TSN: Deadline || Captain Benning: The Winter Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Flames radio is just RIPPING on Benning and company.

You know it's bad when...

Ugh, **** Calgary. Your team had a huge head start on the Canucks in rebuilding, they've been terrible for years - besides a statistically flukey season last year - and yet they're STILL worse than the Canucks.

That's my only solace, that the Canucks are only just now terrible and they haven't had the chance to prove how incompetent they are even with the benefit of several top picks and an influx of young elite talent, unlike several other Canadian teams...

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Tickets to tonight's game for $12. Wow

Thanks Benning and co.

I am still not going though.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Ugh, **** Calgary. Your team had a huge head start on the Canucks in rebuilding, they've been terrible for years - besides a statistically flukey season last year - and yet they're STILL worse than the Canucks.

Only cause of the Sedins IMO, they're literally the only thing holding up this team

We're essentially the Flames back when they had Iggy and Phaneauf

EDIT: and our goaltending has been stealing games from time to time

Wellwood You

Dec 13, 2008
Burnaby, BC
Details please. This is all we have left.

Nothing we haven't seen here or on Twitter. Fan 960 is on in the background, so not fully listening, but:

"How do you end up with nothing? I can't believe they didn't trade Hamhuis or Vrbata"
Speculated that Aquilini tried to get greedy because it was Gaglardi and then it backfired. Then basically ridiculed that.

Pretty much the same stuff most rational Canucks fans are complaining about but it's odd hearing it from media commentators from another market.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

That's my only solace, that the Canucks are only just now terrible and they haven't had the chance to prove how incompetent they are even with the benefit of several top picks and an influx of young elite talent, unlike several other Canadian teams...

Their kids are going through school and we're still crowning

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
I was planning on getting a new Canuck jersey this year, but I've decided to delay that until I see any sort of promise/hope again from this franchise.

Unfortunately I also have tickets to an upcoming game as I'd prefer not to go at this point.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I really hate how people blame the previous regime for the NTCs and the inability to move them. Benning himself talks about how tough it is to make deals with NTCs.
That is absolutely ridiculous because good GMs can make it happen. Obviously, it affects the return but you can still get decent returns.

Martin St. Louis is probably the best example - a player puts one team on his trade list and they garner a very strong return for him in Callahan, a first and conditional second.

Spezza, Sharp, Phaneuf, Miller, Lecavalier, etc...

Benning himself has been able to get decent returns for his ntc players:

Kesler - if he didn't target Bonino, he probably would have gotten a better young guy than Sbisa

Bieksa - very fair return

Garrison - decent return at the time

Benning failing to get anything on deadline is inexcusable. People blame Gillis for handing out NTCs but Benning has done the same with Miller and Vrbata...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Specific circumstances must have been considerable.

No other team got worse than C. :laugh:

People blame Gillis for handing out NTCs but Benning has done the same with Miller and Vrbata...

Benning has signed 3 players of any relevance and all of them got NTCs. None of them gave us a discount. He is much worse than Gillis who was about average in terms of giving out NTCs (and well above average when considering the discounts he got from his players).

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Wouldn't go even if I was in Vancouver. There are much better ways to spend that $12.

Oh boy, you guys dont want to know what I spent for my tickets for the 5 games starting in a week. :banghead:

I should have known better, I actually did to be honest. I am just being stupid (and needed to plan it advance for the long trip)

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Perhaps, just MAYBE this colossal failure will lead to a big off season of actually smart moves.

I wont get my hopes up though

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
At least Flames radio says it like it is!

Team 1040 was defending linden/Benning the whole deadline day yesterday. Rose coloured glasses

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Has a guy like BobbyMac ever got an offer for a GM job?

Or is he even interested?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Has a guy like BobbyMac ever got an offer for a GM job?

Or is he even interested?

He's not qualified. That simple. To be honest, there are guys on this forum who are likely 10x as qualified as McKenzie is. And that's not because I think he's stupid or doesn't know hockey but simply because he doesn't have any of the necessary qualifications (including law or business experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad