Speculation: DEADLINE DALLAS: Dream Defenseman Destination? Discuss.

Triple Ex El

Three sausage taquitos with cheese
Apr 29, 2013
DFW, TX
1000002934.jpg
Helluva week...

Attachments

• 1000002934.jpg
    1000002934.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Conveniently limiting the time frame will do that.
We've had 2 good runs. 1 in a fluke Covid year that is drastically increasing that number and last year.
and i don't considering getting clowned in the WCF playoff success
conveniently defining 'success' as what make you feel happy inside will also make you bitter and unpleasable.

you find a way to excuse every success and amplify every failure. i can't understand why you try so hard to be miserable. enjoy the ride man, this team is good!

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I consider this deadline a success. Didn't part with any 1st round picks or top prospects. Didn't acquire any filler or bad players that would get in the way. Didn't reduce future flexibility by taking on term. Tanev is a clear and present upgrade. Nill did his job. Now it's up to PDB to not screw it up.

I maintain that the optimal year for the Stars is 2026 when we get out from under the Benn/Faksa/Suter deals. Continue building toward that while remaining competitive.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I'm pretty sure this is just angst from trade deadline disappointment. We got baited hard with news that Nill was going to be aggressive, then struck first to land a major target, only to fade away with a whimper like we do every year. Meanwhile, Vegas is now the talk of the West and nobody cares about Dallas anymore.

Fortunately all these narratives mean absolutely f*** all.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I consider this deadline a success. Didn't part with any 1st round picks or top prospects. Didn't acquire any filler or bad players that would get in the way. Didn't reduce future flexibility by taking on term. Tanev is a clear and present upgrade. Nill did his job. Now it's up to PDB to not screw it up.

I maintain that the optimal year for the Stars is 2026. Continue building toward that while remaining competitive.
Hmmm I hope you’re right but not sure how unless the team will look completely different. We have some great young players, but the vets will either be gone or worse (Duchene, Pavs, Benn, Seguin). I felt like this would be the all in year since our vets haven’t completely crapped out on us quite yet.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Conveniently limiting the time frame will do that.
We've had 2 good runs. 1 in a fluke Covid year that is drastically increasing that number and last year.
and i don't considering getting clowned in the WCF playoff success

5 years the Stars rank 5th
10 years the Stars rank 6th
20 years the Stars rank 13th
25 years the Stars rank 6th

You done looking like a fool? Or do you want to keep being a disgruntled fan ?

At the end of the day the Stars have had playoff success and if you choose to forget a playoff run for whatever reason, that’s on you. It doesn’t take away the team’s success in the playoffs regardless.

Not to mention the Stars were a top team in 2020 for majority of the year so idk where the fluke label comes from. It was an odd season but nevertheless the Stars had a good team and could have won the cup had Bishop and Segs been healthy

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
When youre 2nd in the West, a year after finishing 2nd in the West....you should be putting everything out there to try to win it all, not have a view that hey, in 2 or 3 years time were going to be so good.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
1709930678378.png

This is just the Miro Era. I'd say this is okay success but they're not out here cheating the cap or having a perfect storm of literal generational talents and depth...

And the NHL deciding that giving Vegas free reign to generate revenue for the league is the best course of action...

Man... I hate business.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
View attachment 832654

This is just the Miro Era. I'd say this is okay success but they're not out here cheating the cap or having a perfect storm of literal generational talents and depth...

And the NHL deciding that giving Vegas free reign to generate revenue for the league is the best course of action...

Man... I hate business.

A lot more success than majority of the teams have had in those years.

Not sure what fans expected Nill to do after getting Tanev. At most it would have been a depth D who can slot on the 2nd/3rd pair

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
View attachment 832654

Man... I hate business.
They were two goals away from round 3 in 2019 and round 2 in 2022. To say they haven’t had success is disingenuous at best.

Reactions: LT and Elysian

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
San jose resigning hertl was a headscratcher then and its a headscratcher now. They waited for a terrible sellers market and now they’re stuck paying a million a year for the next 6 years for him not to play on the team. And the picks they could have secured to help the rebuild are now like 5+ years from actually helping the team (2025 x 2, 2027).

Reactions: Elysian

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I know people are upset we weren't as aggressive as reported but I take this Dallas team over any of these other rosters even post deadline. I'm still riding the high of having a rookie come in and start dominating the scoresheet, while having the leader in points of the AHL on the way.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

At the end of the day the Stars have had playoff success and if you choose to forget a playoff run for whatever reason, that’s on you. It doesn’t take away the team’s success in the playoffs regardless.

Not to mention the Stars were a top team in 2020 for majority of the year so idk where the fluke label comes from. It was an odd season but nevertheless the Stars had a good team and could have won the cup had Bishop and Segs been healthy
You're hitting on a lot of great points and I think I've been banging this drum for a few years - and I think when you look back at the past 10 yrs (start of Nill + Benn/Seguin era) the Stars have been one of the more competitive teams in the NHL. Looking at the top teams in playoff wins since then there's only one other team above the Stars that hasn't lifted the cup. It's a 32 team league and a lot of people seem to choose to ignore that on this forum.

San jose resigning hertl was a headscratcher then and its a headscratcher now. They waited for a terrible sellers market and now they’re stuck paying a million a year for the next 6 years for him not to play on the team. And the picks they could have secured to help the rebuild are now like 5+ years from actually helping the team (2025 x 2, 2027).
Doug Wilson re-signed Hertl - so Grier inherited that contract. I'm not shocked that Grier wanted to blow it up but it definitely sucks that they're retaining almost 20% of the contract for the next 6 years.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Ok Jimmy. Suter-Nils. Call up Bourque and scratch smith/faksa and Dellandrea once Seguin is back.

Reactions: Elysian

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
They were two goals away from round 3 in 2019 and round 2 in 2022. To say they haven’t had success is disingenuous at best.

I said okay success and then pointed out that the last couple cup winners have been NHL darlings filled with high profile marketable faces because business.

I didn't say we weren't competitive, because they have done a great job of keeping the team legitimately competitive.

A lot more success than majority of the teams have had in those years.

Not sure what fans expected Nill to do after getting Tanev. At most it would have been a depth D who can slot on the 2nd/3rd pair

This is correct. Imagine if you're San Jose after the end of the Jumbo Joe Era.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I said okay success and then pointed out that the last couple cup winners have been NHL darlings filled with high profile marketable faces because business.

I didn't say we weren't competitive, because they have done a great job of keeping the team legitimately competitive.
Oh no I wasn’t disagreeing with you, just the point made before you saying that the stars haven’t had playoff success. Hockeys hard and the Stars have been great over the past decade.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Oh no I wasn’t disagreeing with you, just the point made before you saying that the stars haven’t had playoff success. Hockeys hard and the Stars have been great over the past decade.

I didn't make that point though?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
MK88,

You have unrealistic expectations. Not too many teams, even playoff contenders, have 3 perfect pairs on D. We have a top 4 that is pretty decent. We will probably rotate Nils, Suter, and Jani somehow, but we know it is a copycat league, and we got beat by big Dmen in the LV series, so I think Nils will be the odd man out most nights, at least against heavy teams.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
You're hitting on a lot of great points and I think I've been banging this drum for a few years - and I think when you look back at the past 10 yrs (start of Nill + Benn/Seguin era) the Stars have been one of the more competitive teams in the NHL. Looking at the top teams in playoff wins since then there's only one other team above the Stars that hasn't lifted the cup. It's a 32 team league and a lot of people seem to choose to ignore that on this forum.

Doug Wilson re-signed Hertl - so Grier inherited that contract. I'm not shocked that Grier wanted to blow it up but it definitely sucks that they're retaining almost 20% of the contract for the next 6 years.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to insinuate their moving him was confusing now- I just meant its still a headscratcher after all this time. And now they are stuck trying to move him- but yes.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014

the problem is you people are viewing winning games as the measure of success in the PO.
winning a cup is the measure of success in the PO

19 of our PO wins came in series that we lost in the 1st or 2nd round that isn't success.
an additional 14 came in a fluke covid bubble that was an aberration. You can consider that success if you want.
In 10yrs of nills "balance for the future approach" there's 1 yr (last year) you could call successful, in that they were 2 wins away from making the SCF, despite how thoroughly outplayed and embarrassed we were by Vegas.

if you're measure of success is just getting in the PO and winning a couple of games. there's a lot of successful teams every year.
That's probably why this team can't get anywhere.
They are using the "we won this many games" as a metric.
instead of we really need to figure out how to compete with teams that are actually good instead of dunking on garbage like Minnesota, Nashville and Seattle (which they still somehow struggle with) then getting slapped around by actual contenders as success

• Haha
Reactions: Dallasman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad