Dreger: DeAngelo Trade could happen Between 24/48 Hours (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Rangers are not interesting in retaining back salary, what incentive do teams have now to trade for DeAngelo when they could have had him for free from waivers.

Look, it's really very simple. These are the Rangers options:

Option A: Trade ADA
Option B: Send ADA home and buy him out in the summer

The buyout is very cheap because ADA is only 25.

upload_2021-2-4_17-46-10.png

So if option A isn't at least as good as option B, option A isn't happening.

Get it? The Ranger will take equal cap for this year. What they won't do is take significant cap for any year beyond this one.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Derek Ryan might make sense. It’s weird having a three million dollar cap hit on the taxi squad. I can’t see the Flames giving up much more than just Bennett for DeAngelo given his reputation and image around the league though. Sure he can put up points but he’s been struggling and makes for bad pr...especially for a Canadian hockey club with Canadian media pressure.

The Canadian media would tear DeAngelo apart from the get-go...and I honestly doubt that he'd want to play here...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not trying to have it both ways and I've already stated that what DeAngelo got suspended for back then wasn't socially acceptable in that environment and he should've known better.

Movies don't define what is and isn't socially acceptable, but it is a reflection of the times. The person I was quoting said that because that was was used in movies then did not make it more appropriate in real life, which I disagree with. I didn't say it was appropriate to use back then, but more appropriate then versus now? Absolutely.

Not sure why you're bringing the professional environment into this conversation either, as I clearly stated the context (among friends) in which it was used in the movie and said it was more appropriate to use in real life back then "in a similar context" or did you miss that part?

I think it's quite the oversimplification to believe that movies are a reflection of the times. It's entertainment and often times movies push envelopes in storytelling because the times don't reflect the movies and their stories.

I think the entire conversation about movies and real life is a rhetoric misdirection. It's irrelevant to the topic. The topic is Deangelo using slurs then. It wasn't acceptable then. It doesn't matter if it is or isn't acceptable outside of that context because that's the only context that is topically relevant to this thread.

In 1968 was it socially acceptable to suspend a guitarist and singer if he did not appropriately lip-sync the televised song?

Don't know. Don't care. It's irrelevant to the thread.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Canadian media would tear DeAngelo apart from the get-go...and I honestly doubt that he'd want to play here...
It didn't tear him apart when he played in Sarnia and it hasn't torn him apart at any point since then. His attitude issues are mainly when he's on the ice from what's been seen throughout his development. We're not talking about a Sean Avery-level of a problem here.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Lots and lots of players have been divisive and problems in the locker room. It's not exactly rare. But if they're really good at hockey, they still always find a team. I'm certain it will be the same for DeAngelo.

DeAngelo's level of divisive is kind of rare though. I think it's more like his teams unite against him.

I can't see him having much value, even if NYR eats half his contract. Maybe some group of vets can keep him in line, but any young team looking at him is asking for a locker room catastrophe. He just can't help himself.

Reactions: Chips

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think it's quite the oversimplification to believe that movies are a reflection of the times. It's entertainment and often times movies push envelopes in storytelling because the times don't reflect the movies and their stories.

I think the entire conversation about movies and real life is a rhetoric misdirection. It's irrelevant to the topic. The topic is Deangelo using slurs then. It wasn't acceptable then. It doesn't matter if it is or isn't acceptable outside of that context because that's the only context that is topically relevant to this thread.

Don't know. Don't care. It's irrelevant to the thread.

Im surprised you don’t know with that username.

Reactions: bernmeister

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It didn't tear him apart when he played in Sarnia and it hasn't torn him apart at any point since then. His attitude issues are mainly when he's on the ice from what's been seen throughout his development. We're not talking about a Sean Avery-level of a problem here.

?? It seems like it's beyond a Sean Avery problem, IMO. The guy is 25 and has been exiled from 3 locker rooms.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
DeAngelo's level of divisive is kind of rare though. I think it's more like his teams unite against him.

I can't see him having much value, even if NYR eats half his contract. Maybe some group of vets can keep him in line, but any young team looking at him is asking for a locker room catastrophe. He just can't help himself.
You would think there are locker room problems but some key players actually defended him. And our goalie is benched for his role in the altercation as well. More about problems with authority - refs and management.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You would think there are locker room problems but some key players actually defended him. And our goalie is benched for his role in the altercation as well. More about problems with authority - refs and management.

Players play the PR game. I think the fact that DeAngelo is going to be out of the locker room speaks louder than anything the players might say.

You don't waive a 60 point defenseman unless there's a major effing issue.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
?? It seems like it's beyond a Sean Avery problem, IMO. The guy is 25 and has been exiled from 3 locker rooms.
He was exiled from Arizona? Have you seen the trade he was involved in? He was a valuable part of that trade that acquired two highly valuable players from New York.

Avery was exiled from Dallas because Mike Modano told Dave Tippett he didn't want him on the Dallas Stars. Avery said one of the dumbest things a professional athlete has ever said to the media. What has DeAngelo ever done publicly?

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK27

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He was exiled from Arizona? Have you seen the trade he was involved in? He was a valuable part of that trade that acquired to valuable players from New York.

Avery was exiled from Dallas because Mike Modano told Dave Tippett he didn't want him on the Dallas Stars. Avery said one of the dumbest things a professional athletes has ever said to the media. What has DeAngelo ever done publicly?

"publicly"

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He was exiled from Arizona? Have you seen the trade he was involved in? He was a valuable part of that trade that acquired to valuable players from New York.

Avery was exiled from Dallas because Mike Modano told Dave Tippett he didn't want him on the Dallas Stars. Avery said one of the dumbest things a professional athlete has ever said to the media. What has DeAngelo ever done publicly?

Players can be taught how to talk to the media; can DeAngelo be taught not to be a douchebag to teammates and authority figures (management/refs) or is the problem his personality?...how many leopards can change their spots and all that...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Yes, publicly. We're talking about how the media would 'tear him apart'.

You are aware of how Politically Correct our Canadian media has become over the past few years, aren't you??...I'm not at all saying that I agree with ALL the PC stuff, just pointing out the fact that it's happened and DeAngelo would be their "perfect" whipping boy...

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Players can be taught how to talk to the media; can DeAngelo be taught not to be a douchebag to teammates and authority figures (management/refs) or is the problem his personality?...how many leopards can change their spots and all that...
I’d guess from similar experience he’s got some legit deep down emotional issue causing anger/authority/blaming other people to not look inward problems

Any team adds him might be wise to issue and ultimatum...

A) play right away and don’t see a therapist, and we’ll keep you on a short leash. One controversy, and you’re done on this team.

B) play right away and see a therapist, and we’ll cut you some slack if you mess up once, since you can’t fix an issue overnight. As long as you're trying.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Do you sincerely believe the answer to this question is no?

Just look at the NY Rangers right now and you can probably see why an outspoken, hyper-competitive young player might be a locker room problem. Where's the veteran leadership group in New York? You lose Lundqvist, you lose Staal and you come into this season with a super young group. There isn't a voice in that locker room that's going to dwarf his.

ADA comes in off of a career season offensively and it's clear right off of the bar that he's going to lose his job. I'm assuming there's a ton of frustration there. Especially when the team is struggling.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You are aware of how Politically Correct our Canadian media has become over the past few years, aren't you??...I'm not at all saying that I agree with ALL the PC stuff, just pointing out the fact that it's happened and DeAngelo would be their "perfect" whipping boy...
I haven't seen the Canadian media make any athlete their 'whipping boy' in recent history for any reasons, including political correctness. I'm not even sure what political correctness has to do with ADA since he's being banished from the Rangers' locker room because of his attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad