Movies: DC Universe

brendan

rip bruv/cudi
Feb 12, 2012
California
DC is about to kick the **** out of the cute and flowery Marvel movies. Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman (depending on how well they do critically/boxoffice) will change super hero movies forever.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like that Snyder believes in his movies having heroes that have consequences, you don't have clean cut people without scars, etc like the Marvel heroes, everyone looks perfectly polished and "movie like" while Snyder likes the more gritty approach. While I thoroughly enjoy the Captain America movies, the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and I am sure I will love the Deadpool movie, the rest are trash for me, just nostalgic junk that people like because it has people in it they love.

The funny thing is, Marvel's success is DC's gain. DC got a chance to take a back seat and learn how to make better DC movies, they run the gamut for TV shows (Flash & Arrow are far superior to whatever that horse **** Agents of Shield is and save me the ********, I saw every episode and gave it a chance, how anyone can sit there and tell me that's great is beyond reach).

I still don't like the Will Smith casting, but the rest, I am on board with.

Also really looking forward to the 3rd Captain America movie, 2nd season of Dare Devil whenever that is and the new casting of Punisher (love that casting).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I like both styles a lot, haven't seen any DC movies though I don't think the Marvel movies are necessarily cute and flowery.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
In case anyone is wondering, the actual name of the universe is the DC Extended Universe--DCEU.

As of right now, the Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad trailers have already amassed over 30 million views each. Batman v Superman is already a lock for at least a billion at the box-office, however, I was expecting Suicide Squad to earn a very solid 500 million at the box-office, it's still early, but it may be projecting to earn much higher than that.

Keep in mind that Man of Steel also performed very well at the box-office, besting every pre-Avengers marvel film. The DCEU is looking very promising so far for WB.

I am also liking how well connected Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad already seem to be. We already know that Batman cameos in Suicide Squad, we also know that Waller references Superman's reveal as the cause of supervillains coming out of the shadows, there are also Joker references in BvS, then there are rumours that Luthor will also cameo in SS.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Marvel one got a thread, so this gets one too. Haven't seen MoS yet, but I thought the trailers for BvS and Suicide Squad looked amazing. Discuss.

Perhaps you should add this to the original post:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
Wonder Woman,” directed by Patty Jenkins; starring Gal Gadot (2017)
Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder (2017)
The Flash,” written by Phil Lord and Chris Miller; starring Ezra Miller (2018)
Aquaman,” directed by James Wan; starring Jason Momoa (2018)
Shazam” starring Dwayne Johnson (2019)
Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
Green Lantern Corps” (2020)
"Untitled Batman Film" directed by/and starring Ben Affleck(TBA)
"Untitled Superman Film" starring Henry Cavill (TBA)

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The funny thing is that in the last 30 years, DC has been publishing much better super hero and non-superhero comics (THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, ALL STAR SUPERMAN, BATMAN: YEAR ONE, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, KINGDOM COME, SANDMAN, FABLES, Y THE LAST MAN, 100 BULLETS, THE INVISIBLES, PREACHER, HELLBLAZER, etc. Except for Bats and Supes, they haven't really translated this quality into big screen success, but the flood is coming and I can't wait.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I've always preferred Marvel to DC (my dad was an avid collector and I grew up reading comics that he's been collecting since hte 70s). But not to the point that I still don't enjoy DC comics.

Looking forward to both the new ones coming up. I liked the Superman one, it could have been better, but it was a fun theatre experience.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
I like that Snyder believes in his movies having heroes that have consequences, you don't have clean cut people without scars, etc like the Marvel heroes, everyone looks perfectly polished and "movie like" while Snyder likes the more gritty approach. While I thoroughly enjoy the Captain America movies, the Guardians of the Galaxy movie and I am sure I will love the Deadpool movie, the rest are trash for me, just nostalgic junk that people like because it has people in it they love.

The funny thing is, Marvel's success is DC's gain. DC got a chance to take a back seat and learn how to make better DC movies, they run the gamut for TV shows (Flash & Arrow are far superior to whatever that horse **** Agents of Shield is and save me the ********, I saw every episode and gave it a chance, how anyone can sit there and tell me that's great is beyond reach).

I still don't like the Will Smith casting, but the rest, I am on board with.

Also really looking forward to the 3rd Captain America movie, 2nd season of Dare Devil whenever that is and the new casting of Punisher (love that casting).
um...

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
All I'm gonna say is DC better avoid the Marvel bs of just releasing movies to further the plot and getting away from the actual "movie" part of having a movie. They constantly have luckluster villians and in the end the movie itself doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things because nothing of significance really happens.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
DC is about to kick the **** out of the cute and flowery Marvel movies. Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman (depending on how well they do critically/boxoffice) will change super hero movies forever.

Maybe but doubt it. Suicide Squad looks meh at best and the Batman v Superman looks just a step up from the last Superman which is not a high bar. Nothing from DC looks like it will surpass the last Batman trilogy which was good, very good.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

How anybody can watch the teenbeat drama of the Flash and Arrow is beyond me.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Flash is hard to get through I'll be honest

It took me like three tries to get through the first episode. The show is too long and the dialogue is corny

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I put the blame on CW more. They just can't seem to ditch the same tropes that troubled Smallville. Flash had it's issues (though not major) with teen drama in it's first season and the last season of Arrow was probably the worst season yet where the teen drama aspect took over way too much. So in that sense, Marvel have faired better since AoS, Agent Carter or Daredevil didn't have any.

I just hope DC doesn't go too Nolan and try to make things too realistic/gritty and instead just dare to be what they're supposed to be: comic book movies. Be proud of having heroes and villains with super powers/abilities, not ashamed of it. It's okay also to laugh once in a while.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
images

... I just hope DC doesn't go too Nolan and try to make things too realistic/gritty and instead just dare to be what they're supposed to be: comic book movies. Be proud of having heroes and villains with super powers/abilities, not ashamed of it. It's okay also to laugh once in a while.
100% agreement. DC has the classic clean shiny heroes (Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash, Aquaman, the Martian Manhunter, etc.) and before The DKR DC never tried to be too realistic/gritty. Marvel has perfected the gritty thing with Wolverine, Daredevil, the Punisher, etc. and DC shouldn't try to copy that. They should go with their strength of having the classic heroes who were saving our world ;) before Marvel even existed.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
if DC wanted to actually be realistic, Batman would challenge Superman to a fight and proceed to get beaten to a bloody pulp in a nanosecond. Then cut to him being in the hospital with a full body cast.

There's your realism.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

Arrow season 1 was great, 2 it started going downhill, and 3 was garbage. Flash had some of the same PMS problems of Arrow season 3 but its overall storyline and great villains makes it interesting imo.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
if DC wanted to actually be realistic, Batman would challenge Superman to a fight and proceed to get beaten to a bloody pulp in a nanosecond. Then cut to him being in the hospital with a full body cast. There's your realism.
Nope. Supes would be flying to the grocery store, turn his head for a nanosecond, and melt Batman into a puddle. That should be the movie and it should be one minute long.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Nope. Supes would be flying to the grocery store, turn his head for a nanosecond, and melt Batman into a puddle. That should be the movie and it should be one minute long.

I still think he'd avoid straight up killing him if it wasn't necessary, but yeah. :laugh: Batman does so well in the comics because it's necessary to have him do well or there wouldn't be a comic to read.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I still think he'd avoid straight up killing him if it wasn't necessary, but yeah. :laugh: Batman does so well in the comics because it's necessary to have him do well or there wouldn't be a comic to read.
Agreed. Supes dropping a cement truck on Bats wouldn't make for good reading. :laugh:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Well, Man of Steel was kind of a mess; I thought the concept for Suicide Squad would be great until the trailer focused almost entirely on Will Smith and whoever is playing Harley Quinn acting as if they were in a '90's post-punk music video, with slow-mo walks and thousand year stares directly into the camera; and I doubt I can see Superman v Batman without thinking "Dammit, why is this not Bryan Cranston?!?!?" every time I see Jessie Eisenberg pretend to be Lex Luthor, so....

If it's any solace, I'm already a boarderline h8'er of Marvel films anyway, with any review of mine going something like "It was entertaining, buuuuuuuuuuuut...." followed by a wall of verbal slander regarding the film.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
From what I saw in the Suicide Squad trailer I think Margot Robbie is going to be the best representation of Harley Quinn that I could ever hope for. That alone has me hyped for the movie.

soya_sauce_chicken

Mar 28, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
From what I saw in the Suicide Squad trailer I think Margot Robbie is going to be the best representation of Harley Quinn that I could ever hope for. That alone has me hyped for the movie.

for me it's the other way around.. her little bits of talking that they showed was soo bad.. could be the writing or what not.. iw as excitied at first from the casting, but when watching her "act" and talk.. i was like she appears to be the weakest link in this movie...
i'm just hopig Leto can pull off a great Joker and make me forget his "costume" lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad