Online Series: De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and Martin Scorsese "The Irishman"

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
The CGI early on was kind of distracting. There were also a few scenes where DeNiros age physically showed, like the scene where he beat up the shopkeep, him kicking the guy was hilariously fake. He also clearly had a grandpa bod and not a mob enforcer bod.

Good story though, first 30 minutes was a little slow, but pace kept up for most of the rest of the movie.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Meh. It was something to watch but people acting like it was Goodfellas level are crazy. Bunch of washed up actors giving it their last go. Seemed low budget at times like the gas station scene. I just wanted it to end with 30 minutes left.

Reactions: SteveH124

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Meh. It was something to watch but people acting like it was Goodfellas level are crazy. Bunch of washed up actors giving it their last go. Seemed low budget at times like the gas station scene. I just wanted it to end with 30 minutes left.

Highly disagree with the notion that these actors are washed up. Certainly not what they once were, but that doesn't make them washed up either.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Highly disagree with the notion that these actors are washed up. Certainly not what they once were, but that doesn't make them washed up either.
Unless they grow infirm and can no longer learn their lines, I don't think actors get "washed up." Some even get better with age. A few particular roles require age and experience. Few great actors would even consider doing King Lear, for one example, before their 60s or even a little later. Actors may fall out of popular favour or find there is less demand for their services, but Ian McKellan, Christopher Plummer, Judy Dench, Bill Nighy, Jean Louis Trintignant, and Helen Mirren and a host of others still have a lot to offer their profession. Nighy, for one, is better than he has ever been. One of the best biting comedies on Netflix right now is The Kominsky Method with Michael Douglas (75) and Alan Alda (85). It's more a question of opportunity than it is anything else.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Part of me wishes Harvey Keitel was given the Joe Pesci role. Pesci is great in The Irishman, no question. But from Mean Streets on, De Niro and Keitel have always been linked in my mind. In terms of talent there is very little to choose between them, and yet De Niro was like the favoured child whose career soared while Keitel remained, unfairly, something of a journeyman. They both came of age in Mean Streets; it would have been nice to see them close the circle together in The Irishman.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

Maybe washed up isn't the word. They can obviously still act but didn't fit the role. I mean when you can't even pretend stomp somebody out anymore just give it up. Like I said it's a bunch of old timers giving it one last go. Something to watch but nothing great.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Maybe washed up isn't the word. They can obviously still act but didn't fit the role. I mean when you can't even pretend stomp somebody out anymore just give it up. Like I said it's a bunch of old timers giving it one last go. Something to watch but nothing great.

Yeah, but the physical parts like that were such a small part of the story that I don't see a huge issue with it. They were ridiculous, but it was such a small portion of what the story was actually about, I didn't mind it all that much. And I blame that failure on Scorsese anyway. He should have found a different way to have those scenes done.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Part of me wishes Harvey Keitel was given the Joe Pesci role. Pesci is great in The Irishman, no question. But from Mean Streets on, De Niro and Keitel have always been linked in my mind. In terms of talent there is very little to choose between them, and yet De Niro was like the favoured child whose career soared while Keitel remained, unfairly, something of a journeyman. They both came of age in Mean Streets; it would have been nice to see them close the circle together in The Irishman.

This is not a popular opinion in film circles, but I was very underwhelmed by Keitel's performance in Mean Streets. He was given the chance to carry the film but was ultimately overshadowed by Deniro and Scorsese himself, and the movie suffers as a result. I have no idea if that played into Marty's decision to relegate him to supporting roles in subsequent films, but it's an interesting topic to debate.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is not a popular opinion in film circles, but I was very underwhelmed by Keitel's performance in Mean Streets. He was given the chance to carry the film but was ultimately overshadowed by Deniro and Scorsese himself, and the movie suffers as a result. I have no idea if that played into Marty's decision to relegate him to supporting roles in subsequent films, but it's an interesting topic to debate.
Didn't see it that way at all. I felt Keitel provided a rock solid "guilty Catholic" foundation that helped make it possible for De Niro to really sink his teeth into what was a fat, fat role, one that was bound to steal the show or come close to it. I thought they were equally brilliant in Mean Streets, just in different ways.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
It was literally one scene with one actor. Pesci/Pacino had non of that crap intertwine with their characters. Anyways Pesci''s performance was a stand out for me especially the end of the movie when he is in prison and his inability to move due to his condition and age while eating the bread capped off a really amazing performance.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
When I think about it, reviewing Scorsese's catalog makes me appreciate Brian De Palma a lot more than he's probably worth. But Carlito's Way and The Untouchables are good films.

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought it was just ok. Fell asleep in several parts, and like others have said the CGI was awful. Decent movie but not the blockbuster it's being made out to be.
I really have nothing to add to either of these comments. De Palma's filmography is staggering to me. The Irishman was ok, I found it extremely depressing—something I’m generally fine with if it’s worth it; This didn’t feel worth how miserable it was.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, thank you very much. I feel a lot less alone in this thread. :)

I might've backed you up earlier if you hadn't been so hyperbolic ("De Palma >>>> Scorsese") ;). I'm not a big De Palma fan, but I've never been bored during his films or disappointed afterwards, which is something that I can't say for Scorsese.

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Did anyone else find Pesci and Pacino's characters clamoring for Denerio's daughter affection creepy?
No. With DeNiro, it's his daughter so it's understandable that he wants to repair what seems like a rocky relationship. With Pesci it's just evidence of how much he cared about Frank that he wanted to be accepted by the whole family. I don't think there was anything more to it than that.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The CGI early on was kind of distracting. There were also a few scenes where DeNiros age physically showed, like the scene where he beat up the shopkeep, him kicking the guy was hilariously fake. He also clearly had a grandpa bod and not a mob enforcer bod.

Good story though, first 30 minutes was a little slow, but pace kept up for most of the rest of the movie.

Thats why they should have made this 10 years ago, or even before that.

Did anyone else find Pesci and Pacino's characters clamoring for Denerio's daughter affection creepy?

in Hoffa's case his kids were out of the house so maybe he just missed having kids? There are older people who are like that in reality, after their kids are gone they miss having them around and tend to want to be around kids, especially ones whoa re like family to them. He was pretty much that rich uncle who spoils you.

Pesci as well, Buffalino had no kids (I think they said as much in the movie) so he treated them like his own, especially due to his respect of Frank and their friendship. He probably just wanted to know what it was like to have that affection between parent and child.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No. With DeNiro, it's his daughter so it's understandable that he wants to repair what seems like a rocky relationship. With Pesci it's just evidence of how much he cared about Frank that he wanted to be accepted by the whole family. I don't think there was anything more to it than that.

It was a little creepy. I was wondering if they were suggesting or alluding to something but ultimately it didn't end up that way.

I think it's supposed to be reflective of the fact that, while DeNiro seemed to think that everything was fine within his family, even his kids were aware that Pesci was a hardened criminal and a frightening man, much like Frank, while Hoffa was seen as sort of a successful and charming personality.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I might've backed you up earlier if you hadn't been so hyperbolic ("De Palma >>>> Scorsese") ;). I'm not a big De Palma fan, but I've never been bored during his films or disappointed afterwards, which is something that I can't say for Scorsese.

Good thing I didn't go full in then. :sarcasm:

Ferrara >>>> Scorsese too!

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It was literally one scene with one actor. Pesci/Pacino had non of that crap intertwine with their characters. Anyways Pesci''s performance was a stand out for me especially the end of the movie when he is in prison and his inability to move due to his condition and age while eating the bread capped off a really amazing performance.

It wasn't one scene. Like somebody above said De Niro wasn't believable as mob enforcer with his grandpa body. It was something to watch but people are caught up in the moment and going overboard. This movie won't be talked about with the greats in a year.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
It wasn't one scene. Like somebody above said De Niro wasn't believable as mob enforcer with his grandpa body. It was something to watch but people are caught up in the moment and going overboard. This movie won't be talked about with the greats in a year.

To quote my comment on the film in the last movie you've seen thread: walking has never been so challenging for these tough guys.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Was anyone else a little surprised by the lack of sexuality in the movie? An R rated mob movie in 2019 and not a single love scene or any innuendo. Thought that was interesting
That's a very interesting point. Except for the wives and children in the background, The Irishman is not only a very male-centric movie, it is also free of glamour or romance, and I think that is intentional on the part of Scorsese. It is a view of masculinity devoid of any redeeming qualities outside of possibly misguided loyalty. Part of it could relate to the age of the actors, too, but I think the older Scorsese is presenting a much different and more severe look at this world of Mafia sociopaths than he presented in either Mean Streets or Goodfellas. There is nothing cool or sexy about any of these guys or the life they lead. I actually think this is one of the significant achievements of the movie.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The movie left me lacking. I had very high Hope's for it hit it landed flat for me.

While it is not a bad movie it is not the great movie some are trying to make it out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->