TSN: Deadline || Captain Benning: The Winter Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hamhuis...not re-signing in Dallas. Who knows it's a great city. People who move there don't tend to move away.

Anyways. Tired of the Benning was handcuffed narrative. He had no more NTCs to deal with than any other GM. Most of them would have been given by any GM, others by many other GMs.

Benning was not handcuffed by NTCs. He was handcuffed by his mishandling of the cap making it impossible for him to take on contracts to up value. He was handcuffed by being just a piss poor negotiator. He handcuffed himself by waiting too long to make the decision to sell. He was handcuffed by other GMS knowing he is a poor negotiator. He was handcuffed by not being decisive and taking deals when they were offered. Etc.

I feel a bit bad that Benning sounds broken but I think he might just realize he's out of his depth right about now. He's on the top step right now.

800px-Peters_principle.svg.png

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
After Polak got two seconds, I am shocked your GM stood pat on a team clearing not making the playoffs, when he had a top pairing D and top 6 W available.

I thought for sure you guys were coming out of today with another 1st and 2nd round pick at the least.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
After Polak got two seconds, I am shocked your GM stood pat on a team clearing not making the playoffs, when he had a top pairing D and top 6 W available.

I thought for sure you guys were coming out of today with another 1st and 2nd round pick at the least.

We know how Benning stacks up compared to Lou Lam and Dubas.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

****Benning2k16. Honestly so pissed off. Can't believe my mind.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
How many parties do you need to raise the price?

Two.

Benning had Chicago and Dallas with extreme interest at several occasions. You can complain about there not being many buyers, but for a good negotiator, all you need are two teams to raise the stakes. Is it easier with 10? Sure. Is it impossible with 2? No.

This whole "buyer's market", "not a lot of teams interested" narrative is ******** because Benning had what he needed, two seriously interested teams.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Benning said he couldn't even get a 3rd or 4th for Hamhuis :laugh:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Can't believe they ****ed up this badly. Like holy ****!

All the teams clearly missing the playoffs got extra picks and Benning did squat

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Hamhuis...not re-signing in Dallas. Who knows it's a great city. People who move there don't tend to move away.

Anyways. Tired of the Benning was handcuffed narrative. He had no more NTCs to deal with than any other GM. Most of them would have been given by any GM, others by many other GMs.

Benning was not handcuffed by NTCs. He was handcuffed by his mishandling of the cap making it impossible for him to take on contracts to up value. He was handcuffed by being just a piss poor negotiator. He handcuffed himself by waiting too long to make the decision to sell. He was handcuffed by other GMS knowing he is a poor negotiator. He was handcuffed by not being decisive and taking deals when they were offered. Etc.

I feel a bit bad that Benning sounds broken but I think he might just be one of the rare people who realizes he is the Peter Principle personified. He's out of his depth and I think he's starting to realize it.

Guess who is waiting in the wings to swoop in when Benning gets the boot? Weisbrod. :laugh: :cry:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Curious any sources in Vancouver know what Hawks may have been offering when they circled back to talk to Benning before deadline?

I assume Bickell + and that Nucks ownership/Benning were unwilling to take Bickell

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It would be awesome if this team had clear direction on where it's going for the future.

Are we rebuilding? Next season are we going to try the same thing as this year? sign plugs and placeholders and make a (failed) playoff run?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

I feel a bit bad that Benning sounds broken but I think he might just realize he's out of his depth right about now. He's on the top step right now.

800px-Peters_principle.svg.png

I believe the Peter Principle is why Gilman didn't want to be a GM. He was happy where he was as AGM. He'd probably rather be GM than unemployed, fired at the hands of JB and Linden to make way for Weisebrod, though.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Benning has to be gone before FA. Getting utterly dominated by his peers and floundering out of his depth.

Seats are going to be empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad