Movies: DC Universe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Does hiring James Gunn mean that future DC movies will be more colorful, quirky humor, have lots of pop culture references, and accompanied by obscure music soundtracks?
The tone should be based on the character’s personality. Batman is known as being brooding. Not changing that. Superman the Boy Scout, see the best in everyone.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That was suggested last year. All main people involved have clauses in their contracts for healthy raises. WW1984 cost 200mill to make but only took in 170mill.

There have been suggestions on comic geek boy websites that we could see another reboot of several popular characters.

Black Adam has not been a big enough hit for the company.

Next March their next movie gets released. Shazam Fury of the Gods and that could be interesting to see how it does and how it reflects on what the DCEU does.

The next Batman movie looks to be coming in 2025

It will be interesting to see just what Gunn and co have in mind and if Geoff Johns will have a bigger or smaller role

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Key points from the article;

• James Gunn and Peter Safran will present their DCU blueprint to David Zaslav (WBD CEO) next week
  • Henry Cavill filmed a Superman cameo for The Flash in September, but it might be cut because Man of Steel 2 is no longer in active development
  • Andy Muschietti, who directed The Flash, was interested in directing MOS 2
  • WB toyed with bringing back the existing cast members for another Justice League movie
  • Black Adam 2 is unlikely
  • Jason Momoa could be recast as Aquaman and play Lobo instead
  • As of now, Matt Reeves’ The Batman sequel and spin-offs are unaffected
Sounds like Gunn was really given the keys and will be throwing out everything sans the stuff he's worked on and Pattinson's Batman which quite honestly should be his "Iron Man" in the sense you use it as a building block. The Batman was fantastic. Shame because Wonder Woman was actually legitimately enjoyable and they completely blew their foots off with whatever the f*** WW84 was.

I trust Gunn though. Give that man the carte blanche and watch the magic happen. If he can turn a bunch of C tier characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy into what he did, imagine what he can do for Superman and the lik.

Use Flashpoint to close this shitty chapter, let the man start fresh. Or just nuke it like you did with Batgirl. I honestly have no desire to see what will likely be a trash Flash movie.

Reactions: Jussi

archangel2

May 19, 2019

• James Gunn and Peter Safran will present their DCU blueprint to David Zaslav (WBD CEO) next week
  • Henry Cavill filmed a Superman cameo for The Flash in September, but it might be cut because Man of Steel 2 is no longer in active development
  • WB toyed with bringing back the existing cast members for another Justice League movie
Sounds like Gunn was really given the keys and will be throwing out everything sans the stuff he's worked on and Pattinson's Batman which quite honestly should be his "Iron Man" in the sense you use it as a building block. The Batman was fantastic. Shame because Wonder Woman was actually legitimately enjoyable and they completely blew their foots off with whatever the f*** WW84 was.

I trust Gunn though. Give that man the carte blanche and watch the magic happen. If he can turn a bunch of C tier characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy into what he did, imagine what he can do for Superman and the lik.

Use Flashpoint to close this shitty chapter, let the man start fresh. Or just nuke it like you did with Batgirl. I honestly have no desire to see what will likely be a trash Flash movie.
They have actually, very quietly removed Flash 2 from there release schedule. It had been moved around a few times but it has now been dropped. Most of us agree, they are going to recast after the first movie comes out and may wait five years to do a reboot

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That was suggested last year. All main people involved have clauses in their contracts for healthy raises. WW1984 cost 200mill to make but only took in 170mill.

There have been suggestions on comic geek boy websites that we could see another reboot of several popular characters.

Black Adam has not been a big enough hit for the company.

Next March their next movie gets released. Shazam Fury of the Gods and that could be interesting to see how it does and how it reflects on what the DCEU does.

The next Batman movie looks to be coming in 2025

It will be interesting to see just what Gunn and co have in mind and if Geoff Johns will have a bigger or smaller role
I figured this would happen but to be fair with the last Wonder Woman movie, it was square in the COVID zone, if I recall I could not even go see it in theaters here. That being said it was nowhere near as good as the first one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Best
To start from scratch if the goal is to have a trilogy for the key characters and the JL team up. How many more of these films will Gadot, Cavill, Mamoa, Pattinson and co do moving forward? Need to have a plan.

Also fine to keep each one as a solo stand alone film without tying back into the other franchises.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Cavill officially done as superman, DC is such a mess, I guess this is the start of clearing the entire thing. Give me Cavill as James Bond!

Why even bother bringing him back for that Black Adam cameo, they really don't act like they know what they are doing

Last edited:

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Cavill officially done as superman, DC is such a mess, I guess this is the start of clearing the entire thing. Give me Cavill as James Bond!

Why even bother bringing him back for that Black Adam cameo, they really don't act like they know what they are doing

So who will he be in the MCU?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So who will he be in the MCU?
That Cameo was filmed and put in as an after thought--they cgid his face on the body.

The bigger question is does this mean he will now be edited out of the Flash and Aquaman movies. Even though The Flash has been in the can for a year now--they are doing re-edits on it again and it sounds like both Keaton's Batman and Superman are getting trimmed

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

*insert sad John Campea face here*

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
And just like that Cavill is out 2 months after he was told he was back...DC is such a mess. I know Gunn and co are trying to build a new universe but I wish them luck as it won't be easy. Starting over yet again, people will be tired of it.

I actually liked Cavill as Superman, but if they're going to basically wipe the slate clean I get not bringing him back.
Seems so but will be weird to see Mamoa as Lobo if it is true that he is coming back as a new character after being Aquaman and still having an Aquaman movie coming out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gunn makes good movies, but he's a sick and twisted individual.

Feel bad for Cavill. Left The Witcher for this, only to get canned.
I think for the Witcher, the writers/producers were moving away from the original concept of the story/arc or something. Cavill will be fine. I mean, right now the DCEU has not clear direction and have to still pump out a couple of movies that they have already filmed.

Cavill is 39, turning 40 in May next year. Hugh Jackson filed Logan in like 2016 when he was 47 as it was released in 2017 when he was 48. If Gunn intends on rebooting everything, he can do so and that would take until 2024/2025 for the next Superman movie to be released. If there is a plan to have another JL movie down the line, you want to have actors signed onto still do the project.

That's why IMO, John Krasinksi, who is 43 now and Emily Blunt who is 39 probably don't make sense to be part of the F4 cast if they need them around for 8 years or longer.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think for the Witcher, the writers/producers were moving away from the original concept of the story/arc or something. Cavill will be fine. I mean, right now the DCEU has not clear direction and have to still pump out a couple of movies that they have already filmed.

Cavill is 39, turning 40 in May next year. Hugh Jackson filed Logan in like 2016 when he was 47 as it was released in 2017 when he was 48. If Gunn intends on rebooting everything, he can do so and that would take until 2024/2025 for the next Superman movie to be released. If there is a plan to have another JL movie down the line, you want to have actors signed onto still do the project.

That's why IMO, John Krasinksi, who is 43 now and Emily Blunt who is 39 probably don't make sense to be part of the F4 cast if they need them around for 8 years or longer.
Hey who is Hugh Jackson?

Now Hugh Jackman is back as Wolverine for Deadpool 3 but I have a feeling it will be a 1 and done thing.

Reactions: Jussi

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

That's too bad.

I thought he did a good job.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hey who is Hugh Jackson?

Now Hugh Jackman is back as Wolverine for Deadpool 3 but I have a feeling it will be a 1 and done thing.
Spelling mistake.

But, in the end, these super hero characters, for the most part now require the actor to be in amazing physical shape, which becomes harder to do when the actors hit their mid 40's and onwards. RDJ played Ironman until his early 50's but because his character was in a suit of armour he didn't have to be as buff as actors would need to be for Thor, Captain America, Superman, Batman, etc.

Cavill first signed onto Superman back in like 2011/2012 and Man of Steel was released in 2013. He was 30 at the time when it got released. I think he expected to be done playing Superman by around age 40-42 realistically. RJD starred in Ironman in 2008 which was released when he was 43. End Game was released in 2019, but filmed back in like 2017, when he was early 50's. Again, difference is the physical appearance as one needs to be jacked while the other is in a suit of armour, so the fitness standard is lower.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad