Movies: DC Universe

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched the animated Justice League vs The Fatal Five. It was done with the 90's style animated Batman and Superman series and I have to say I enjoyed the style and story more than the Death of Superman and Reign Of The Supermen films. Voice acting was better in my opinion, of course hearing Kevin Conroy as Batman just feels right. I actually remember seeing Star Boy in some of the old Superman comics published in Finland in some Justice League story (only had one part of the story, never found the other parts). 8+/10 for me.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Its a shame they cant get their shit together because the DC characters have always been so much better than Marvel overall. The bad guys alone in DC own Marvel.

And everyone grew up either loving Batman or Superman over anyone else(with maybe spiderman coming close)

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Its a shame they cant get their **** together because the DC characters have always been so much better than Marvel overall. The bad guys alone in DC own Marvel.

And everyone grew up either loving Batman or Superman over anyone else(with maybe spiderman coming close)
Not sure about that.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Its a shame they cant get their **** together because the DC characters have always been so much better than Marvel overall. The bad guys alone in DC own Marvel.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Issue with DC is outside of their core heroes (and I define core very narrowly - Batman, Supes, Green Lantern, WW), their second tier is lacking. Marvel has a much deeper bench.

I also think that, generally within the core characters, Marvel takes a few more risks with their stories than DC (Batman probably excepted - they've let Batman get weird).

Villains - I think Marvel owns DC here. I mean, Joker is great and Batman has a strong rogues gallery, but his are necessarily only useful foils for him. Superman's villains outside of Brainiac and Darkseid are meh. Flash? Pshaw. I can't even name a WW villain. Then you have a few other good ones like Black Adam, but generally DC has a shallow bench there as well.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So word has it the the DCEU will now be split in two with movies like Wonder Woman 2, Aquaman 2 continuing in this one universe and James Gunn would take over mostly producing and running a new universe with the possibility years down the road that the two would merge... He would basically be the Kevin Feige for the DCEU.

James Gunn Will Reportedly Help DC Rebuild Their Cinematic Universe

Last week, We Got This Covered reported that we’d heard Warner Bros. was planning to effectively reboot the DC Extended Universe. The original continuity will stand in the likes of the Wonder Woman and Aquaman franchises, but new projects – like The Batman and Supergirl – will take place in a fresh timeline that won’t connect with the old movies at all.
At the time, we believed this meant WB was attempting to sweep the past of the DCEU under the rug. However, our source now tells us that the studio is turning to a certain filmmaker who also works with Marvel to rebuild their fractured franchise.
WGTC has heard that James Gunn has been appointed to get the DCEU back in shape. From what we understand, the diector is set to be involved in several upcoming projects as a producer, with his role as overseer of the cinematic universe also meaning he’ll be involved in some capacity in almost all films moving forward, even if he’s not explicitly credited.

Reactions: SteveH124

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So word has it the the DCEU will now be split in two with movies like Wonder Woman 2, Aquaman 2 continuing in this one universe and James Gunn would take over mostly producing and running a new universe with the possibility years down the road that the two would merge... He would basically be the Kevin Feige for the DCEU.

Last week, We Got This Covered reported that we’d heard Warner Bros. was planning to effectively reboot the DC Extended Universe. The original continuity will stand in the likes of the Wonder Woman and Aquaman franchises, but new projects – like The Batman and Supergirl – will take place in a fresh timeline that won’t connect with the old movies at all.
At the time, we believed this meant WB was attempting to sweep the past of the DCEU under the rug. However, our source now tells us that the studio is turning to a certain filmmaker who also works with Marvel to rebuild their fractured franchise.
WGTC has heard that James Gunn has been appointed to get the DCEU back in shape. From what we understand, the diector is set to be involved in several upcoming projects as a producer, with his role as overseer of the cinematic universe also meaning he’ll be involved in some capacity in almost all films moving forward, even if he’s not explicitly credited.

There is a lot of crazy rumours on line about what is going on with the DCU

With the crash and burn of Swamp Thing and the uncertainty of The Doom Patrol, I scan see their on line service being merged with either Amazon or Netflix or one of the other services coming on line over the next year

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

With the crash and burn of Swamp Thing and the uncertainty of The Doom Patrol, I scan see their on line service being merged with either Amazon or Netflix or one of the other services coming on line over the next year
Not only the film and TV parts of DC are having issues and are a mess. Rob Liefeld is predicting the collapse of DC comics. Supposedly there is panic and big changes with the trigger being the issue that exposed Batman's penis of all things. They are also supposedly going to be closing Vertigo comics. Market share is comparable to Marvel but Marvel charges more per book and thus makes more money.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The article I linked suggested DC Universe would be merged with Warnervision or whatever their service will be called.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Two universes is so freaking stupid; do a flashpoint and reset it that way. You can keep aqua man and wonder woman that way also

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
They were going to with The Flash movie but now Ezra Miller is writing it and who knows what comes off it.

The guy who has one writing credit to his name not including the view he’s going to star in

*insert oh right Jennifer Lawrence gif”

These are reasons why DC is struggling

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
@beowulf @SteveH124 The Flash TV series was great for a bit. The problem is they did too much too soon brought in way too many characters and made it about the other characters more than him. It also didn't help that the third season was awful. They accomplished their mission of syndication though with 114 episodes and counting. I'm really curious if they can pull this next season off without Valdes or if it just kills the chemistry of the main cast.

As for DC movies, the answer is simple. They need to do a Lobo as an answer to Deadpool. Very easy movie to do with a very non serious tone. Also enough with boring Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern. John Stewart is a much more interesting character. Use him.

Reactions: SteveH124

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
@beowulf @SteveH124 The Flash TV series was great for a bit. The problem is they did too much too soon brought in way too many characters and made it about the other characters more than him. It also didn't help that the third season was awful. They accomplished their mission of syndication though with 114 episodes and counting. I'm really curious if they can pull this next season off without Valdes or if it just kills the chemistry of the main cast.

As for DC movies, the answer is simple. They need to do a Lobo as an answer to Deadpool. Very easy movie to do with a very non serious tone. Also enough with boring Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern. John Stewart is a much more interesting character. Use him.

Im currently on 2017-18 year of the arrowverse. The flash "thinker" season. Mehhh so far.

Agree on your DC movie idea.

Its such a shame if they did the DCEU right instead of botching the whole thing, this would be a perfect time for Justice league now that MCU is kinda done.

Reactions: donghabs98

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Just watched the animated Justice League vs The Fatal Five. It was done with the 90's style animated Batman and Superman series and I have to say I enjoyed the style and story more than the Death of Superman and Reign Of The Supermen films. Voice acting was better in my opinion, of course hearing Kevin Conroy as Batman just feels right. I actually remember seeing Star Boy in some of the old Superman comics published in Finland in some Justice League story (only had one part of the story, never found the other parts). 8+/10 for me.

I’m still waiting for DC to do a true to form Legion animated movie. The TV series was okay to meh, but there’s such a good vault of stories waiting to be told with that group.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I keep seeing ads for new episodes for Krypton during Raw and Smackdown streams and he's there. The concept didn't seem very interesting to me but it looks to have great production values and I guess has been received well?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Im currently on 2017-18 year of the arrowverse. The flash "thinker" season. Mehhh so far.

Agree on your DC movie idea.

Its such a shame if they did the DCEU right instead of botching the whole thing, this would be a perfect time for Justice league now that MCU is kinda done.

The Thinker season was OK. Him and his wife really got on my nerves and The Flash/Iris dynamic got really tiresome. Season five is better. I think it goes 1>2>5>4>3.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I keep seeing ads for new episodes for Krypton during Raw and Smackdown streams and he's there. The concept didn't seem very interesting to me but it looks to have great production values and I guess has been received well?

I heard. He looks cool. No reason he can't be on the big screen. He doesn't have to be rough, more like an ironic antihero in space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad