Dreger: DeAngelo Trade could happen Between 24/48 Hours (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I find it funny that this guy said something stupid (maybe racist) during his junior years and he is regarded as a racist piece of.... whereas Montrezl Harrell "insulted" ( not really IMO but you get the point) Luka just during one of the biggest social crisis in USA and nobody gives a damn, everything is forgotten.
LOL.

Anyway if my team wasnt competitive this year i would hope they tried it out. the contract is so low risk and you can just buy him out if he causes issues.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
If it's true that's what he said, it's not any different than any other teenager trying to be edgy among people of the same race. It would bring a lot more context to what his dad was saying in that interview. And judging from the other suspensions, you would have to think that if he had used a racial slur towards someone else, the suspension would have been much longer

I don't know if it was an anti-Italian slur or not.

In same year and under same policy, two people got 15 games for using c-word in private textual conversations with women. Another player got 5 games for calling an opponent a p-word on the ice. DeAngelo got 8 games (in his 2nd infraction) for using an unknown remark against a teammate on the ice. Not sure there is a definitive conclusion to be drawn here.

(And it was an OHL suspension, not a team suspension. But it was his team that turned him into league).

It didn't appear to hurt his draft stock with Central Scouting or with NHL scouts, all who surely knew what was said. He was drafted ahead of his January consensus ranking (~#28). Bob McKenzie had him at #26 in January and at #31 in June. He was taken at #19. (His suspension was in February of his draft year).

And the father's video is gross, but son shouldn't held accountable for that.

People really have stretched some facts on this one. It appears more like a case of a hothead who can't keep his emotions in check. Clearly for the Rangers, that was enough. Possibly for TB and Arizona too.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Whoever gets Tony, is going to be thrilled. He is not a teachers pet... Big deal. You win cups with heart... and he has loads of it! I hope he thrives wherever he ends up. Dubas should be licking his chops.

Reactions: wacko2

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I feel like if your players are going to riot over a trade you're going to make, that should be a clear sign to you to not make that trade :laugh:
I like the "Could make the game worse than it will be". As if they're already expecting a bad game.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I feel like if your players are going to riot over a trade you're going to make, that should be a clear sign to you to not make that trade :laugh:
I think it's about short-term timing, the more time his friends on the team have time to digest the trade, the less likely it effects on-ice performance.

Announcing it just hours before puck drop could make some of his teammates lose some focus, especially early in the game.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Tony in calgary would be interesting. You cant deny that they could use a guy with his skills

Adding a player with that type of baggage goes against everything this organization stands for. I would be utterly shocked to see it happen - despite the on ice fit.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Adding a player with that type of baggage goes against everything this organization stands for. I would be utterly shocked to see it happen - despite the on ice fit.
Id say its a lot more likely than somewhere like California. Even the most casual Anahiem fans will explode, whereas Calgary fans likely wont care as much. I know the whole Peters thing but his coaching also sucked and the pressure was mostly external as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Id say its a lot more likely than somewhere like California. Even the most casual Anahiem fans will explode, whereas Calgary fans likely wont care as much. I know the whole Peters thing but his coaching also sucked and the pressure was mostly external as well.
The national Canadian media outside of hockey will rip them apart, he'd be much more hidden in Orange County playing for the Ducks.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is merely rationalizing trying to have it both ways. The fact is that it wasn't socially acceptable then because it got him suspended and it would get him suspended now. Movies are not the defining element for what is and isn't socially acceptable. In no professional environment in 2014 as it is now in 2021 was that sort of stuff socially acceptable. Yes, there was a shift in this but it happened earlier than that.

In 1968 was it socially acceptable to suspend a guitarist and singer if he did not appropriately lip-sync the televised song?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Whoever gets Tony, is going to be thrilled. He is not a teachers pet... Big deal. You win cups with heart... and he has loads of it! I hope he thrives wherever he ends up. Dubas should be licking his chops.
I’m sure all 6 of the OHL/NHL he has been/will be on will collectively agree with this lol

He’s only 25 though, only been an adult for 7 years of mistakes.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

Were the Panthers one of the team Bob Mac said? That makes the most sense for me controversy wise , tho not sure they want him with Yandle.

Is Yandle a left D at least?

Reactions: themelkman

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
“This idea of purity and you’re never compromised and you’re always politically ‘woke’ and all that stuff. You should get over that quickly. The world is messy; there are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting may love their kids, and share certain things with you. I do get a sense sometimes now among certain young people, and this is accelerated by social media, there is this sense sometimes of: ‘The way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people,’ and that’s enough. Like, if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn’t do something right or used the wrong verb, then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself, cause, ‘Man, you see how woke I was, I called you out.’ That’s not activism. That’s not bringing about change. If all you’re doing is casting stones, you’re probably not going to get that far. That’s easy to do.”

- Reasonable person in 2019

"We have seen our discourse degraded by casual cruelty. At times, it can seem like the forces pulling us apart are stronger than the forces binding us together. Argument turns too easily into animosity. Disagreement escalates into dehumanization. Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions.”

- Another reasonable person in 2017

Sure. I don't think any/most people will disagree with that. But it's also not justification for complete absence of judgement and a free pass to act like a toxic jerk. Too many apologists treat is as such and that's where it gets a little absurd. This isn't a situation where there is one incident with this guy, or one or two off-colored remarks. This has been going on for years where multiple consequences never seemed to get through to him. And that's why the people here defending him or pointing the finger at others who do criticize him look particularly strange and ineloquent. It rightfully looks bad and questions of intentions become absolutely fair game.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterT

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Were the Panthers one of the team Bob Mac said? That makes the most sense for me controversy wise , tho not sure they want him with Yandle.

Is Yandle a left D at least?

Panthers have already been trying to trade Yandle

They already threatened to scratch him & ruin his NHL record ironman streak if he doesn't alloww more teams on his NTC

Yandle to Rangers for DeAngelo would be the obvious choice, Yandle has already been there

Reactions: themelkman

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Panthers have already been trying to trade Yandle

They already threatened to scratch him & ruin his NHL record ironman streak if he doesn't alloww more teams on his NTC

Yandle to Rangers for DeAngelo would be the obvious choice, Yandle has already been there

How many headaches do the Panthers want in one dressing room??...

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015

I can't speak for calgary, anaheim, and detroit fans.

Hell no from this kings fan. The kings are at 47/50 contracts and have the cap space to have claimed him outright on waivers. I would like to think that this points to the kings not being one of the teams interested in him.

The kings already have Lias Andersson on the team who was a teammate of DeAngelo. One ranger reclamation project is enough. I don't even know how they got along.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yes, he was suspended for violating the OHL's "harrassment, abuse and diversity policy". I see that you underlined and bolded the "diversity" part of the policy name, as if to indicate that any infractions must be diversity-related. That is not the case. While any diversity-related offenses would fall under the umbrella of this policy, it does not mean that if you violated it that is was due to diversity-related issues (thus the harrassment and abuse parts of the policy name). The OHL said as part of the suspension that DeAngelo "did in fact make a most inappropriate statement to a teammate". I'm sure what he said was rather vile, but we have no idea if there were any racial implications in what he said.
No not to indicate at all. Yes I know it falls under a few different horrible things, as I noted. I explained that along with his fathers own words on video, that Tony was not calling anyone pet names, cmon dude get there, I said this already! You don't want to believe it, sure, ok.

Which brings us back to your original statement, which was: "Personally I think he is a racist by what he says and does"

There has never been any suggestion that his suspensions for run-ins with the officials was in any way racial, so let's toss those out unless you have something to suggest otherwise.

His dad's interview never touches on the topic of race or suggests that's what DeAngelo was suspended for, so I'm not sure how that is additional evidence of Tony being a racist.
So let's here your explanation of what dad meant, i am eager to hear? Again, I gave examples, all which would not be what Dad would be doing on the streets of philly as he eluded to on the video, his words were I did the same and worse.
So again, you feel you have enough information to go off of to say that you think he's a racist by what he "says and does".
Quite honestly I can do what I want, regardless of what you say and yes I do think he is, its not a far leap to get there. I'm there!
We don't actually know if there was anything racial in the statement he got suspened for in Sarnia and as far as what he does, maybe you're referring to the suspensions with officials,
Again the video of dad says all I need to know, go watch it with an open mind
getting traded or the latest fight with Georgiev - all of which don't have any racial connotations either. I also said the Georgie thing was not racial, did you just read what you wanted or what?
No I said that originally in my post ( it is not apparent in this instance,)
There's a lot to criticize DeAngelo about and he's brought it upon himself. I've been critical of him and his behavior in plenty of posts, but I'll still get accused of being his defender (and more harsh attacks) because of this one issue - which is that I don't think it's fair to label him a racist solely based on the Sarnia suspension in which we have no idea what was said or if there were any racial connotations to it.
He was suspended 3x (under a broad range of nasty stuff), that much is true and you have no proof that it was not race related do you?
Beyond that incident, what other actions has he taken to reinforce this notion that he's a racist which so many people seem to be running with? Am I 100% convinced he's not a racist? No, but that doesn't mean I'm going to make such a vile accusation with such little evidence out there.
I hope his off to the KHL!

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
If Rangers are not interesting in retaining back salary, what incentive do teams have now to trade for DeAngelo when they could have had him for free from waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad