Movies: DC Universe

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You keep viewing this as a zero-sum game when it isn't.

Say we're kids again and you have a Superman toy and I have a Superman toy. When you want to play with your Superman you want him to protect Metropolis from Lex Luthor and you stick to all the rules you know in the comics. When I play with my Superman, I decide he's actually best friends with Lex Luthor and they solve crimes together while they fly around space in the Millennium Falcon.

I haven't changed your Superman at all. Your Superman still exists. I'm just choosing to do something different with mine. You don't want to play with me, fine! But I haven't actually impacted your ability to play with your Superman as you see fit. Enjoy it! :D

I'd watch a show called Winter Falcon and Furry Nick.

We're not talking about something that we can make up our own stories about, though. We don't have the choice to shape things to our tastes like a kid with a toy and an imagination. We rely on others to bring us new stories. Our enjoyment depends on those new stories being good and what we want to see. If they aren't, we can't just make our own (fan fiction, not withstanding). That's why we complain online.

Remember how you amusingly declared "NOT MY WICKET" after watching the Ewoks movies last month? I know that that was a joke, but, surely, there was enough of a grain of truth in there that you might understand why someone might feel "not my Superman." Also, you once said that The Rise of Skywalker "ruined" The Last Jedi for you. How could it ruin it, though, if TLJ still exists? If you don't like TRoS, why not just make up your own story to use in its place, like in your analogy?

The fact is that, to us spoiled adults, making up our own stories isn't very satisfying and it's not enough to simply enjoy what we already have. We want to enjoy what we've gotten and get new content that's similar to it. The idea that we should just be happy with what we have if we don't like the direction that the new stuff is going in is a bit nonsensical and dismissive. If your team has won the Cup in the past, should you be happy with it and not critical of the direction that the team is going in now because, no matter how bad they are, you'll always have that Cup win? No, of course not. You long for the feeling of winning the Cup again, much like how you long to re-live being a kid watching a favorite character on screen.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a character to remain consistent. It's not racist just because it's a white character and one needn't defend the change just to avoid feeling so. I don't want established black characters (ex. Axel Foley, Apollo Creed, Agent J from MiB, Lando, Shaft) changed to white, either. To suggest that that should be allowed because it wouldn't change the original movies, which people would still always be able to enjoy, would look like a bad argument in that context, so I don't how it can be any better in the reverse context.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
We're not talking about something that we can make up our own stories about, though. We don't have the choice to shape things to our tastes like a kid with a toy and an imagination. We rely on others to bring us new stories. Our enjoyment depends on those new stories being good and what we want to see. If they aren't, we can't just make our own (fan fiction, not withstanding). That's why we complain online.

Remember how you amusingly declared "NOT MY WICKET" after watching the Ewoks movies last month? I know that that was a joke, but, surely, there was enough of a grain of truth in there that you might understand why someone might feel "not my Superman." Also, you once said that The Rise of Skywalker "ruined" The Last Jedi for you. How could it ruin it, though, if TLJ still exists? If you don't like TRoS, why not just make up your own story to use in its place, like in your analogy?

The fact is that, to us spoiled adults, making up our own stories isn't very satisfying and it's not enough to simply enjoy what we already have. We want to enjoy what we've gotten and get new content that's similar to it. The idea that we should just be happy with what we have if we don't like the direction that the new stuff is going in is a bit nonsensical and dismissive. If your team has won the Cup in the past, should you be happy with it and not critical of the direction that the team is going in now because, no matter how bad they are, you'll always have that Cup win? No, of course not. You long for the feeling of winning the Cup again, much like how you long to re-live being a kid watching a favorite character on screen.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a character to remain consistent. It's not racist just because it's a white character and one needn't defend the change just to avoid feeling so. I don't want established black characters (ex. Axel Foley, Apollo Creed, Agent J from MiB, Lando, Shaft) changed to white, either. To suggest that that should be allowed because it wouldn't change the original movies, which people would still always be able to enjoy, would look like a bad argument in that context, so I don't how it can be any better in the reverse context.

There's a big difference here though in that you're rejecting the idea of Black Superman, not an actual finished movie that may or may not be good. The Rise of Skywalker is a completed product that for myriad reasons sucks. The idea of it wasn't inherently bad but the execution of it was.

I don't see Black Superman as a concept as being inherently good or bad. It can be turned into something tangible that we then can assess as good or bad. But the idea itself? I say bring it on. I'm always happy to see what creative people can do.

In a world where Superman III and IV exist, I say no Superman film can be worse than those.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I don’t think ‘black superman’ is the issue for the vast majority of people.

Black Kal-El(Clark Kent) is. Kalel(Calvin Ellis), Val-Zod or Steel, all variants of Superman all black, no one has an issue with them.

DC/WB doing black Kal-El essentially says they don’t have faith in their actual black characters to sell a movie. So instead of using these black stories they’ll use a white one and race swap it, it’s lazy and absolutely deserves to be called out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Folks, again, talking about the race of characters is fine but let’s not go down a road where political terms are coming up.

Sep 19, 2008
I can't stop thinking about how bad MoS was. It was likely the worst movie I ever saw in my life.

And then I see fanboys on DCU and other reddits say it was good. No, it sucked.

"MoS was the best Superman ever."

"MoS was criminally underrated by critics"

No. MoS was awful, convoluted, and terrible. The only saving grace was the visuals.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Well, execs at DC thought it would be a great idea to start a war over Batmans *clears throat* preferences for no f***ing reason.

Snyder just responded with what can only be considered a nuclear barrage and something that can most definitely not be posted here.

We're going to need a lot of popcorn.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
MoS was a letdown for sure but the reward for nailing a Superman movie would be incredible. This trailer was so cool when it came out

Reactions: Bakayoko Ono
Sep 19, 2008
Wonder Woman (2017) is so good.

Recently finished it a few days ago and the score was mesmerizing.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
MoS was a letdown for sure but the reward for nailing a Superman movie would be incredible. This trailer was so cool when it came out

I'm not familiar enough with the comics to be able to make a recommendation for which story line would translate well to the big screen, but maybe it's time see Superman take his talents away from Earth, and face a challenge in another galaxy

It would seem like a logical way to introduce Green Lantern into the mix as well

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Great but what does that mean exactly? Continue with this "universe" or restart it yet again?

Guess this likely means no more Gunn for Marvel with GotG 3 being his last flick for the MCU.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Great but what does that mean exactly? Continue with this "universe" or restart it yet again?

Guess this likely means no more Gunn for Marvel with GotG 3 being his last flick for the MCU.
Surprised by the Gunn news. He’s been a director so is he really going to be like Fiege and hang back and coordinate all of the projects vs work on a film? If he’s prepared for that role change and willing to commit long term then go for it.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Does hiring James Gunn mean that future DC movies will be more colorful, quirky humor, have lots of pop culture references, and accompanied by obscure music soundtracks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->