GDT: DEADLINE DAAYYYYYYYY

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I just heard a report that the NHL also screwed up bc they didn't have it or they didn't confirm the list with Vegas when they approved the trade. If Vegas never received the list from ott or the NHL than I don't really think this all falls on them. If the NHL itself didn't play a role in this screwup this deal would have been avoided yesterday.
The NHL does not register the lists. It's not their responsibility, it's the team's.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
As is, they added rentals.

If they can extend some of them to good contracts, then this deadline was good.

If they can not, there was not much point towards using assets to acquire those players for one run, or overpaying them on their next contracts due to lack of options.

I know it's difficult to look past these playoffs, but like @mas0764 is saying, they have Zbad, and and Chytil (in his contract year), as the only two centers signed for next year. Copp, even Strome, if they are willing to extend have a ton of leverage to get what they want unless the Rangers are going to find someone else.

I did not expect them to be able to fix that at the deadline, yet they sort of gambled the other way by removing Barron and some picks that they could have used on center prospects, or used as trade capital on an already established center who had some term left.

I like the players they brought in, I like they did not spend tons and tons on them, yet it sure would have been nice to see them find some longer term, cap efficient, solutions at the center position.
The rentals they added were missing pieces this team needed, now we get to see if these pieces fit and could retain the ones that do. There is some additional value in that, rather than signing a UFA and hoping they work out. Meanwhile, the additions do make us stronger down the stretch, playing these meaningful games for all the young guys is huge for their development, so another side benefit for the team for future runs.

Copp seems to produce at 2nd line level when given those minutes, he should absolutely get a try to center Panarin and Strome. If he seems to fit then we can try to keep him for around $5m, ironically Gourde level value for a younger player with near equal production. So I think Copp is very much a calculated addition. Barron was never going to play center, he was a left-wing all throughout college, calling him a center was always foolish at best to keep up his value. I think he'll actually be a player for Winnipeg at wing, bottom 6, but we have multiple prospects who are much younger that will fill the Barron hole as soon as next season. Othmann, Cuylle, Berrard easily match Barrons skill set, and Sami Blais is another left-wing.

Drury retained all of the D prospects too, we can still use them for a swap for someone like Kupari, who could center the third line next year and with some time possibly develop into a 2c.

So I think through this lens they are very much underrated and very calculated moves. The team wants to be competitive, it still leaves room for young players to get experience and develop. I think Copp could have a couple of Brassard level years ahead for us, easily replace Strome long-term.
2022 can possibly look like this without massive trades:
Krieder-Zib-Laf
Panarin-Copp-Kakko
Blais-Kupari-Othman/Hunt/Kravtsov
Goodrow-Rooney-Motte/Reaves

Chytil is likely a cap casualty, but we'll recoup some picks we used in the trades. One of the D prospects swapped for someone like Kupari. Move Strome's right to get back a pick.

The team still has plenty of ammo for future runs to polish out the roster.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
There's really no tangible difference between Motte and Hunt, they are basically the same player lol. Maybe Motte has better straight ahead speed and Hunt is better on his edges but that's really it. With hunt having continuity with the team I'm not surprised at all he stays on the 3rd line.

Probably doesn't matter much but Motte is one of the best shot blocking forwards in the league. If the 4th line is going to allow a lot of shots, and they probably will, if he can keep an extra couple from going on goal there's some value in that.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He's nuts if he doesn't go for the Pageau contract.
I think Pageau had more to fall back on for 'value' purpsoes at negotiations. He's a comparable but I'd think he's worth more.

6x4.5M seems fair. Give or take. Maybe 4.8

Reactions: NYR Viper

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Bu tthey didn't toss away future chances. THey kept all the top prospects.

In regards to this particular trade, I mostly agree.

But then again I've said numerous times I give Drury a B for this deadline.

The debate is about where they stand generally and what else they need to do.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I don't mind the gamble as you put it. It is kind of a haul. They are giving up like 5 picks and a prospect who was at least probably a cheap, net positive bottom 6 player as soon as next season.

But people are right to be optimistic that we retained our best assets (well, I don't like that the pick to Winnipeg can turn into a first. That's a lot).

But the forward core remains incomplete. Needs young talent. More. Badly.

And the longer we wait to address this the harder it gets.

Selling seems to be a forbidden subject around here, but it shouldn't be.

Lookit, they chose to spend (wisely?) for this run. Ok.

But after this run they are gonna have to get creative. They are gonna have to capitalize on something. They are gonna have to win a hockey trade (this is possible - many NHL GMs are dunces (including our own?)). They are gonna have to liquidate someone or something. They may have to move someone out for cap space to keep their kids paid and developing and to be able to afford a young 2C somewhere.

I dunno what they are gonna do. I had my suggestions but those opportunities all went by the wayside. Now they've made their bed. They either need to come up with something or experience the likelihood that they've locked themselves into a team that can't win the Cup without a major shake up.
I’m not going to lie, I would not have been upset if they sold on Strome. Again, I’m not a hater but if he could’ve brought a 1st I would have done that. I like him but he’s not foundationL IMO, and there’s a chance he is not re signed anyway.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
In regards to this particular trade, I mostly agree.

But then again I've said numerous times I give Drury a B for this deadline.

The debate is about where they stand generally and what else they need to do.
They've put themselves in position to be a competitive playoff team that will be a tough out for wnyone. They've shown they can beat the best eastern teams. Expecting them to go from nothing to Stanley Cup favorites is unfair. They also have kept enough of their top prospects so that when they see how this post season goes they can address needs. The ultimate goal of being a perennial contender is the development of Laf, Kakko, Schneider, Chytil, Jones, etc. Drury did a good job meeting short term needs and protecting the future.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Yeah they should stick Copp at center and leave him there. Why they view Chytil as a center still is beyond me.
I feel like Chytil is the bottom six's best chance at entering the zone with possession and he usually does that the best down the center of the ice. Anyways, I'm pretty sure Copp will also get a look down the middle and he will most likely be taking the majority of faceoffs even if he's at wing. I don't think Chytil will have too much of a problem with playing RW when he has actual NHL linemates.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Because Chytil is not better on the wing. Chytil has played better recently with Goodrow and Hunt.
Playing him with Goodrow and Copp will also emphasize his strengths that way. Let him be down the middle and Goodrow and Copp are better defensive wingers for him.

Reactions: mas0764

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Because Chytil is not better on the wing. Chytil has played better recently with Goodrow and Hunt.

Not gonna lie, part of the appeal with Copp and Vatrano on that line with Chytil down the stretch is that I feel we will get a real good look at Chytil with linemates who work for him. Him thriving is a real boost, just like it is if Kakko comes back and thrives with Strome and Panarin.

Reactions: pld459666

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
They've put themselves in position to be a competitive playoff team that will be a tough out for wnyone. They've shown they can beat the best eastern teams. Expecting them to go from nothing to Stanley Cup favorites is unfair. They also have kept enough of their top prospects so that when they see how this post season goes they can address needs. The ultimate goal of being a perennial contender is the development of Laf, Kakko, Schneider, Chytil, Jones, etc. Drury did a good job meeting short term needs and protecting the future.

I don't expect them to go from nothing to Cup favorites, but if anything I expect them to go slower.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Isles not getting any assets when they know they arent making the playoffs is hilarious.
Lou thinks the Islanders will be good next season. They had a horrible schedule to begin their season but that's their own fault. Thirteen straight road games to begin the season. The building was not ready. They had Covid issues in December. He doesn't have that many guys to sell. All of the forwards are signed for next season. Some of them are not producing. Where is the market for Clutterback, Parise, Greene and Chara? Some of them didn't want to be traded. Lou needed Larry Brooks to run the Rangers and Brooksie would have sent Nils Lundkvist to the Islanders for Clutterback.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Chytil is 22. It's one thing to be frustrated with the player, but he's developing. The team lacks centers. Why are we moving him off of center?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad