Speculation: DEADLINE DALLAS: Dream Defenseman Destination? Discuss.

Codez

Feb 1, 2023
Whatever everyone's opions on Playoff Success is or isn't.....

I for one, am looking forward to Stars Playoff hockey, and win or lose I like our chances more and more with each year....

And, this year I like our chances the most !

Go STARS ! ! !

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I find it odd so many people think some of the teams that have made multiple additions have leap-frogged over the Stars. I get that they have added good players but these teams need to show that the players they acquired actually work on their team.

Plenty of quality playoff rentals turn out to just not mesh with the team. I can’t back this up with any stats, but I bet that the risk of player is not meshing is increased when you’re acquiring multiple players at the deadline.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Would I have wanted another addition? Sure. However, that being said, I like where we're at.
images

Reactions: Dallasman
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Funniest part of deadline day is going around to other playoff teams' threads like this one and seeing how they all think their team still sucks while others got so much stronger. It's easy to overrate the competition when you aren't watching them every game and invested in the performance of their worst players.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Edit: nevermind. Obviously the guy is having a bad day for whatever reason and has decided to vent about hockey instead. I don’t need to pile on

Last edited:

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I find it odd so many people think some of the teams that have made multiple additions have leap-frogged over the Stars. I get that they have added good players but these teams need to show that the players they acquired actually work on their team.

Plenty of quality playoff rentals turn out to just not mesh with the team. I can’t back this up with any stats, but I bet that the risk of player is not meshing is increased when you’re acquiring multiple players at the deadline.

My main concern, the Avs have our number. Rinsed us last week. Beat us twice in Dallas. Think ther is a psychological edge they own...then they added 4 players to improve different facets of their roster.

Vegas better too..

If Dallas play either Colorado or Vegas I fear we fall short, when, outside of that I considered Dallas very much an even chance to win the Cup.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
It's conditional on the teams situation, right?

Like take Buffalo, young team.
Getting into the PO and winning a round would be a success.
same would apply for Detroit.

Colorado getting in and winning 3 games and losing in round 1, wouldn't be PO success. even though a lot of people here would say they won 3 games, that's success.

Getting to the 3rd round would generally be a good showing however getting thoroughly embarrassed like we were last year, not a success to me, it just showed how far behind we are.
the number of wins don't matter to me.

Scenario for you.
in 1 year
team A wins in the first round 4games-0 then loses in round 2 2games-4.
team B loses in round 1 3games-4.
in 2nd year
Team doesn't make the PO.
Team B loses in round 1 3-4.

both teams have 6 wins, which team was more successful, by your wins are all that matter standard?

We have one of the oldest rosters in the league with only 2 prospects of substances coming in the near-ish future (some of that is due to graduation), and management is all to happy to say "we just got to get in and anything can happen". They don't need to be completely re-active.
Like they don't need to go get Chychrun because Vegas grabbed Hanifin, but they shouldn't be happy relying on the zodiac to align perfectly for them to actual be able to win-out, and that is Nill's appracoh. "just get in and anything can happen".
Luck is obviously involved in winning a cup, but by doing barely anything he's basically putting a junkie in a room with a kilo of cocaine and expecting it to be there when he gets back. Instead of doing everything he possible can to make the team better (chief among them a better backup goalie) he's just willing to let it ride, as if next year will be the year, or the year after where he will finally grow a pair and actually try to win instead of just hoping they'll win.

My measure of success for this roster, is WCF or better (which is looking very much like a pipe dream) but actually looking like they belong there instead of looking like they lucked into it ala Montreal in SCF a few years back
Maybe he should have been more active. But the thing is when referring to the teams age, is the actual core players moving forward for the Stars are almost all prior to their prime years. Only Hintz is really in the middle of his prime. Your core players moving forward are going to be Hintz at 27, Oettinger 25, Miro and Robertson 24, Harley 22, Bourque 21 and Johnston and Stankoven 20. Maybe Bischel 19. Next year might be the sweet spot if you can stretch out the performance of some of the teams veteran's another year, while getting more consistent and developed output from the younger players who could come more into their own with further experience.

But the teams window isn't really in any danger of closing anytime soon given the 2017 and 2021 drafts.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
i really hate how everyone is trying to spin Stankoven like he's a deadline addition, he should have been here from day 1, hell he should have been here last year. mismanaging the cap so poorly that you couldn't call him up until late in the season, doesn't suddenly let you sell it as "deadline" pickup.
That's EXACTLY what it lets you sell it as. He WASN'T here from day one or last year, so that's why it IS like a deadline addition. So you're the one spinning, as usual. Man, I do truly believe you're a pure troll and don't believe all your bizarre takes are real.

I agree. I'd even say if Stankoven had been up all season, there wouldn't have been any talk about needing forward help.
Regardless of that, he said it 's being spun as a deadline addition. That is literally what it was, an addition around the deadline. Don't let him get away with bullshit. Of course everyone wanted Stankoven on the team before now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBTendy and 506

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
My main concern, the Avs have our number. Rinsed us last week. Beat us twice in Dallas. Think ther is a psychological edge they own...then they added 4 players to improve different facets of their roster.

Vegas better too..

If Dallas play either Colorado or Vegas I fear we fall short, when, outside of that I considered Dallas very much an even chance to win the Cup.
Hopefully the players don't think there's some kind of mental voodoo going on like you do or yeah we would lose to them both.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
That's EXACTLY what it lets you sell it as. He WASN'T here from day one or last year, so that's why it IS like a deadline addition. So you're the one spinning, as usual. Man, I do truly believe you're a pure troll and don't believe all your bizarre takes are real.

Regardless of that, he said it 's being spun as a deadline addition. That is literally what it was, an addition around the deadline. Don't let him get away with bullshit. Of course everyone wanted Stankoven on the team before now.
Sure I'm the one spinning it:rolleyes:
I'm the one that f***ed the cap so badly that there was no room to keep him in the nhl and wouldn't waive worse players to make room because the better player had waiver exemption still.

You can call it a deadline addition if you want, but it's nothing more than pure mismanagement of the roster.
It's another in a long line of dumb shit moves from Nill that if we had the media of a real market would have been called out a long ass time ago. It's f***ing Pejorative Slured. The amount of people that eat this shit up is shocking.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Sure I'm the one spinning it:rolleyes:
I'm the one that f***ed the cap so badly that there was no room to keep him in the nhl and wouldn't waive worse players to make room because the better player had waiver exemption still.

You can call it a deadline addition if you want, but it's nothing more than pure mismanagement of the roster.
It's another in a long line of dumb shit moves from Nill that if we had the media of a real market would have been called out a long ass time ago. It's f***ing Pejorative Slured. The amount of people that eat this shit up is shocking.
You spun by calling it it spinning that it's like a deadline addition. It's an addition literally around the deadline. I can call it that because that's what it is. It's a fact. Whether it's a result of mismanagement or not. Regardless of the reason.

Your enraged blathering is embarrassing. Please go get laid somehow.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Would be interesting to see the psychology here if Nill traded for Tanev yesterday instead of a week ago.
It would be the same doing the bare minimum last minute or a week in advance is still doing the bare minimum

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
You spun by calling it it spinning that it's like a deadline addition. It's an addition literally around the deadline. I can call it that because that's what it is. It's a fact. Whether it's a result of mismanagement or not. Regardless of the reason.

Your enraged blathering is embarrassing. Please go get laid somehow.
Congrats on the future sex M88K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad