Movies: DC Universe

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll take this with a grain of salt but it was reported today that Michael B. Jordan is being considered for Superman.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The only way a reboot would be worthwhile is if they actually sit down and plan everything out like Marvel does. DC has always seemed to be almost spur of the moment while Marvel has movies planned for years in advanced. Marvel also pays attention to details to make the whole universe connect. It would also not hurt to get some actual good producers and writers in and not make everything so dark. A little darker than Marvel fine, but not as much as the Snyder-verse has been for the most part.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Marvel didn't really plan everything out ahead of time though. It just seems that way now in retrospect. What they did was take their time building the universe and introducing their characters.

The DCEU was hopelessly f***ed the moment they announced Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The Avengers would have been garbage as well if they had introduced Thor, Captain America and The Hulk in The Avengers movie.

Anyway, it sounds like this isn't actually a done deal and that this is a lot of posturing between WB and Cavill's management. That Grace chick on YouTube is pretty good with inside sources and she seems convinced that nothing has been set in stone and that this is just some (unprecedented) public negotiations.

Last edited:

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
I'll take this with a grain of salt but it was reported today that Michael B. Jordan is being considered for Superman.
I’m not trying to be that guy but Superman is white I’m sorry ..

I think Michael B Jordan would be good for the Green Lantern though

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Marvel didn't really plan everything out ahead of time though. It just seems that way now in retrospect. What they did was take their time building the universe and introducing their characters.

The DCEU was hopelessly ****ed the moment they announced Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The Avengers would have been garbage as well if they had introduced Thor, Captain America and The Hulk in The Avengers movie.

Anyway, it sounds like this isn't actually a done deal and that this is a lot of posturing between WB and Cavill's management. That Grace chick on YouTube is pretty good with inside sources and she seems convinced that nothing has been set in stone and that this is just some (unprecedented) public negotiations.

Yes and no. At the start they did indeed take their time but there was always a plan to lead into Avengers and once Phase one started advancing, they started to plan farther and father into the future. A number of people including Feige have stated they have about 10 movies planned into the future at the moment.

I still think one of the big mistakes made with the DCEU was that they have a Superman movie then another Superman but also Batman and they include Wonder Woman. They then do Suicide Squad which does not really tie into the rest other than Batman's cameos, then the solo Wonder Woman movie and voila already at the big team-up movie of Justice League. We get very little information on the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg, other than small scenes here and there.

Meanwhile Marvel had introduced their main characters via solo films (two in the case of Iron Man) and allowed us to learn a decent amount about Black Widow , less so Hawkeye, in Iron Man 2 before they arrived at Avengers Assemble.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Agreed, there are just characters you don't change races or genders whiles others it matters less. Superman you don't change but there is John Stewart as the guy that took over for Hal Jordan who is a black character.

Reactions: Gerbe42

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Honestly DC has been embarrassing hard-core fans for years and it’s getting sickening i’m at the point of just waving the white flag they just make the worst decisions just like they’re making flashpoint the first flash movie lol just absolutely idiotic

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I don't think there is anything wrong in stating that. It would be like casting Black Panther or any number of other characters who are people of color with a white actor. Doesn't work and there's really nothing in the source material that offers any kind of leeway.

Reactions: Gerbe42

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Agreed, there are just characters you don't change races or genders whiles others it matters less. Superman you don't change but there is John Stewart as the guy that took over for Hal Jordan who is a black character.

And people will jump on with the “race card” because of that I’m fine with having a black super girl but Superman you can’t jist change it will piss everyone off

Michael B Jordan Would be Great as Green Lantern for John Stewart imo

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think a black Superman could work perfectly fine, but then I am not a Superman fan at all, never have been.

That said, MBJ doesn't strike me as the Superman type. He is too small and I feel like if Superman has any defining physical characteristic it is a big f***ing square jaw, which MBJ doesn't have.

An Idris Elba type looks more like Superman to me than MBJ.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm also reading that Jon Hamm wants to play Batman. Not seeing if there's interest from DC however.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm already over the DCEU, aside from mild interest in Wonder Woman 1984, so the sooner they reboot the whole thing the greater the likelihood that I'll care (provided that they don't reboot so hard that they feel the need to do origin stories that are already better known than the Founding Fathers, there never needs to be another rendition of the Superman or Batman origin story, stop it).

I honestly think they need to sit to the side for a little bit, let Marvel unwind and go into a bit of a lull that will surely follow once the heavy hitters of their universes back out, and then try to jump in while Marvel/Disney tries to keep the burning embers of glory alive. Give fans time to get over the previous mess of their own creation and thereby give an alternative to Marvel in five or so years.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The only way a reboot would be worthwhile is if they actually sit down and plan everything out like Marvel does. DC has always seemed to be almost spur of the moment while Marvel has movies planned for years in advanced. Marvel also pays attention to details to make the whole universe connect. It would also not hurt to get some actual good producers and writers in and not make everything so dark. A little darker than Marvel fine, but not as much as the Snyder-verse has been for the most part.

I think DC just needs to concentrate on making one good movie at a time and let interest generate organically instead of trying to force a big shared universe with a bunch of crappy CGI fests.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
I’m not trying to be that guy but Superman is white I’m sorry ... I think Michael B Jordan would be good for the Green Lantern though
Agreed with both points. Making existing white characters black is racist, because you're not creating black characters.

Although I'm a Hal Jordan fan, John Stewart in the JLA is fine with me.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I wouldn't say its racist. I would say it is shallow and crass marketing ploy rather than an organic story that somebody wanted to tell.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thank the lord Affleck is done as Batman.

Sad to see Cavill go - but the Rock as Superman would make too much sense.

I hope for Batman they don't choose Hamm or some other older guy.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Nuke the entirety of the DC franchise into the ground, minus WW and the animated shit.

Then go and hire the writers from the animated DC series & movies and let them write a coherent f***ing string of movies.

Oh, and get Nolan on to advise, direct and produce them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Nuke the entirety of the DC franchise into the ground, minus WW and the animated ****.

Then go and hire the writers from the animated DC series & movies and let them write a coherent ****ing string of movies.

Oh, and get Nolan on to advise, direct and produce them.

I think there was a separate thread for DC's animated stuff here, possibly started by myself even, but it didn't seem to have survived the forum "upgrade", so I'll address the issue here. The last patch of DC movies have been quite frankly disappointing. The animation is looking cheaper and cheaper. And holy shit at the difference in quality between the two animated Suicide Squad movies.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I think there was a separate thread for DC's animated stuff here, possibly started by myself even, but it didn't seem to have survived the forum "upgrade", so I'll address the issue here. The last patch of DC movies have been quite frankly disappointing. The animation is looking cheaper and cheaper. And holy **** at the difference in quality between the two animated Suicide Squad movies.
Batman: Ninja was hot garbage. I thought Gotham By Gaslight was better. They even butchered the Judas Contract. The DCAU has nosedived since they tried having somewhat of a continuity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad