Dreger: DeAngelo Trade could happen Between 24/48 Hours (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
I very very curious to see what will be the return if he’s traded. I understand that NYR aren’t interested in taking back a very bad contract. It should be a good indication of how much concerns his behaviour raise because as far as I’m concerned, his offensive skills are a sought after commodity in this league, no matter his defensive shortcomings (which can be managed).

If he isn’t traded, I’ll take it as a proof that he’s too toxic to touch (no matter the reasons).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm talking about people who cover the OHL at a local level, you don't follow the OHL so you have to rely solely on the public statement. People around the league know, it's a not particularly well kept secret, but you personally haven't heard about it and that makes you the expert lol. New Jersey people are really touchy abou Tony's behaviour. I'm sure he appreciates you white knighting in defense of his honor.

Uh huh, so why don't you fill the rest of us in then since you seem to know what happened? Or why haven't the many other fans on this forum that follow the OHL spilled the beans yet? What's the hold up?

And again, you just can't help yourself with trying to insult others. I'm sure you're a model citizen.

Reactions: blindpass

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
it was either racial or homophobic

is one better than the other?
This is turning into one weird ass reverse Schrödinger's Cat situation where you "can't prove" he said a specific slur, so therefore he said neither and is a perfectly innocent victim in this whole situation.

Of course, that's all beside the point. He didn't get waived because he said dumb shit back in juniors, he got waived because the Rangers decided that the play he brings on the ice isn't worth the headache he causes off the ice.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This is turning into one weird ass reverse Schrödinger's Cat situation where you "can't prove" he said a specific slur, so therefore he said neither and is a perfectly innocent victim in this whole situation.

Of course, that's all beside the point. He didn't get waived because he said dumb shit back in juniors, he got waived because the Rangers decided that the play he brings on the ice isn't worth the headache he causes off the ice.

Absolutely no one has made that claim in this thread.

Mar 12, 2009
Uh huh, so why don't you fill the rest of us in then since you seem to know what happened? Or why haven't the many other fans on this forum that follow the OHL spilled the beans yet? What's the hold up?

And again, you just can't help yourself with trying to insult others. I'm sure you're a model citizen.
people have mentioned it many, many times already throughout the various ADA threads lol. You either ignore them or call them liars or say "uhhh ackshully that not what the official statement said, it just said slurrr". Anyway keep forcing your terminally-online cancel culture obsession into the topic.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Can you provide a few examples of this in the thread?

Reactions: blindpass and HBK27

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
aw damn I don't have a recording of what happened. I guess I'll just throw away these multiple suspensions for slurs, video of his father saying it's just how he was raised, the multiple times he was kicked off+benched by his NHL team, and reporting that he mistreated his teammates.

*dumps pile of evidence into trash*

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Teammates fighting happens. Doug MacLean told on Real Kyper at Noon yesterday that his captain started to fight with a teammate in the parking garage. Coaches and players fight sometimes.
Player fights happen way more than people think. Bortozzo and Sanford got in a fight when the Blues were slumping in 18/19, and they went on to win a Cup together.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Teammates fighting happens. Doug MacLean told on Real Kyper at Noon yesterday that his captain started to fight with a teammate in the parking garage. Coaches and players fight sometimes.
If you look at the event in isolation, sure. But taken all together it reeks of maturity and professionalism issues.

I know players get in scraps sometimes when things get heated in practice, but who the hell fights their own goalie?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
The buyout window closed October 8th. DeAneglo signed his current contract Oct 15th. A buyout is not an option this year. It would only be for 2021-22 season.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If you look at the event in isolation, sure. But taken all together it reeks of maturity and professionalism issues.

I know players get in scraps sometimes when things get heated in practice, but who the hell fights their own goalie?
Well to be fair it was actually the goalie who started the physical altercation...

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
it was either racial or homophobic

is one better than the other?

No, but inaccurate, slander or assuming labels, isn't better either. I think the point people are trying to make is stop tossing out labels without factual evidence, rather than 1 is better than the other. It's not better in either scenario. It's fine to say DeAngelo had a history of saying inappropriate slurs, whether racist or homophobic, and you're very skeptical if he's moved past that, or if DeAngelo is still the immature, potentially uneducated/bigot, hot-headed, same idiot today. You don't have to believe DeAngelo has changed. You can form your own speculation on what was said. Nobody is claiming what actually happened is better depending on which slur - Racial or Homophobic was used.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Winged Angel

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Is the NYR playing around or Brisson throw a smokescreen to Dreger?

I guess the calculation in all of this is

How much do you want Deangelo and for what cost

If Rangers endgame is buyout at 1/3. Other teams won't entertain a trade unless Rangers include 1/3 monetary compensation as part of the deal

Nobody was willing to take DeAngelo via waivers. So nobody wants to pay him his full salary.

Meanwhile DeAngelo is praying he gets to keep all of his money/hasn't played his last game in the nhl

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Lol at those who defend that guy lol

Does your team suck that much that you would be willing to take on a dude who's an asshole enough to be at his 4th team already?
Guy got kicked out everywhere he's been.

"Bu but show me the proof that he's a racist or I don't believe you!!1"

Who cares about that. He might be, he might not be, but what's not arguable is that he's a trash human being, he's a Grade-A asshole and should play in Russia or in another league.

You shouldn't want this guy anywhere near your team if you have a bit of decency and respect for your team

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is the NYR playing around or Brisson throw a smokescreen to Dreger?

I guess the calculation in all of this is

How much do you want Deangelo and for what cost

If Rangers endgame is buyout at 1/3. Other teams won't entertain a trade unless Rangers include 1/3 monetary compensation as part of the deal

Nobody was willing to take DeAngelo via waivers. So nobody wants to pay him his full salary.

Meanwhile DeAngelo is praying he gets to keep all of his money/hasn't played his last game in the nhl

I'm sure the Rangers won't mind taking back cap up to 4.8 mil, as long it is for this year only. Any cap for next year would need to be minimal, and I don't see them entertaining the idea of taking on any player who has 3+ years left on their contract. So basically, if the player has 2 years at 1.4 mil or less, it's probably okay. If he has 1 year left at 4.8 or less, it's probably okay. Anything else, probably not.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I'm sure the Rangers won't mind taking back cap up to 4.8 mil, as long it is for this year only. Any cap for next year would need to be minimal, and I don't see them entertaining the idea of taking on any player who has 3+ years left on their contract. So basically, if the player has 2 years at 1.4 mil or less, it's probably okay. If he has 1 year left at 4.8 or less, it's probably okay. Anything else, probably not.

Agreed. Unless the other team attaches interesting prospects/picks

Sometimes teams like this type of trade situation. Because they can get rid of a poor contract and mainly see DeAngelo as a contract transaction

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Lol at those who defend that guy lol

Does your team suck that much that you would be willing to take on a dude who's an asshole enough to be at his 4th team already?
Guy got kicked out everywhere he's been.

"Bu but show me the proof that he's a racist or I don't believe you!!1"

Who cares about that. He might be, he might not be, but what's not arguable is that he's a trash human being, he's a Grade-A asshole and should play in Russia or in another league.

You shouldn't want this guy anywhere near your team if you have a bit of decency and respect for your team

I am not too familiar with has transpired...why isn't the bolded arguable?

Reactions: HBK27

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think what is the most realistic is a one-for-one trade, such as PK Subban/Jeff Skinner/Kyle Okposo/Milan Lucic for Anthony DeAngelo. Think the Subban one is best considering the Rangers could just get him exposed in the expansion draft.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I'm talking about people who cover the OHL at a local level, you don't follow the OHL so you have to rely solely on the public statement. People around the league know, it's a not particularly well kept secret, but you personally haven't heard about it and that makes you the expert lol. New Jersey people are really touchy abou Tony's behaviour. I'm sure he appreciates you white knighting in defense of his honor.

Other players in OHL, around same time, under same policy, were suspended for calling a woman a c-word, and another instance for calling an opponent a p-word. I have heard a number of people say the 2014 incident was repeated use of a slur towards people of Italian decent.

Other than that, it seems like speculation. But I'm glad you are here to fill us in more on the details about what happened.

Reactions: HBK27 and wacko2
Mar 12, 2009
Other players in OHL, around same time, under same policy, were suspended for calling a woman a c-word, and another instance for calling an opponent a p-word. I have heard a number of people say the 2014 incident was repeated use of a slur towards people of Italian decent.

Other than that, it seems like speculation. But I'm glad you are here to fill us in more on the details about what happened.

I've heard several people say it was a racial slur who followed the league at the time, this is the first I'm hearing it being an Italian slur...thank you for providing different speculation to "fill" everyone in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad