Speculation: DEADLINE DALLAS: Dream Defenseman Destination? Discuss.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
You're hitting on a lot of great points and I think I've been banging this drum for a few years - and I think when you look back at the past 10 yrs (start of Nill + Benn/Seguin era) the Stars have been one of the more competitive teams in the NHL. Looking at the top teams in playoff wins since then there's only one other team above the Stars that hasn't lifted the cup. It's a 32 team league and a lot of people seem to choose to ignore that on this forum.

That’s just it.

What’s even more impressive is even with the Stars being constantly a good team since the Benn/Seguin era (aside from a couple of hiccup years), the Stars are set up to stay at this level for the foreseeable future while never having to enter a rebuild.

We’re pretty lucky as a fanbase. We’re just missing a Cup to show for and it’s quite possible the Stars get one within the next few years.

Reactions: LT and Zrhutch

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
the problem is you people are viewing winning games as the measure of success in the PO.
winning a cup is the measure of success in the PO

19 of our PO wins came in series that we lost in the 1st or 2nd round that isn't success.
an additional 14 came in a fluke covid bubble that was an aberration. You can consider that success if you want.
In 10yrs of nills "balance for the future approach" there's 1 yr (last year) you could call successful, in that they were 2 wins away from making the SCF, despite how thoroughly outplayed and embarrassed we were by Vegas.

if you're measure of success is just getting in the PO and winning a couple of games. there's a lot of successful teams every year.
That's probably why this team can't get anywhere.
They are using the "we won this many games" as a metric.
instead of we really need to figure out how to compete with teams that are actually good instead of dunking on garbage like Minnesota, Nashville and Seattle (which they still somehow struggle with) then getting slapped around by actual contenders as success
If winning a cup is the only measure of success then your expectations are absurdly unrealistic.

This team never even went through a rebuild, did it on the fly while being competitive after the bankruptcy, our drafting is looking like some of the best in the league now. This team is incredibly successful, Cups aren't the only measure.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
You're hitting on a lot of great points and I think I've been banging this drum for a few years - and I think when you look back at the past 10 yrs (start of Nill + Benn/Seguin era) the Stars have been one of the more competitive teams in the NHL. Looking at the top teams in playoff wins since then there's only one other team above the Stars that hasn't lifted the cup. It's a 32 team league and a lot of people seem to choose to ignore that on this forum.

Doug Wilson re-signed Hertl - so Grier inherited that contract. I'm not shocked that Grier wanted to blow it up but it definitely sucks that they're retaining almost 20% of the contract for the next 6 years.
i think it's even more impressive when you think about what this team and prospect cupboard looked like when nill took over.

Reactions: LT and Satan

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
If winning a cup is the only measure of success then your expectations are absurdly unrealistic.

This team never even went through a rebuild, did it on the fly while being competitive after the bankruptcy, our drafting is looking like some of the best in the league now. This team is incredibly successful, Cups aren't the only measure.

Team's never had a first overall pick in their entire existence either lol. Modano was but Minnesota made that pick.

Reactions: Elysian

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
"the problem is you people are viewing winning games as the measure of success in the PO.
winning a cup is the measure of success in the PO"

Again, ultimate success is the Cup, but the one stat that never changes is that there is only one winner a year, and the odds are against everyone.

I think they are measuring series that either were participated in or won. You hear players and coaches say they are hoping to "go deep in the playoffs" and getting the conf finals is deep, IMHO. But from your computer screen, you can tell all the players are dogs and the coaches and GM's are worse. Again, comparing some mythical perfection level of winning the cup multiple years to what the Stars have done....sure you can make the Stars look bad against perfection that no team has ever accomplished.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
the problem is you people are viewing winning games as the measure of success in the PO.

19 of our PO wins came in series that we lost in the 1st or 2nd round that isn't success.
an additional 14 came in a fluke covid bubble that was an aberration. You can consider that success if you want.
In 10yrs of nills "balance for the future approach" there's 1 yr (last year) you could call successful, in that they were 2 wins away from making the SCF, despite how thoroughly outplayed and embarrassed we were by Vegas.

if you're measure of success is just getting in the PO and winning a couple of games. there's a lot of successful teams every year.
instead of we really need to figure out how to compete with teams that are actually good instead of dunking on garbage like Minnesota, Nashville and Seattle (which they still somehow struggle with) then getting slapped around by actual contenders as success
if the only team with a successful season is the ONE that wins the playoffs each year, then yeah, it's probs best for your mental health to not be a sports fan.

would that even make you happy? sounds like you'd say to the team/org, 'alright guys, you finally didn't f up your jobs, guess we won't fire you this year.'

a championship is supposed to be euphoric. finishing last is an awful year and miserable. you're leaving zero gradient between.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

Funny you ignore Dallas beating COL, VGK, CAL during their 2020 run. Not to mention Seattle wasn’t an easy out when you considered they handled Colorado the way they did in the 1st round last year.

If you want to measure playoff success by winning the cup or bust, then you’ll be disappointed almost everytime. It’s a 32 team league in a salary cap era, only 14 different teams have won since 2000.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Funny you ignore Dallas beating COL, VGK, CAL during their 2020 run. Not to mention Seattle wasn’t an easy out when you considered they handled Colorado the way they did in the 1st round last year.

If you want to measure playoff success by winning the cup or bust, then you’ll be disappointed almost everytime. It’s a 32 team league in a salary cap era, only 14 different teams have won since 2000.
They(Seattle) barely beat a very injured Colorado team, that also lost Nichushkin mid series due to his prostitute habit, they didn't "handle" them.
Didn't ignore them beating those teams in 2020, I ignored the year entirely because it was a aberrant playoff. It was a once in a lifetime scenario that played out with unique circumstances, it even had a f***ing play-in. It's excluded for obvious reasons.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
They(Seattle) barely beat a very injured Colorado team, that also lost Nichushkin mid series due to his prostitute habit, they didn't "handle" them
Didn't ignore them beating those teams in 2020, I ignored the year entirely because it was a aberrant playoff. It was a once in a lifetime scenario that played out with unique circumstances, it even had a f***ing play-in. It's excluded for obvious reasons.
you rationalize more than my girl at target.

you can wipe 2020 off the map and all of the stats provided about how the stars stack up against the league in PO wins doesn't change much.

anyway, i think this horse is dead 10x over, i'm out.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
1709932806832.jpeg

Gotta love the casual fans.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
They(Seattle) barely beat a very injured Colorado team, that also lost Nichushkin mid series due to his prostitute habit, they didn't "handle" them.
You choose to ignore that run and I choose to remember that run as being my favourite memory as a Stars fan since the 2008 run. It’s what you make of it at the end of the day.

Some fans kill to have the amount of playoffs wins the Stars do the past 5, 10, 20 years etc. Even if it hasn’t resulted in a Cup yet, it makes for a fun time to be a fan and the Stars are built to continue having success for the next 5 + years without missing a beat.

Reactions: LT and Elysian

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Now you're just trolling. Anything good that happens is just luck for the Stars, anything bad that happens is a massive F up by the Stars, rather than a case of the other guys being pretty good, too, and there are never any guarantees.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You choose to ignore that run and I choose to remember that run as being my favourite memory as a Stars fan since the 2008 run. It’s what you make of it at the end of the day.
It was fun in the moment 100%. but it can't be used as a benchmark because of the unique circumstances it was played in.
Hell Bowness was the head coach, that should tell you how much of a outlier it was, he's never getting back to that level again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad