TSN: Deadline || Captain Benning: The Winter Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This cannot be said often enough (from the Puck Daddy report card):

Toronto Maple Leafs: The war chest grows. The Leafs secured three second-round picks in trades involving Roman Polak, Nick Spaling and Daniel Winnik. They acquired Brooks Laich and Connor Carrick from the Capitals. They keep making smart little decisions. It’s really starting to scare us. GRADE: A-minus

They keep making smart little decisions.

While I read this forum about how Benning is fine because (paraphrasing) "none of his moves in isolation have crippled the team".

And then I read someone quoting Bowie Horvat, and I am reminded it is just a game.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
He's not qualified. That simple. To be honest, there are guys on this forum who are likely 10x as qualified as McKenzie is. And that's not because I think he's stupid or doesn't know hockey but simply because he doesn't have any of the necessary qualifications (including law or business experience).

He does have common sense which Jimbo doesnt...

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
This cannot be said often enough (from the Puck Daddy report card):

They keep making smart little decisions.

While I read this forum about how Benning is fine because (paraphrasing) "none of his moves in isolation have crippled the team".

And then I read someone quoting Bowie Horvat, and I am reminded it is just a game.
Not managing to secure an additional 1st and 2nd in this year's draft set this team's rebuild/retool progress back two years.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Has a guy like BobbyMac ever got an offer for a GM job?

Or is he even interested?

Not sure where I read it but he was actually asked about it in an interview and pretty much said himself what Tirans was mentioning. He said its much easier talking about the stuff than doing it. He also said he doesnt even want such a job.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Sekeres just said on the radio that it wasn't a first, it was a second. I couldn't agree more....targeting another teams top prospects is one of the dumbest things you can do, teams fall in love with their top prospects and they are more likely to deal their first.

tell that to shinkaruk

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
He's not qualified. That simple. To be honest, there are guys on this forum who are likely 10x as qualified as McKenzie is. And that's not because I think he's stupid or doesn't know hockey but simply because he doesn't have any of the necessary qualifications (including law or business experience).

Also, guys in the media who come off as bright and well informed have the considerable advantage of having the chance to confer with tons of executives, coaches and scouts in forming their opinions.

Stick McKenzie inside an NHL organization (where he is cut of from the vast majority of the NHLs accumulated intelligence) and the network he uses now is of pretty limited utility. He might be able to stock a decent scouting department though.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
would love some details

They were not prepared.... waited too long to move on deals.

and have shown they are terrible at cutting deals.

once again the Canucks as they have been all through out there 46 years on this league close but could not come through in the clutch

They are truly the Chicago Cubs of the National Hockey League

Mark my words. if Benning misses the palyoffs next year. He and Willie are Done

pm for some details

hey, would love some details.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
Benning isn't an idiot, he sure as hell knows more about hockey than most people on this forum. With such limited knowledge on the situation, It is unfair to judge him. Clearly management thought it wasn't worth trading Hamhuis away for the offers provided. If we didn't get value equal value for Hammer then he wasn't going to be traded. This isn't a video game, guys have feelings and morale. So stop blaming Benning and understand that he made the best decision under the circumstances he faced.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Benning isn't an idiot, he sure as hell knows more about hockey than most people on this forum. With such limited knowledge on the situation, It is unfair to judge him. Clearly management thought it wasn't worth trading Hamhuis away for the offers provided. If we didn't get value equal value for Hammer then he wasn't going to be traded. This isn't a video game, guys have feelings and morale. So stop blaming Benning and understand that he made the best decision under the circumstances he faced.

Look Benning has hockey experience but Razor had it right when he said this season is done and to get nothing for Hammer is just a loss....period.

And GM's do get judged and either keep or lose their jobs on their performance plain and simple.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver

How many current GMs have those qualifications? Seems like a great number of them are ex-players who go straight into scouting and work their way up, but it's hard to find any info on their educational background. Would be interested to know how it breaks down.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

I do believe there's more going on here than has been reported. Perhaps I may rethink my stance on ownership interference. And I strongly disagree with labeling people in such derogatory, insulting terms. I've liked a fair bit of what Benning & co have done but yesterday was an unmitigated disaster, as well as an abject failure, for this organization. There's simply no other way to look at it.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Not sure where I read it but he was actually asked about it in an interview and pretty much said himself what Tirans was mentioning. He said its much easier talking about the stuff than doing it. He also said he doesnt even want such a job.

Bob Mack probably has enough much fun watching these GMs murder each other and waste away. GM-ing is a nasty business - just look at these GMs for an example!

0TnvmBx.jpg

Would you want the same thing to happen to Bob? :sarcasm:

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
Look Benning has hockey experience but Razor had it right when he said this season is done and to get nothing for Hammer is just a loss....period.

And GM's do get judged and either keep or lose their jobs on their performance plain and simple.

I agree but Benning obviously had his reasons for not trading Hammer and Vrbata.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013

Look at the body of work since he's taken the job.

You let us know how you feel about all his trades, one by one, I don't believe he's won one yet, I feel like the first reaction is he lost the trade. One trade isn't a big deal, but when you look back on it and go, wow, its now 2 years of nothing... 2 years of nothing = 2 years wasted. I'm not willing to waste more time doing nothing. Time to do something.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Bob Mack probably has enough much fun watching these GMs murder each other and waste away. GM-ing is a nasty business - just look at these GMs for an example!

0TnvmBx.jpg

Would you want the same thing to happen to Bob? :sarcasm:

Oh my god his tie turned black!

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
Look at the body of work since he's taken the job.

You let us know how you feel about all his trades, one by one, I don't believe he's won one yet, I feel like the first reaction is he lost the trade. One trade isn't a big deal, but when you look back on it and go, wow, its now 2 years of nothing... 2 years of nothing = 2 years wasted. I'm not willing to waste more time doing nothing. Time to do something.

We don't really have the assets too benefit from trades. What do you expect? I think he won on Shinkaruk too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland