Dreger: DeAngelo Trade could happen Between 24/48 Hours (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Exactly. Rangers owe DeAngelo <5M if they buy him out. I do not see them being in a hurry to hamstring themselves with a bad contract, or retain too much just to give Tony an NHL opportunity.

My guess - Rangers retain and gain some asset (pick/prospect) back.
Or they take a so-so priced contract back.

Not many teams could add his full cap hit. It’s not insane to imagine the Rangers taking a tough one year contract back at like 4-5M or a smaller contract for two years back. They want this story over.

Reactions: bernmeister

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
So why would a team now give up assets for him if they could have claimed him on waivers? I don't really understand.
Right now, his cap hit of 4.8M is too high for what he gives you on the ice. It was a deal signed by a rebuilding team hoping that his defense could round out and he could develop into a core player. He scored a zillion points on a hot powerplay so the number was the number. The Rangers have a hilarious amount of money going to guys they bought out this year anyway, they're not supposed to be a contender.

If the Rangers are retaining half the salary he's a decent asset, assuming you don't have a good PMD and you can keep him from going crazy. I don't think he deals with adversity well. On a winning team, with an established group, where he doesn't matter that much he can do fine.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nurse was his captain, it’s a bit of a different power dynamic. IMO anyway.

If the guy is a racist asshole as many paint him out to be, I doubt that would've stopped him from showing at least part of that side to Nurse. Ultimately I think that it's a decision that the team and management should make. Nurse is part of the leadership core and is tight with Connor and Leon. None of our players would put up with racist BS IMO.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Right now, his cap hit of 4.8M is too high for what he gives you on the ice. It was a deal signed by a rebuilding team hoping that his defense could round out and he could develop into a core player. He scored a zillion points on a hot powerplay so the number was the number. The Rangers have a hilarious amount of money going to guys they bought out this year anyway, they're not supposed to be a contender.

If the Rangers are retaining half the salary he's a decent asset, assuming you don't have a good PMD and you can keep him from going crazy. I don't think he deals with adversity well. On a winning team, with an established group, where he doesn't matter that much he can do fine.

Alright gotcha. I assumed retention would be coming into play.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think its safe to rule out detroit as a destination. yzerman wanted nothing to do with him in TB and he certainly won't want to deal with that headache now

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So why would a team now give up assets for him if they could have claimed him on waivers? I don't really understand.

Either the Rangers would eat a portion of the contract (or include a pick) and/or the team would send back a bad contract back the other way. Most teams didn't have the cap space to outright claim DeAngelo anyways. Essentially think of it like "I won't take him unless you take (insert junky player's bad contract here)."

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
The Sens are so desperate for help on the blueline, I can see them making a move for the guy.

But I'd worry a lot about his influence in that locker room.

Yeah I can see it as well. At least his buyout wouldn’t hurt us at all

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If the guy is a racist asshole as many paint him out to be, I doubt that would've stopped him from showing at least part of that side to Nurse. Ultimately I think that it's a decision that the team and management should make. Nurse is part of the leadership core and is tight with Connor and Leon. None of our players would put up with racist BS IMO.

"racist" c'mon man

Reactions: Turin

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Any team myopic enough to trade for this loser deserves every bit of scorn they're going to get. Not to mention the fractured lockerroom, the inevitable pink slips and so on.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Edmonton lol. Him with McDrai would torch the league only to end up as -10 during the year with no playoffs.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I think Ottawa or Detroit is where he goes. Both have cap room for him and are rebuilding so may be willing to deal with his bs and take time to work with him on it.

Both teams could use another puck-moving D
Both could have claimed him outright. I think NY could get a pick back from a contender with retention.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No they dont. They can just keep him and buy him out after the season at a very reasonable price, or at the very least take back a player on an expensive but expiring contract.

Ok then do that.

I doubt any teams are going to trading for the guy without a little extra something seeing as nobody would take him off waivers.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hoping he gets traded to Winnipeg. As an American who's spent the better part of 4 years living in New York City he would just hate Winnipeg. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Reactions: DutchNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad