GDT: Deadline Day - Twas the night before Trademas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Well, no boom trade but that was expected.
Maroon has been so so for quite a long time IMO, I can see why he got traded, I'll not miss him much to be honest since we have a replacement.

Problem is Chicago got much much better, I cannot see us going past them. Even the Kings would be very tricky to say the least with this team. It sucks to be a budget team...

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I just read that Yzerman has opened a door for Drouin to return to the team.

I think the exact words that he didn't say were... I couldn't get anything decent at TDL and if he sits at home another 4 months he will be worth nothing at the draft.

John

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Well, no boom trade but that was expected.
Maroon has been so so for quite a long time IMO, I can see why he got traded, I'll not miss him much to be honest since we have a replacement.

Problem is Chicago got much much better, I cannot see us going past them. Even the Kings would be very tricky to say the least with this team. It sucks to be a budget team...

I'm honestly not as worried about LA as most people seem to be. Not saying they'd be a pushover or anything, but overall I think we're a deeper team with more offensive ability and similar defensive strength. Their strategy is basically get a quick lead and then turtle into a defensive shell of possession/robot-like systems hockey. I don't see that working well against a team that can run four lines as well as multiple puck-moving dmen like Anaheim that can join the rush and make quick outlet passes. Outside of DD/Muzzin/Martinez their defense is honestly pretty thin. If they want to win another cup in 2016 Doughty/Quick will basically have to carry them on their backs (which could happen, but I wouldn't say is likely).

The only team in the West that I see as objectively better than us is Chicago.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
I'm honestly not as worried about LA as most people seem to be. Not saying they'd be a pushover or anything, but overall I think we're a deeper team with more offensive ability and similar defensive strength. Their strategy is basically get a quick lead and then turtle into a defensive shell of possession/robot-like systems hockey. I don't see that working well against a team that can run four lines as well as multiple puck-moving dmen like Anaheim that can join the rush and make quick outlet passes. Outside of DD/Muzzin/Martinez their defense is honestly pretty thin. If they want to win another cup in 2016 Doughty/Quick will basically have to carry them on their backs (which could happen, but I wouldn't say is likely).

I agree. But to be honest, I'm not scared of the kings at all. Chicago on the other hand...

mytduxfan*

See, idk about this. I mean, on paper, sure, but if we're going by the paper, we should have been bumped out the WCFs in 4 games last year. IMO, if CHI beats us now, they probably were going to beat us before Ladd and co. arrived. I just don't see those players as significant additions.

IMO, CHI are marginal favourites with LA, ANA, and NSH not far behind. Once again, I think the West wins the SC this year.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I just read that Yzerman has opened a door for Drouin to return to the team.

I think the exact words that he didn't say were... I couldn't get anything decent at TDL and if he sits at home another 4 months he will be worth nothing at the draft.

John

He won't lose value from now until the draft.

I think it would be beneficial to Drouin and TB if he would return to play but even if he doesn't, his value isn't dropping. If anything, more teams will have more flexibility at the draft than they did now.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Hilarious how Murray's trades trickled in well after the buzzer again. He likes his closeout clearance sales. :laugh:

The way I see it:

Pirri - :thumbu: - Can't go wrong really, solid bargain gamble.

McGinn- :phew: - At least we got someone that can step right in and should fit well with our current style. Not sure he's a legit upgrade, but the potential is there and the price was right.

Maroon - :shakehead - We didn't need to do this right now, adding to our LW depth with McGinn, and then taking it away with this move. The return was weak, plus retention. Yuck.

Overall, B- from this fan. Could've been better, could've been worse.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Anyone see Yzerman's comments? I can't post a link because I'm on my phone but paraphrasing, he said "we wanted immediate help, primarily for our PP. The guy that could help us wasn't available". That absolutely screams Vatanen IMO.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Anyone see Yzerman's comments? I can't post a link because I'm on my phone but paraphrasing, he said "we wanted immediate help, primarily for out PP. The guy that could help us wasn't available". That absolutely screams Vatanen IMO.

Well hopefully they still want Vats at the draft.

Oct 18, 2011
Anyone see Yzerman's comments? I can't post a link because I'm on my phone but paraphrasing, he said "we wanted immediate help, primarily for out PP. The guy that could help us wasn't available". That absolutely screams Vatanen IMO.

well if he ever was available that door certainly slammed shut over the last month
but this will be re-visited in the summer i bet

Oct 18, 2011

well if he ever was available that door certainly slammed shut over the last month
but this will be re-visited in the summer i bet

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I can't shake the feeling that whoever ends up with Drouin is in for a nightmare the first time he hits RFA.

I agree, but it sounds like we already have a nightmare with Lindholm, Rakell, Vatanen, and Andersen.

Even if we get Drouin for only 2 years, it might be better than trying to 4 producing RFAs in 1 offseason.

Murray's comments seem to indicate he won't be able to keep everyone on D. I just hope we can get Lindholm and Rakell on reasonable extensions.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Muzzin isn't any better than anyone we have. IMO, it goes:

Doughty

Fowler
Lindholm
Muzzin
Vatanen = Martinez
Manson
Bieksa - he's been solid recently.
Despres - he's been awful recently.
All other LA D-men

Machinehead would hate seeing this in the Lindholm or Fowler thread he loves advanced stats and has Muzzin as a top 10 defenseman in the entire NHL

Oct 18, 2011
I can't shake the feeling that whoever ends up with Drouin is in for a nightmare the first time he hits RFA.
i would still take the chance
at that time it may be easier to do a montour based trade with them, depending on how things shake out here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad