Dreger: DeAngelo Trade could happen Between 24/48 Hours (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Bennett for DeAngelo would be weird because it's the first name a lot of us came up with, and you'd think teams would want to get their trades done quickly with all the quarantine/border stuff. Work on a trade for a week, then wait two more weeks to finally get the guy? But I guess guys like Oliver Kylington and Julien Gauthier could fit needs on the other team, and the retention stuff is complicated.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Other players in OHL, around same time, under same policy, were suspended for calling a woman a c-word, and another instance for calling an opponent a p-word. I have heard a number of people say the 2014 incident was repeated use of a slur towards people of Italian decent.

Other than that, it seems like speculation. But I'm glad you are here to fill us in more on the details about what happened.
So someone of Italian descent using a slur describing someone of Italian descent. We can pretty much guess what he said.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Bennett for DeAngelo would be weird because it's the first name a lot of us came up with, and you'd think teams would want to get their trades done quickly with all the quarantine/border stuff. Work on a trade for a week, then wait two more weeks to finally get the guy? But I guess guys like Oliver Kylington and Julien Gauthier could fit needs on the other team, and the retention stuff is complicated.
I’d say, if that trade happens, the hold up is likely squabbling over retention dollars

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I can just hear the 'conversation' within a team's office suite now:

GM: Hmmm - DeAngelo is available.

Everyone else: NO!!

End of conversation.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Absolutely false. I know 7 years may not sound like much, but a LOT has changed in that time regarding what is or isn't socially acceptable. That's not to say that whatever DeAngelo said back then was OK, but you have to acknowledge things were different then and certain phrases did not receive nearly as much backlash.

These were already mentioned earlier, but in 2009 there's a scene in The Hangover where someone says "Paging Dr. F****t". In 2010, Bill Burr's comedy album had a track titled "What are you, a f**?". 2010 was also a year when 30 Rock ran an episode on broadcast TV with a white person in blackface, which was just removed online a few months ago. Can you please let me know when these actions from a decade ago (which would never be allowed today) suddenly became unacceptable? Was there a point in time or was it a slow evolution?
if they didn't receive nearly as much backlash as you claim, then why did his own team bypass the league and suspend him on their own? instead of giving him the minimum # of games suspended for violating that league policy (5) why did they give him 8? clearly what he said was bad enough to warrant those actions, even in 2014

and this is real life, not a movie. just because the f word was used in movies a decade ago, it doesn't mean it was more appropriate to use in real life

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
really hoping deangelo gets the wade redden treatment because no one would touch him.

he's not good enough that it's a shame to waste his talent in the minors.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
So someone of Italian descent using a slur describing someone of Italian descent. We can pretty much guess what he said.

We don't know the details. We know he was suspended 8 games for breaking OHL's harassment, abuse and diversity policy. Two others that year were suspended 15 games under same policy for privately using c-word towards women on Tinder. So it sounds like a broad policy.

Reactions: kingpest19

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
In b4 locked. He wasn’t even born back in the days, so what does this has to do with anything? Also as much as I want him to be traded for just anything, I can’t see anyone, not even Ottawa, trading for him.

You don’t think he listened to Eminem when he was growing up? Because he used it up until a few years ago.

Reactions: HBK27

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbh the Rangers should just bury his ass in the AHL and buy him out after the year. But at the same point, I understand why they wouldn't want to risk causing discord with their AHL team by sending a malcontent man-child to their AHL team.

If the option is to take a terrible contract or have DeAngelo rot in the AHL, I'm not sure which one is better. I still think something like Maatta for DeAngelo makes sense, though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I’d say, if that trade happens, the hold up is likely squabbling over retention dollars
Flames currently have $1.65M in cap space. Add Bennett's $2.55M to that gives you $4.2M in cap space. DeAngelo has a salary cap hit of $4.8M. I would think that Treliving would want NYR to retain at least $1M of DeAngelo's salary. They can afford it.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
if they didn't receive nearly as much backlash as you claim, then why did his own team bypass the league and suspend him on their own? instead of giving him the minimum # of games suspended for violating that league policy (5) why did they give him 8? clearly what he said was bad enough to warrant those actions, even in 2014

and this is real life, not a movie. just because the f word was used in movies a decade ago, it doesn't mean it was more appropriate to use in real life

If it was appropriate enough to put in the movie as a reflection of how friends treated each other, than I'd say it was probably also more appropriate to use in real life back then as well in a similar context. Doesn't mean it was appropriate for DeAngelo to use in the way or environment that he did, thus the suspension. He certainly should've known that considering by then he was already in his 3rd season with the Sting.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

looking forward to the answer to this

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Flames currently have $1.65M in cap space. Add Bennett's $2.55M to that gives you $4.2M in cap space. DeAngelo has a salary cap hit of $4.8M. I would think that Treliving would want NYR to retain at least $1M of DeAngelo's salary. They can afford it.
Yeah... I was thinking in the 25-30 % range

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Can we all try to list one or more of the 4-5 supposed teams that are believed destinations, and focus on what trades with those clubs might looks like?
Either smaller just Deangelo or a package?

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
We don't know the details. We know he was suspended 8 games for breaking OHL's harassment, abuse and diversity policy. Two others that year were suspended 15 games under same policy for privately using c-word towards women on Tinder. So it sounds like a broad policy.
If it's true that's what he said, it's not any different than any other teenager trying to be edgy among people of the same race. It would bring a lot more context to what his dad was saying in that interview. And judging from the other suspensions, you would have to think that if he had used a racial slur towards someone else, the suspension would have been much longer

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
How does it ? He a piece of trash . He is racist , disrespectful and a headache for any team . The Oilers for all their faults have never seen skin colour when drafting or signing players . They have also been will to give people/players 2nd chances . ADA has been giving many chances so he doesn't qualify as a 2nd chance . Also if there this much heat on him in NY in a small market like Edmonton there would be riots . Edmonton also has 3 players of colour . Bear , Khaira and Nurse so why would they want him ?
:laugh: well, alright.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
giphy.gif

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
DeAngelo may be an a**hole and PR nightmare, but if BT got him for a lowly Sam Bennett, wow lol. SB is a good bottom 6er. Dime a dozen who I would even like on a bottom 6. That's it.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Who cares about that. He might be, he might not be, but what's not arguable is that he's a trash human being, he's a Grade-A asshole and should play in Russia or in another league.

You shouldn't want this guy anywhere near your team if you have a bit of decency and respect for your team
Dude, you have Michel Therrien as your user picture, one of the most scumbag coaches in NHL history.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If it was appropriate enough to put in the movie as a reflection of how friends treated each other, than I'd say it was probably also more appropriate to use in real life back then as well in a similar context. Doesn't mean it was appropriate for DeAngelo to use in the way or environment that he did, thus the suspension. He certainly should've known that considering by then he was already in his 3rd season with the Sting.

This is merely rationalizing trying to have it both ways. The fact is that it wasn't socially acceptable then because it got him suspended and it would get him suspended now. Movies are not the defining element for what is and isn't socially acceptable. In no professional environment in 2014 as it is now in 2021 was that sort of stuff socially acceptable. Yes, there was a shift in this but it happened earlier than that.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This is merely rationalizing trying to have it both ways. The fact is that it wasn't socially acceptable then because it got him suspended and it would get him suspended now. Movies are not the defining element for what is and isn't socially acceptable. In no professional environment in 2014 as it is now in 2021 was that sort of stuff socially acceptable. Yes, there was a shift in this but it happened earlier than that.

I'm not trying to have it both ways and I've already stated that what DeAngelo got suspended for back then wasn't socially acceptable in that environment and he should've known better.

Movies don't define what is and isn't socially acceptable, but it is a reflection of the times. The person I was quoting said that because that was was used in movies then did not make it more appropriate in real life, which I disagree with. I didn't say it was appropriate to use back then, but more appropriate then versus now? Absolutely.

Not sure why you're bringing the professional environment into this conversation either, as I clearly stated the context (among friends) in which it was used in the movie and said it was more appropriate to use in real life back then "in a similar context" or did you miss that part?

Reactions: blindpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad