GDT: DEADLINE DAAYYYYYYYY

effen

Feb 3, 2018
My hot take is that the Rangers make a strong play for Larkin this summer, especially if they go deep this year. Would be a 1 year then see what happens move, but hes got a lot of connections to this team from Michigan and the US National Teams, and we know theyve been interested before. Drury has a type.
Maybe, but the price on Larkin is gonna be 150 cents on the dollar. Detroit really has no reason to trade him *now* that they've begun their ascent.

He's exactly who you want when they contend, age wise. 3-4 years from now.

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I stand corrected. Even so, does that not prove my point that he can be this team's long term solution at 2C? If Copp is going to give them 50 points and play every situation thats incredibly valuable. By al accounts he's a good leader as well.
He could be. All depends on the number. I don't think he'll give us any sweetheart discount. His bff Trouba bent us over. Copp at 4-5mil for 4-5 years is manageable, but by all accounts he could earn more than that on the open market.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Maybe, but the price on Larkin is gonna be 150 cents on the dollar. Detroit really has no reason to trade him *now* that they've begun their ascent.

Right but does he want to be there through a rebuild and hope they’re ready to contend in time to win a cup?
Plus does Detroit pay him 1c money?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Right but does he want to be there through a rebuild and hope they’re ready to contend in time to win a cup?
Plus does Detroit pay him 1c money?
Hockey players don't like leaving.
And they of course always take the money.

And Detroit has a very clean cap sheet going forward.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
So with PP2 unchanged at the moment, you've got the other forwards being Copp/Hunt/Motte/Reaves as the 4 not on a unit for tonight. Rolling Motte-Copp-Hunt as a line after the PP expires against team's top lines is actually not bad and has the chance to continue that momentum you hope the PP brings.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

*whispers* Kakko could entice them. But thats a discussion for the summer. I still think Drury intends to keep Copp & Motte. Possibly Vatrano too but the price needs to be right. Spreading the wealth around the roster rather than giving out another big ticket contract probably works better for the Rangers considering their star players are locked in long-term

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Thats an absolutely fine ask for us if he's our 2c. I'd like maybe one more year on that, but considering that its slightly more than strome right now, and also prevents us from re-signing strome.
It gives us time to develop more centers without blowing through all our prospects and other teams having insane leverage.

The 4-5 year range is also that window where it'll hopefully transition from Mika/Panarin being the focal points of the team to Laf/KK being the focal points.
I wouldn’t TOTALLY rule out keeping Strome too if they get creative. And I’m not a Strome hater but I’d keep Copp over him.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Stone's not a center, Ziba had been treading water for literally years (and treaded water HERE his first year, he wasnt good), Eichel has no neck.

The sweet spot is to trade for a Zib or Elias Lindholm while they're being medicore and before they break out. The problem is most of the time Victor Rask ends up being Victor Rask.

If you want a functional guy who's not an earth mover, you can get a Bo Horvat with enough quarters. You can't get for an Elias Petterson. Your problem is only Pettersons move the needle for you. And picks and random D propsects don't move the needle for the guy who owns Pettersons.

If your stance is to overpay for 23-26 y/o former high picks and hope to get lucky, sure? But central to that is you're relying on luck.

Interestingly enough Eichel is playing right now despite "no neck."

It can be done. It's not every day but it happens.

And I don't agree that you can't find a top 6 young center for a top 4 RD prospect plus more. Even without immediate precedent that's good value for good value.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
After the season he's putting together, I don't think any extension for Larkin could begin at less than 8x8. We plain and simple can't afford something like that unless one or both of Kreider and Trouba are yeeted from the roster. No matter how low you project Kakko, the bottom line is that giving up a 22 year old cost-controlled top six winger would require us bringing in an asset that is equally under team control.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
So with PP2 unchanged at the moment, you've got the other forwards being Copp/Hunt/Motte/Reaves as the 4 not on a unit for tonight. Rolling Motte-Copp-Hunt as a line after the PP expires against team's top lines is actually not bad and has the chance to continue that momentum you hope the PP brings.

Goodrow better be the center on that PP unit cause Chyti is not that good at faceoffs. Copp would be a better choice once he sees how the PP works throughout the game

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There's really no tangible difference between Motte and Hunt, they are basically the same player lol. Maybe Motte has better straight ahead speed and Hunt is better on his edges but that's really it. With hunt having continuity with the team I'm not surprised at all he stays on the 3rd line.

What gives Motte the edge to me is that he kills penalties, although that's more or less irrelevant to standard line rotation.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
But then you are out a future stud RW.

Yeah but youd have a current stud center who is 26 in Larkin. Othmann may make the roster next year if they think hes done developing in the O. Also who knows what happens in the summer? Maybe they make amends with kravtsov and he slots in as a cheap RW. Theres also always the possibility that a veteran takes a below market deal to chase a few Cups in NY (Reilly Smith anyone?). Lots of options in the offseason

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
What does this mean for Vegas? They are not cap compliant?
I just heard a report that the NHL also screwed up bc they didn't have it or they didn't confirm the list with Vegas when they approved the trade. If Vegas never received the list from ott or the NHL than I don't really think this all falls on them. If the NHL itself didn't play a role in this screwup this deal would have been avoided yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad