GDT: DEADLINE DAAYYYYYYYY

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
If all three of Strome, Copp and Chytil stay healthy -- the addition of Copp will allow us to judge both Chytil and Strome's future with the team in a new light. All three are in contention for future 2nd line center / middle six center. Copp is a real contender for that spot. And should push Strome and Chytil to be better.

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That seems very low.

I don't think so - there's 42 Cups in those years and it's only "Deadline DAY" players - so 26 isn't really all that terrible a number when 3% of teams win a Cup every year. I wonder, however, how many were on the same team - ie... 3 players traded to team X in year Y would make the percentages even worse.

It verifies, though, that winning a Cup ain't easy.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think so - there's 42 Cups in those years and it's only "Deadline DAY" players - so 26 isn't really all that terrible a number when 3% of teams win a Cup every year. I wonder, however, how many were on the same team - ie... 3 players traded to team X in year Y would make the percentages even worse.

It verifies, though, that winning a Cup ain't easy.
Seems like every big contender makes at least one trade, some more than one. So it just seems like a low number, i would expect around 42 players at the least so i was surprised.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
That goes to show what we already know...that trade deadline deals almost never work out for the buyers.

I'm too lazy to go back my I'm pretty sure just about every team that has won has acquired some player either on the TDL day or a day or so before. Think this person is playing word games explicitly calling out on the TDL day.

I think its fair to say that most deadline deals don't work out because only 1 team wins the cup and there are always a ton of trades, but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't make deadline acquisitions. Have to be smart in your approach which the Rangers were.

Reactions: mike14

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
That goes to show what we already know...that trade deadline deals almost never work out for the buyers.

No it doesn't, it's heavily skewed. It's the actual deadline day, not any of the deals made before it. So if Toronto wins this year Giordano and Blackwell wouldn't count because it was a day earlier. It's nonsense.

Reactions: duhmetreE

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
No it doesn't, it's heavily skewed. It's the actual deadline day, not any of the deals made before it. So if Toronto wins this year Giordano and Blackwell wouldn't count because it was a day earlier. It's nonsense.

Uh, it's not nonsense, it just doesn't paint the complete picture since it doesn't take into account pre-deadline day deals apparently.

But I fail to see why it would be substantially different. All the Cup winners buy the day before? I doubt it.

The stats are probably similar-ish.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
So, who didn't reade for anyone this year. I guess they're the lock. I'm sure those numbers are skewed somehow by pre-cap seasons. And still it's not a huge surprise since most contenders trde, but oly one can win.

You'd expect the numbers to be more like one out of 16 though, which would come to like 74 players who should have won.

This is more like one out of 48.

It probably means the majority of renting is done by teams scrambling to make up ground on the favorites, which usually fails when the favorites still win the Cup.

It's in line with what I discovered as well as other than Tampa with Goodrow/Coleman 2 years ago, most recent winners rent very lightly.

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
Uh, it's not nonsense, it just doesn't paint the complete picture since it doesn't take into account pre-deadline day deals apparently.

But I fail to see why it would be substantially different. All the Cup winners buy the day before? I doubt it.

The stats are probably similar-ish.
Yes it is nonsense. You're drawing a conclusion off of manipulated data. The Lightning also got Blake Coleman the same week they got Goodrow but that doesn't count? Ok sure

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Deep lineup, so who comes out when Rooney and Kakko are back?

I would go with the below, while mixing in Vatrano for Hunt, Chytil and Rooney at times.
Kreids-Ziba-Laf
Panarin-Strome-Hunt
Goodrow-Copp-Kakko
Reaves-Chytil-Rooney
Vatrano
Motte

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Chytil is 22. It's one thing to be frustrated with the player, but he's developing. The team lacks centers. Why are we moving him off of center?
Because he's bad at a lot of things a Center is responsible for.

We're a playoff team competing.

We do what's best for the team. His strengths are still used at wing.... and Strome. Those 2 are no where near strong enough defensively. 1 is tolerable. 2 becomes an issue. Once Strome is gone, he can move back.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Because i"m bored, I went and had a look at NHLtradetracker.com
Noting that some of these trades may have been for minor leaguers, and we're only looking at trades in the year they won the cup, not ones where they may have traded for them the year before ; using in-season trades for players only:
- every single team except the 82 and 83 Isles made trades during the season
- the 07 Ducks had the most in-season trades with 12
- every other team made at least 1 trade in the calendar year in which they won the cup
- the 85 Habs and 86 Oilers made their last trade in the last week of Jan, every other team was late Feb or March

So what does this tell us? There's lots of hockey trades. Most teams acquire players in the last month ofr so of the season. Aside from that you can basically pluck out whatever you want to suit your argument

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad