Dreger: DeAngelo Trade could happen Between 24/48 Hours (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I can't speak for calgary, anaheim, and detroit fans.

Hell no from this kings fan. The kings are at 47/50 contracts and have the cap space to have claimed him outright on waivers. I would like to think that this points to the kings not being one of the teams interested in him.

The kings already have Lias Andersson on the team who was a teammate of DeAngelo. One ranger reclamation project is enough. I don't even know how they got along.

I was going to say something about Matt Tkachuk in Calgary being an asshole and thereby the Flames working on cornering the market on assholes, but you know what - everything I've heard about Tkachuk points to him being a stand up human being off the ice and an all around good dude if he's not playing hockey against your favourite team. DeAngelo is... not. Not even close.

No team's fans should be excited to get this guy if they end up trading for him.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

Hell no from this kings fan. The kings are at 47/50 contracts and have the cap space to have claimed him outright on waivers. I would like to think that this points to the kings not being one of the teams interested in him.

The kings already have Lias Andersson on the team who was a teammate of DeAngelo. One ranger reclamation project is enough. I don't even know how they got along.

oh for f*cks sake please don't let it be anaheim. this team has enough issues as it is

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...what incentive do teams have now to trade for DeAngelo when they could have had him for free from waivers.
in flat Cap world, unilaterally adding almost $5M Cap Hit creates challenges

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I hope his off to the KHL!

What a mess of a post. Way to completely butcher the formatting options on this site. How about you clean that up a bit and not try to add your own comments into someone's post that you are quoting or at least use the quote options to break it up.

Reactions: Kendo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The fact that the Rangers aren't willing to retain salary and are already threatening to buy him out makes me think that no one is seriously interested in him, beyond a swap of bad contracts.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Whoever gets Tony, is going to be thrilled. He is not a teachers pet... Big deal. You win cups with heart... and he has loads of it! I hope he thrives wherever he ends up. Dubas should be licking his chops.

What did he ever win?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Whoever gets Tony, is going to be thrilled. He is not a teachers pet... Big deal. You win cups with heart... and he has loads of it! I hope he thrives wherever he ends up. Dubas should be licking his chops.
A team wins cups from everyone buying in to the system and playing as a unit.
A team doesn't win cups with a malcontent on the team who tries to fight his teammates

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I'm kinda surprised Calgary is one of the potential teams.

Not from a hockey perspective, but everything else.

A franchise whose greatest player of all time is Jarome Iginla seems like an odd fit for a player with Deangelo's history.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
In 1968 was it socially acceptable to suspend a guitarist and singer if he did not appropriately lip-sync the televised song?

..what?

I guess I don’t understand why we are suddenly talking about what was right and wrong in the 60s.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

A franchise whose greatest player of all time is Jarome Iginla seems like an odd fit for a player with Deangelo's history.
Not to mention we just had the whole Bill Peters fiasco. Seems unwise to willingly go down a similar route such as that again.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

ummm... a team that with Kneeordano and RatBoy. DeAngelo would fit perfectly.

Edmonton is the one with a long history of Black players - Fuhr, Anson Carter, Georges Laraque, Mike Grier and two others I've long forgotten Sean Brown and Joaquin Gage. And now Darnell Nurse and Caleb Jones. Iginla is also from Edmonton :)

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Buying out his contract at the end of the season will leave the Rangers with $883k of dead space for the following two seasons, which is very manageable.

While I do think that the Rangers would probably be willing to retain some salary, it probably doesn't make much sense to be retaining more than 30%. Equally, if they go the route of getting an ugly contract then it can't extend beyond this season as just buying ADA out at the end of the season would be better than an ugly contract on the books for 21/22.

It's not like they are completely over a barrel here.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
If Rangers are not interesting in retaining back salary, what incentive do teams have now to trade for DeAngelo when they could have had him for free from waivers.

Rangers have the buyout option, which isn't too expensive, so there isn't enough pressure for them to force them into taking bad contracts or retaining DeAngelo's salary. As you pointed out, it's also clear that the 8 teams that could potentially absorb DeAngelo's cap hit and take him without giving up any assets, passed on that option.

Where does it leave us? I would say in a place where the assessment of this thread's title is most likely not much more than a hype job by DeAngelo's agent. Hopefully Dreger got somehow compensated for his contribution to that campaign.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
DeAngelo for Bennett and?
Derek Ryan might make sense. It’s weird having a three million dollar cap hit on the taxi squad. I can’t see the Flames giving up much more than just Bennett for DeAngelo given his reputation and image around the league though. Sure he can put up points but he’s been struggling and makes for bad pr...especially for a Canadian hockey club with Canadian media pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad