Online Series: De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and Martin Scorsese "The Irishman"

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think Pesci wll get his best supporting actor nomination, this is gonna be it for him. I thought he was really good but like was pointed out, you can see he's looking at cue cards sometimes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wasn't Pesci retired before this role?

He came out of retirement specifically for this role

Being away for so long and being old is likely a reason cue cards would have been needed

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
It was good, but not great. I want to watch it again, but 3.5 hours is a long time. It took me 4 nights to finish,

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It was good, but not great. I want to watch it again, but 3.5 hours is a long time. It took me 4 nights to finish,

It’s definitely long, but 4 nights? Might have been better waiting for a time where you could at least break it into just 2 slots. Not saying you would have liked it more, but there’s no way breaking things up that much enhances the experience.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
It’s definitely long, but 4 nights? Might have been better waiting for a time where you could at least break it into just 2 slots. Not saying you would have liked it more, but there’s no way breaking things up that much enhances the experience.

That's what I am hoping next time.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Was anyone else a little surprised by the lack of sexuality in the movie? An R rated mob movie in 2019 and not a single love scene or any innuendo. Thought that was interesting

They stayed true to the book and Sheeran's telling of it. I've read quite a few books about Hoffa and NONE of them ever had the extra-marital trysts, strip club hangouts or lounge lizard bimbos hanging around. These main guys portrayed in the Irishman were all business. Hoffa himself didn't drink or smoke. He lived a workaholic lifestyle and at the end of the day, he went home to Jo.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Watched it last night and I liked it. Watched it all last night while playing online poker :laugh:

I'm a big mobster movie fan, so I wasn't bored but I can understand the complaint from others who aren't into the genre.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Watched it last night and I liked it. Watched it all last night while playing online poker :laugh:

I'm a big mobster movie fan, so I wasn't bored but I can understand the complaint from others who aren't into the genre.

You weren't bored but you were playing online poker... How much of a film's experience can you absorb while playing poker? And you say you liked it? :huh:

This really makes zero sense to me! :laugh:

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
You weren't bored but you were playing online poker... How much of a film's experience can you absorb while playing poker? And you say you liked it? :huh:

This really makes zero sense to me! :laugh:

The big TV is right in front of me while I'm on the laptop. Pretty easy to pay attention to both.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I guess if I had watched it while playing Zelda on my Switch I may have a better opinion of it as well. Would have made it go faster.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I have a Christmas tradition

I watch godfather 1 and 2, goodfellas and once upon a time in America

This movie won't be replacing these movies anytime soon

My problem is they played with history too much

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Part of me wishes Harvey Keitel was given the Joe Pesci role. Pesci is great in The Irishman, no question. But from Mean Streets on, De Niro and Keitel have always been linked in my mind. In terms of talent there is very little to choose between them, and yet De Niro was like the favoured child whose career soared while Keitel remained, unfairly, something of a journeyman. They both came of age in Mean Streets; it would have been nice to see them close the circle together in The Irishman.

Keitel's performance in Bad Lieutenant is one of the best I've ever seen. Perfectly over-the-top for the role.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I have a Christmas tradition

I watch godfather 1 and 2, goodfellas and once upon a time in America

This movie won't be replacing these movies anytime soon

My problem is they played with history too much

I couldn't get through that one

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Finished watching it last night, didn't care for it as I thought it was boring. I like Al but Jack was a way better Hoffa imo, although it's been a lot time since i've seen that movie.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Same, except I watched it in one sitting. There's a fine line between deliberate and boring/uninteresting, and this film frequently crossed it. That said, I'd like to see it again now that I'm familiar with its pacing.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

I thought it was very well done. The general storyline stayed true to the book. It didn't force any sex, drugs or gambling as other classic mafia films have. Those films have some timeless, memorable scenes that stick out in people's minds. There also wasn't any over the top violence like the bar scene in a Bronx Tale, or Sonny getting blown away on the causeway. This was a dialogue-heavy thinking man's film and it was very easy to miss certain nuances and demeanors if you weren't paying attention.

I think history will judge it better long term than now.

Reactions: Tuggy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i think part of why I didn't care for it was reading that article that says the whole thing is bull shit that he made up and there's no evidence to support this. I sure can believe the mob had Hoffa killed but did this guy do it, along with all the other things he says.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
i think part of why I didn't care for it was reading that article that says the whole thing is bull **** that he made up and there's no evidence to support this. I sure can believe the mob had Hoffa killed but did this guy do it, along with all the other things he says.

This is definitely part of the problem with the film, and it's compounded by the fact that Frank isn't a particularly interesting character to begin with.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad