Online Series: De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and Martin Scorsese "The Irishman"

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
i think part of why I didn't care for it was reading that article that says the whole thing is bull **** that he made up and there's no evidence to support this. I sure can believe the mob had Hoffa killed but did this guy do it, along with all the other things he says.

The prevailing theory is that Sally Bugs most likely did it. I don't think anyone actually believes it was Sheeran.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The prevailing theory is that Sally Bugs most likely did it. I don't think anyone actually believes it was Sheeran.

The moment the book came out it was more less disproved. Sheeran wanted to leave money to his kids. One daughter was still on speaking terms.

Now that the movie has been out for awhile I can go into more details one some major things.

The big one being his involvement with the Crazy Joe killing. He was not involved in it in any way shape or form

Gallo was under FBI and NYPD observation when he got shot. Retired NYPD detective Joe Coffey was considered an expert in mob hits in NYC in the 70s. And when 'I hear you paint housed' came out he took a part about 60% the claims made in the book. According to Coffey and several FBI agents. Shereen was a fall down drunk who was a puppet for other people. Even in the book he was vague with details of other murders he claimed to gave done

The life of Joe Coffey is one I want to see. His hatred of the mob comes from the fact his father was killed by them

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This is definitely part of the problem with the film, and it's compounded by the fact that Frank isn't a particularly interesting character to begin with.
I thought that Frank himself was a complete non-entity. He has none of Ace Rothstein's authority, none of Jimmy Conway's menace, he's just there. He just starts doing mob stuff...because he does. He meets Russel randomly at gas station then starts doing mob hits. Okay. I realize real life isn't like the movies, but as a movie character it's just not compelling. Al Pacino was just Al Pacino at his Al Pacino shoutiest. No idea why people were lauding his Jimmy Hoffa. He does that in like every movie he's in. Hated the digital de-aging. Looked like Robert De Niro spent most of the movie wearing a rubber Robert De Niro mask from 1990.

Really thought this movie was an overlong, overrated crashing bore.

And I think this is about the fifth or sixth mobster version of what happened to Jimmy Hoffa that I've seen or read. According to Richard Kuklinski he was stuck in a car crusher.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I thought that Frank himself was a complete non-entity. He has none of Ace Rothstein's authority, none of Jimmy Conway's menace, he's just there. He just starts doing mob stuff...because he does. He meets Russel randomly at gas station then starts doing mob hits. Okay. I realize real life isn't like the movies, but as a movie character it's just not compelling. Al Pacino was just Al Pacino at his Al Pacino shoutiest. No idea why people were lauding his Jimmy Hoffa. He does that in like every movie he's in. Hated the digital de-aging. Looked like Robert De Niro spent most of the movie wearing a rubber Robert De Niro mask from 1990.

Really thought this movie was an overlong, overrated crashing bore.

And I think this is about the fifth or sixth mobster version of what happened to Jimmy Hoffa that I've seen or read. According to Richard Kuklinski he was stuck in a car crusher.

A few years ago I read a book written by 2 agents who worked on the Hoffa case for years and they said that one day in the early 80's, the deputy director of the FBI came into their office and shut down their unit. Officially it was because it was being moved to being a cold case. But they found out later a top mobster had flipped and that is when Tony Pro, Sally Buggs and a couple of other guys were all named as suspects and that was that. While officially it is still open, most FBI guys from that era and were involved agree they know the who, the what and most of the where. They just have no idea where Hoffa is buried. There are three mobsters from that era that are alive and are talking and surprisingly they are telling a smilier story. Frank Collotta, Michael Franzese and a third guy who's name slips my mind right now. They all say it was Pro and Buggs who arranged it.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
A few years ago I read a book written by 2 agents who worked on the Hoffa case for years and they said that one day in the early 80's, the deputy director of the FBI came into their office and shut down their unit. Officially it was because it was being moved to being a cold case. But they found out later a top mobster had flipped and that is when Tony Pro, Sally Buggs and a couple of other guys were all named as suspects and that was that. While officially it is still open, most FBI guys from that era and were involved agree they know the who, the what and most of the where. They just have no idea where Hoffa is buried. There are three mobsters from that era that are alive and are talking and surprisingly they are telling a smilier story. Frank Collotta, Michael Franzese and a third guy who's name slips my mind right now. They all say it was Pro and Buggs who arranged it.
Yeah, but how much credit do you really give those guys though? Personally I think the only guys who will ever really know what happened to Hoffa are the people who did the job. Might as well believe whatever story you like because imho the truth is we're never really going to know the truth.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah, but how much credit do you really give those guys though? Personally I think the only guys who will ever really know what happened to Hoffa are the people who did the job. Might as well believe whatever story you like because imho the truth is we're never really going to know the truth.

3 guys 3 differernt families. They make it clear they were not involved in it, they make it clear Sheeran was also not involved and they all say "go check what the former feds even said on the subject"

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
3 guys 3 differernt families. They make it clear they were not involved in it, they make it clear Sheeran was also not involved and they all say "go check what the former feds even said on the subject"
3 guys in 3 families who weren't involved but all know who was? Yeah, okay.

Dude, they're never going to to really tell us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad