TSN: Deadline || Captain Benning: The Winter Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Puck Daddy grades:

Vancouver Canucks: Well, that happened. The Canucks deny that there was a deal in place to trade Dan Hamhuis to the Dallas Stars before Vancouver reneged, but that’s out there. Radim Vrbata is still in Vancouver. So is Hamhuis. So is Jannik Hansen. Hunter Shinkaruk isn’t, which might end up being a mistake. Just a brutal deadline for a rudderless team. GRADE: D-minus

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...card--no--incompletes--allowed-011800004.html

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
If you listen to what Botch said last night, basically that deal was for Hamhuis and Dallas gave the deal to Calgary as a FU to the Canucks because the Canucks agreed on it and then came back asking for more.

If you listen to everyone else they're saying Dallas prefered Russell (Dreger, Mckenzie, Sekeres, IMac).

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Sekeres dropping some good details right now on 1040.

Canucks were focused on Hartman and Motte for prospects in the possible Chicago trade. Not Polka and Schmaltz as discussed here.

Dallas offer was a conditional 3rd (would become a 2nd if they made the finals) plus the same prospect/player as the Russell deal. Prospects coveted by the Canucks were Lindell, Johns and Dickinson.

Was the Dallas offer the final one? Or the one they had worked the framework on?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The biggest mistake was not taking Dano and a 1st from the Blackhawks. After they lost the Hawks, they had no leverage left with only one team to work with. Even if they didn't like Dano, you don't have leverage. You take that deal and run. You can move Dano later (to move up at the draft, etc.) if you don't want him.

Completely bungled like everything these fools do.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The only thing that realky matters to me is we had good pieces to move and came out behind.

Pathetic.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
The biggest mistake was not taking Dano and a 1st from the Blackhawks. After they lost the Hawks, they had no leverage left with only one team to work with. Even if they didn't like Dano, you don't have leverage. You take that deal and run. You can move Dano later (to move up at the draft, etc.) if you don't want him.

The Canucks were never offered a first, I think it was Dano and a 2nd? in hindsight I bet they would take that deal in a heartbeat.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It really is amazing how when there is time to make a deal management gets impatient and pounces, but when there's a real time crunch they drag it out and end up with nothing.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
At the end of the day the organization dropped the ball (badly)! Greed and incompetence to blame for all of this IMO.

This market/fan base needed something and we got nothing. One of the very few times where most of us would accept a rebuild... Sell, sell, sell! Get what you can and call it a day. Stock the cupboards with whatever pick you can, you can always turn around and package them for something better down the road.

Unacceptable on so many levels it's not even funny. It's a joke!

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Huh?

Are you talking about McKenzies comments a few hours ago?

If so it wasnt my take that he put much stock in the ownership meddling. In fact I think he was clear on ownership need to review and sign off on trades and this is completely normal.

Yeah...I really didn't do my homework at all. Just totally reacted.

Sorry guys.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Benning says he never had offers ... Then how about you make an offer!

Pick up the phone and say " hey, let's Make a deal.. Il offer you vrbata for a 4th rounder "

Do something! Sounds like he just sat there waiting for ppl to call him. That's not how you sell jim

He called the 8 teams, gave them the price, and several told him that Vrbata was the 3/4 choice. He never called back or heard from them again, per his interviews yesterday.

That's egregiously stupid management. You should have your #2 (Weisbrod... sigh) calling around all day. When Hudler goes for a 2nd and 4th you call someone and say, "Look, we'll give you Vrbata with retained salary for a 3rd." There is no reason at all not to be doing these things.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Also reported today that Benning had multiple teams call on Hansen. Did he see what Hansen's list was? No. Did he try to drive up the price to see what he could get? No. He just said he wasn't interested and that was that. Hansen isn't an indispensable piece of a team. How can you not even see what's out there or what you could get for him?

Flat out, Benning's GM work yesterday was equivalent to Willie's coaching last year in the playoffs: a complete abdication of his duties. It was a shameful, embarrassing performance. He's even more clueless than I thought. He's dumber than I thought. He's grossly incompetent and I can't imagine anyone defending his continued stewardship of this organization.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
He called the 8 teams, gave them the price, and several told him that Vrbata was the 3/4 choice. He never called back or heard from them again, per his interviews yesterday.

That's egregiously stupid management. You should have your #2 (Weisbrod... sigh) calling around all day. When Hudler goes for a 2nd and 4th you call someone and say, "Look, we'll give you Vrbata with retained salary for a 3rd." There is no reason at all not to be doing these things.

I agree, I think they all got caught up in trying to move Hamhuis which is unbelievably dumb.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

My thoughts too... JB work the Hamhuis trade and DW get Vrbata moved. Period. End of Day. I don't buy that there was no interest in Vrbata. We could've got at the very least a 4th rounder for him (maybe eating a tiny salary), that would still be better than watching him walk at the end of the season for nothing.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

Come on man.

How does Weisbrod even find the time to phone other teams when hes busy working Aquilinis number?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The Canucks were never offered a first, I think it was Dano and a 2nd? in hindsight I bet they would take that deal in a heartbeat.

Sekeres had it at 1st when he reported it (and seems to have some of these other offers down) but said the Canucks didn't like Dano. Even if it wasn't, I bet if you said, "We'll take a 1st and you can keep Dano" you'd get it done.

The flaw here is trying to accumulate other team's best prospects. That's just not happening unless you are trading a superstar. It's why this whole plan they sometimes go back to (and sometimes don't...) is laughable. You take the picks and run. It's how these things get done.

Benning should want these picks given how confident he is in his own drafting ability. The only reason he doesn't is because he's terrified he'll be fired before they're NHL players, so instead he's mortgaging the future of the team because he's too scared to get fired. That's embarrassing. At least Dave Nonis had the courage not to do that:. Benning is incompetent and a coward, and I won't spend a dime on this team while he's running it.

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Another huge mistake was just leaving it too long without a plan. The Canucks waited way too long to decide they were sellers and even approach Hamhuis. All the silly talk of playoffs was nonsense. They should have been planning and working on deals in advance like the Leafs and other teams have. They left themselves way to little time to work properly. Just poor planning all the time.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I can confirm that that is true. For some reason the Stars preferred Russell to Hammy.

Even if true, it doesn't matter. They had a deal in place. Was it the best deal? No. But they have zero leverage at that point. Jokipakka isn't amazing, but he's 24 and better than Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Biega. He'd be a fine bottom-pairing D next year, they'd get a pick they could either use or trade to move up, and a prospect.

Once they screwed up with Chicago they should have just moved on a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad