TSN: Deadline || Captain Benning: The Winter Blunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
The only way Benning could be competent enough to be a GM is if he was surrounded by a crew of intelligent hockey people who did most of the leg work while he went on scouting missions. It's actually quite sad that someone who spent so much time as an assistant is so unprepared for the duties of a general manager. He is out of his element in pretty much every department with the exception of scouting.

Unfortunately he is too stupid to actually surround himself with smart hockey people and there is no one to save his ass or do the leg work on important decisions. The moment that Benning hired Weisbrod is the moment he sealed his fate as a total failure of a GM. This was his one opportunity to be a GM and it's quite clear why it took so long for someone to actually hire him. I honestly hope he resigns and goes back to a scouting role with another organization where he belongs. Would be a lot less messy for everyone if he just moves along now and accepts that he's not cut out for general manager duties.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Further evidence of this management group lacking in talent is all of the money they threw at mediocre defensemen, when they had a better one in Biega playing in the AHL.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
... and the one 'good' move you refer to in Vrbata, the guy is apparently untradeable by the 2nd year of his contract.

That was still a decent move, but Vrbata's performance this year takes some of the shine off that signing.

Jury is still out on much. Baertschi trade, Pedan trade, and the drafting thus far looks good however.

Personally I loved moving Garrison and Bieksa out for 2nd rounders as well.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Look he makes a lot of money being a GM and he didn't get there by being a stupid lucky idiot. He knows hockey.

Does not change the fact that he had a very bad week. His voice and body language looked defeated at the press conference.

Going into trade deadline with 6 UFAs, 2 of them prominent in TSN's top 10 trade dealine targets, and coming away with nothing except losing Cracknell to waivers is simply not good work by a GM for a rebuilding non playoff team.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Jury is still out on much. Baertschi trade, Pedan trade, and the drafting thus far looks good however.

In the case of Garrison, I would argue that a top 4 defenseman has more value than a single 2nd round pick. Look at what Polak was able to bring in.

This was Benning's first example of selling assets short of what they are worth. His list of similar moves has only continued to grow.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
In the case of Garrison, I would argue that a top 4 defenseman has more value than a single 2nd round pick. Look at what Polak was able to bring again.

This was Benning's first example of selling assets short of what they are worth. His list of similar moves has only continued to grow.

At the time of that trade Garrison went for almost exactly market value. Polak was traded at the tdl - different market. I've debated this endlessly, not super interested in rehashing old arguments ad nauseum. I felt then, and still feel, that was among Benning's best moves. The Bieksa trade was also very good.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Well, maybe those might seem better if he hadn't immediately given away one of those #2 picks for Linden Vey and needlessly tossed the other one into the Sutter deal.

Garrison and Bieksa for Vey and a 3rd doesn't seem quite so good.

And Garrison for a 2nd wasn't good, anyway.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
I just woke up today feeling absolutely empty. Almost like the day after the 2011 Final.

I mean, there is hope in some of our prospects. But when you look at the arms race around you:

The Oilers have a rail gun invented in 2104.
The Flames have a raptor tri-wielding 4 laser machine guns.
The Canucks have a water pistol that is jammed with meat & potato residue because Benning tried to literally shoot his enemies with it.

This is death by 1000 cuts.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
I just woke up today feeling absolutely empty. Almost like the day after the 2011 Final.

I mean, there is hope in some of our prospects. But when you look at the arms race around you:

The Canucks have a water pistol that is jammed with meat & potato residue because Benning tried to literally shoot his enemies with it.

Did you sleep for 48 hours?

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Can we stop this "Good at scouting/drafting" Narrative??

We have had a couple good picks, but seriously, there's been nothing to indicate that Benning has drafted well.

Drafting: He took Virtanen over Ehlers, Nylander, and Ritchie. Consensus picks.

He wasn't able to scout Biega, in his own farm team, as being better than the likes of Weber.

Pro Scouting: Clenndenning. Sutter. Sbisa. Vey.

This guy is a farce in every aspect of his job IMO. Virtanen could become a decent player and all, but all signs pointed to Elhers at the draft and it's looking more like that now.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Yeah. This team would hate to have a 6'3 220 lb defensemen right now for a 2nd.

It was a stupid, pointless move.

Also. Garrison >>> Sbisa

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah. This team would hate to have a 6'3 220 lb defensemen right now for a 2nd.

It was a stupid, pointless move.

Also. Garrison >>> Sbisa

Moving out veterans for picks & prospects is exactly what this team needed to do. Again, reaaaaallly don't want to get into a Garrison debate again. Not sure how Bieksa for a 2nd is a 'home run' but an almost identical move a year earlier is the worst move of all time.

Moving on...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not sure how Bieksa for a 2nd is a 'home run' but an almost identical move a year earlier is the worst move of all time.

If anything, I have always understood the reasoning behind dealing Garrison.

I have NEVER said moving Garrison was the 'worst move of all time' - what Benning did after that "WAS" (eg., Pizza getting that cap money essentially).

Garrison is still a #4 D (however ordinary). Bieksa belongs on the 3rd pairing at this point (and at the point he was dealt).

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Are we below those teams in the standings. I be heard this story befofe.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
For once in my life, all I want to be is a loser. :(

Funny it took 5 years for edmonton to actually get a good player.

Hall
eberle
and rnh will suck lemons in the playoffs.

Its sad our fans want to be edmonton and not LA with horvat as kopitar and chychurn as doughty.

Demko obviously quick.

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Funny it took 5 years for edmonton to actually get a good player.

Hall
eberle
and rnh will suck lemons in the playoffs.

Its sad our fans want to be edmonton and not LA with horvat as kopitar and chychurn as doughty.

Demko obviously quick.

I don't think it's like that.

You would've picked Hall/Seguin in that draft if you had the Oilers pick.
Only players you'd take over Eberle in the 2008 draft at 22nd Overall would be Josi or Holtby.
RNH still needs a few years to figure out his story.

Of course we want to be LA. But you have to be in the position to pick those players that LA has, haha.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
He's not qualified. That simple. To be honest, there are guys on this forum who are likely 10x as qualified as McKenzie is. And that's not because I think he's stupid or doesn't know hockey but simply because he doesn't have any of the necessary qualifications (including law or business experience).

Not that I think McKenzie should be working for an NHL team, but there's guys on this forum that have experience running pro sports franchises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille