Speculation: DEADLINE DALLAS: Dream Defenseman Destination? Discuss.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
It was fun in the moment 100%. but it can't be used as a benchmark because of the unique circumstances it was played in.
Hell Bowness was the head coach, that should tell you how much of a outlier it was, he's never getting back to that level again
So what is playoff success in your books? I’m curious now because if it’s cup or bust then I get your perspective and to each their own

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Back maybe, Bourque, no way.
I agree Bourque has a better chance to be good. Our specific conversation about depth for the playoffs, i.e., that just because Stank has litten it up like an old pro, doesn't mean the rise of other similarly talented prospects will follow. While average fans always tout the next rookie, I understand why GM's and coaches heavily lean on experience and size as well.

Working Stank in as seamlessly as possible is in effect a wildly successful trade. Most rookies don't end up that way, and hey, even Stank might take a step back in the playoffs or even in our last 16 games. We just don't know.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
the problem is you people are viewing winning games as the measure of success in the PO.
winning a cup is the measure of success in the PO

19 of our PO wins came in series that we lost in the 1st or 2nd round that isn't success.
an additional 14 came in a fluke covid bubble that was an aberration. You can consider that success if you want.
In 10yrs of nills "balance for the future approach" there's 1 yr (last year) you could call successful, in that they were 2 wins away from making the SCF, despite how thoroughly outplayed and embarrassed we were by Vegas.

if you're measure of success is just getting in the PO and winning a couple of games. there's a lot of successful teams every year.
That's probably why this team can't get anywhere.
They are using the "we won this many games" as a metric.
instead of we really need to figure out how to compete with teams that are actually good instead of dunking on garbage like Minnesota, Nashville and Seattle (which they still somehow struggle with) then getting slapped around by actual contenders as success
There are 32 teams now. If the Cup is your only measure of success, then what's the point of getting mad? This rapid expansion means it's pretty likely most of us will go the rest of our lives not seeing another Cup win. Why would I be a sports fan if all I'm going to do is be pissed the rest of my life?

You have to accept that long playoff runs in a 32 team league are equivalent to a Cup win from a pre-90s expansion team in terms of achievement.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Seeing Nills interview sounds like he views Bayreuthers health as a pseudo deadline addition should we get more than 1 defensive injury.

That and the wild card of Bischel possibly

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Was the goal in Vegas to get an entirely new team or was the GM drunk and wanted to buy everything in the store?

I see Colorado did not get their back up goalie. Hope they wear out Georgiev.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
So what is playoff success in your books? I’m curious now because if it’s cup or bust then I get your perspective and to each their own
It's conditional on the teams situation, right?

Like take Buffalo, young team.
Getting into the PO and winning a round would be a success.
same would apply for Detroit.

Colorado getting in and winning 3 games and losing in round 1, wouldn't be PO success. even though a lot of people here would say they won 3 games, that's success.

Getting to the 3rd round would generally be a good showing however getting thoroughly embarrassed like we were last year, not a success to me, it just showed how far behind we are.
the number of wins don't matter to me.

Scenario for you.
in 1 year
team A wins in the first round 4games-0 then loses in round 2 2games-4.
team B loses in round 1 3games-4.
in 2nd year
Team doesn't make the PO.
Team B loses in round 1 3-4.

both teams have 6 wins, which team was more successful, by your wins are all that matter standard?

We have one of the oldest rosters in the league with only 2 prospects of substances coming in the near-ish future (some of that is due to graduation), and management is all to happy to say "we just got to get in and anything can happen". They don't need to be completely re-active.
Like they don't need to go get Chychrun because Vegas grabbed Hanifin, but they shouldn't be happy relying on the zodiac to align perfectly for them to actual be able to win-out, and that is Nill's appracoh. "just get in and anything can happen".
Luck is obviously involved in winning a cup, but by doing barely anything he's basically putting a junkie in a room with a kilo of cocaine and expecting it to be there when he gets back. Instead of doing everything he possible can to make the team better (chief among them a better backup goalie) he's just willing to let it ride, as if next year will be the year, or the year after where he will finally grow a pair and actually try to win instead of just hoping they'll win.

My measure of success for this roster, is WCF or better (which is looking very much like a pipe dream) but actually looking like they belong there instead of looking like they lucked into it ala Montreal in SCF a few years back

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Was the goal in Vegas to get an entirely new team or was the GM drunk and wanted to buy everything in the store?

I see Colorado did not get their back up goalie. Hope they wear out Georgiev.
augment the roster and compete for a cup

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
They looked like they belonged in the WCF in the games without Benn and when Oettinger didn't implode upon the game starting.

Reactions: LT and MBTendy

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I don't want to be a downer too much, will get over it.

But I think the West is an arms race and I have the Stars now as the 6th best team in the West.

Think Colorado and Edmonton are the powerhouses, Vancouver and Winnipeg both Edge Dallas with better defense and goal tending and Vegas while being a mystery this year, just look a whole lot more powerful and are simply waiting for the playoffs, have to have Vegas ahead of Dallas.

Bit of a bummer as I thought Dallas weren't far away, but to me now I think our recent play and only 1 move suggests we make up the numbers in West this year.

Ahh well, will still cheer them on

Reactions: Kiorei

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
From the Shap Shots that just dropped.
Screenshot_20240308-181039.png

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
i really hate how everyone is trying to spin Stankoven like he's a deadline addition, he should have been here from day 1, hell he should have been here last year. mismanaging the cap so poorly that you couldn't call him up until late in the season, doesn't suddenly let you sell it as "deadline" pickup.
I mean technically he is an addition around the deadline.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I mean technically he is an addition around the deadline.
Yeah, but it's Nill continued pathetic attempt to sell doing minimal additions at the deadline as if he planned it all along, he's done this a few times.
"We just left in the AHL for most of the season so we could have them be a free "deadline" addition that makes our team better...
Never mind that i made the team intentionally worse for most the year by keeping them in the ahl to pull of this brilliant 4d chess move."

• Haha
Reactions: Dallasman

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Yeah, but it's Nill continued pathetic attempt to sell as if he planned it all along, he's done this a few times.
"We just left in the AHL for most of the season so we could have them be a free "deadline" addition that makes our team better...
Never mind that i made the team intentionally worse for most the year to pull of this brilliant 4d chess move."
Team was like 3rd in the league before they brought him up

With how much you stretch you must be really limber.

• Haha
Reactions: Dallasman

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Team was like 3rd in the league before they brought him up

With how much you stretch you must be really limber.
Could have been 1st if they would have "acquired" their deadline pickup 5 months ago

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
i really hate how everyone is trying to spin Stankoven like he's a deadline addition, he should have been here from day 1, hell he should have been here last year. mismanaging the cap so poorly that you couldn't call him up until late in the season, doesn't suddenly let you sell it as "deadline" pickup.
I agree. I'd even say if Stankoven had been up all season, there wouldn't have been any talk about needing forward help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad