 6th and Motte into Gauthier
Brown and a 7th, they were the only moves made at the deadline that weren’t made with the next 2+ seasons in mind. Absolutely, and completely, nothing moves that did nothing to signify going for a playoff run and giving up assets to do so. If you think that’s trying hard to make the playoffs, no clue what to say.

Chychrun wasn’t’t a trade made for a playoff run last season, it was a trade for a 24 year old on a great contract with years remaining.

Debrincat was likely a move made to contend now, and it wasn’t a smart trade, but calling that a deadline move makes zero sense, as he was traded nearly a year before the deadline. Framing the Sens as being buyers at the deadline is, frankly, plain wrong.

Are they trying hard for the playoffs in the coming years? Absolutely. That’s what the Chychrun trade was for.

Is our GM good with trades and giving away picks? Absolutely not.

Were they making a push to make the playoffs at the deadline last year? Absolutely not, the guys they traded for weren’t even in the lineup most nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensatauro

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
But they never tried hard to make the playoffs at the deadline…

They were trying to trade for Chychrun for the past year and a half, they were finally able to make it happen, in a trade that was not meant for playoff push whatsoever at the deadline.

They Turned a 6th and Motte into Gauthier
Brown and a 7th, they were the only moves made at the deadline that weren’t made with the next 2+ seasons in mind. Absolutely, and completely, nothing moves that did nothing to signify going for a playoff run and giving up assets to do so. If you think that’s trying hard to make the playoffs, no clue what to say.

Chychrun wasn’t’t a trade made for a playoff run last season, it was a trade for a 24 year old on a great contract with years remaining.

Debrincat was likely a move made to contend now, and it wasn’t a smart trade, but calling that a deadline move makes zero sense, as he was traded nearly a year before the deadline. Framing the Sens as being buyers at the deadline is, frankly, plain wrong.
Ha... Ok... fine. Agree to disagree.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Could the DeBrincat trade be held up because his new club is trying to negotiate a new contract for him before acquiring?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
This is exactly how you know the islanders aren’t involved. Lou never has an issue overpaying.

The islanders being mentioned at all is a leverage play. The thing is, ADB wants to be in Detroit, knowing that does hurt Ottawas leverage so they needed to try and capture some of it back and they are doing so by threatening that someone like Lou who will give out crazy ass contracts.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The trades themselves good bad, or in-different isn't relative to this particular argument. It's just the one poster basically said he doesn't see how Ottawa tried hard and I see it differently, Clearly, they tried. (IMO). Senators have moved all their top picks for players in this draft, the previous draft and next draft. Idk how you can say they're not trying hard to make the playoffs when a team's giving up assets like that.

They didn't give up those assets.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: Random Comment

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
That Dylan Strome Instagram update probably means nothing but.. then again his next destination still could be once rumored Washington.
- he updated his instagram account photo (though he changed it back later today, relatively quickly after it was reported in some site)

dylalex.jpg

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If the news from "sources" is to believed, I suppose the relevant question is whether Debrincat would sign an extension with the Isles? From the little we know based on what is being reported, it seems he will sign an extension if he's going to Detroit, and then it's just guessing and speculation regarding the other teams.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Klindgnerg signed that contract with Anaheim but played like utter shit. 7mil for dog crap. That's why he didn't a multi year contract.
Exactly the point. He should have signed with Dallas long term and he would be enjoying another 6 years of a big payday.

The funniest thing in all of this is the almost complete lack of League interest in Debrincat.
It's called lack of cap space and the uncertainty around DBC's contract. Not lack of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad