GDT: Deadline Day - Twas the night before Trademas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't like it. Would have rather kept Maroon and passed on Pirri. Why not just wait til the summer to move him if you need to get rid of some salary?

Basically this.

Maybe Bob didn`t like that he was out of shape to start the training camp.
Damn, i really don`t like to see him go before the playoffs

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Wow. This deadline just took a hit.

Why trade Maroon? I figure to move salary, but surely this could have waited until the offseason?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
On an unrelated note, Boone Jenners contract is good for us in regards to Rakell. Hard to argue he's not in that $2.5 - $3M ballpark when just as good/better players are getting those amounts.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Trading Maroon frees up 2 million in cap space and we replace him with McGinn. It's a good business move, but it hurts my heart

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
So it's essentially Paddy for McGinn? I'm not sure I like that...

mytduxfan*

I'm actually pretty confident in a kings matchup... we have a pretty annoying roster (garbutt, perry, perron, mcginn, bieska, kesler, stewart) Since kesler, kopitar has basically been invisible vs anahiem. We can roll all 4 of our lines(I think the deadline moves make that even more realistic option. I think the fact that our top 3 lines have a star player on them make it tough to match up, basically 1 of perry/kesler/getzlaf is going up against the kings bottom pairing dmen at some point.

Doughty/Quick can carry them through a series that's my only concern both are elite players at their position.

Agreed, but I think we're annoying enough that we can get under Quick's skin fairly easy. It's Doughty that could be a problem and BB getting out-coached. However, my point is that it's close and it was never going to be walk in the park as some seem to think.

Doughty and Muzzin, but yeah, they haven't really recovered from losing Voynov.

Muzzin isn't any better than anyone we have. IMO, it goes:

Doughty

Fowler
Lindholm
Muzzin
Vatanen = Martinez
Manson
Bieksa - he's been solid recently.
Despres - he's been awful recently.
All other LA D-men

Theory at draft: Trade Andersen for a 1st / or '16 2nd +'17 3rd.

Trade Vatanen for Drouin + 2nd/3rd.

We'll be fine on picks.

Make it happen Bobby.:)

Like Keith last year, Doughty will play half the game, so I still give them the edge on D in the playoffs. I think our offenses are pretty close, but I'd give us the edge there. They're much better in goal.

I could see that series going 7 games again, but man, I just think it's a missed opportunity not to use our assets to our advantage.

Ok, but adding one 1st line winger (I assume you mean Eriksson) wouldn't change that? Keith/Doughty would still play 30+ mins a night. So we'd still be getting beat on D. They'd still have stronger goaltending.

I just can't get my head around the idea that adding a guy with what <10 more goals than McGinn would have made that much of difference? Don't get me wrong, we'd be better with Eriksson (for example) than with McGinn or Pirri, but do you seriously think Eriksson pushes this team over the edge. If I look at it on paper, I don't think he makes us good enough to say, we'd be favourites against CHI? After all, CHI still has proven clutch performers in Toews and Kane. We don't have those. They still have a true #1D. We don't have one. They still have more proven and consistent netminding. We don't have that. So, yeah, you're going to have explain to me how Eriksson/another 1st line winger would have put us over the top please.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
On an unrelated note, Boone Jenners contract is good for us in regards to Rakell. Hard to argue he's not in that $2.5 - $3M ballpark when just as good/better players are getting those amounts.

And Matta's contract is good for us in regards to Lindholm and Vats 6year, 24 million. Lindholm could get a little more, but Vats would be right around there. Lindholm-5-6 mil a season, Sami 4-5 mil per season.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I would rather lose stewart than maroon. Maroon never seemed to get out of BB doghouse.

I liked the way he played, and the way he stood up for the players. Now we need stewart in the line up against LAK in order to have some size.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Patty was pretty bad this year. But he was always good in playoffs. Why trade proven playoff performer for pick now?

jeffl97

Dec 5, 2010
I mean once we traded for McGinn there wasn't really any room for Maroon. McGinn should slot in on the Rakell/Perry line.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Patty was pretty bad this year. But he was always good in playoffs. Why trade proven playoff performer for pick now?

Yeah, this. This is quite similar to the Penner deal way back, when Bob decided to just eject a proven playoff performer at the TDL for no apparent reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad